Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:23:42 AM EDT
I was debating on what to use to color my faux engraved auto sear pin to make it look like a worn steel part. I tried black Krylon, grey Krylon, and black lacquer. I wasn't too happy with how any of them came out, and it still wore off with my thumb.

So, I went digging in the parts bin and found an actual sear pin. Not sure where the hell it came from, as I don't own any MG's or auto sears, but there it was. So I got a hair brained idea.

I drilled VERY shallow holes in the engraved area, chopped the ends of the sear off, and press fit them in the holes. They are only about .060" deep, but that's all it took. Come out looking pretty damn authentic!

(DISCLAIMER: This is in no way an attempt at manufacturing a full auto machine gun. There is no way that an auto sear can be installed without major modification to the lower. This is a fake sear pin intended to make my rifle look like an authentic USGI weapon. Also, the full auto selector has been properly neutered, and the rest of the FCG components are semi auto.)

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:32:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow thats awesome I wonder if i could use a prick punch and drill a faux pin hole on each side of my lower. What size drill bit amd what kind? Titanium?
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wow thats awesome I wonder if i could use a prick punch and drill a faux pin hole on each side of my lower. What size drill bit amd what kind? Titanium?

It really wasn't hard, just make sure you go SLOW. I used a .125" (1/8") regular steel bit, aluminum is plenty soft for a standard bit. You really could chop the back end of the drill bit and use that for the faux pin ends, would probably want to round the edges a touch and paint them with some grey Allumahyde or something.

Please share if you try it!
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice , looks very real man . I love it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#4]
That is completely, and in all ways, a big WIN!

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, talk about convincing!
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice work. That thing looks real.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice job.  You did it right.  Has been a popular retro mod over the years.  Can cause a little controversy in certain circles that like to argue.  If it can't go FA I'd say you're fine but noclaimer is a good idea.  Is your sear pin dimpled?  I've got a bunch of them dimpled and non dimpled.  Again nice buld and attention to details.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice!! Don't they do that with the 90's series HK rifle lowers, e.g. clipped and pin the mag catch to make it look like a real take-down pin? I just happen to have a Colt 1/2 moon carrier sitting around.  So I was thinking about milling FCG pocket and then separate TD pocket on one of my 80% lower, essentially leave a sear-block.  Then drill the hole all the way through the sear block and insert auto-sear pin.    You can't make it f/a due to built-in sear block a-la-Colt Sporter lower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice job.  You did it right.  Has been a popular retro mod over the years.  Can cause a little controversy in certain circles that like to argue.  If it can't go FA I'd say you're fine but noclaimer is a good idea.  Is your sear pin dimpled?  I've got a bunch of them dimpled and non dimpled.  Again nice buld and attention to details.

I posted pics of the rifle with the faux pin engraving on another gun forum, and the usual paranoia ensued. Everyone is convinced that I am the only one who has ever done that and that if an hyper-vigilant LEO see the rifle, I will be arrested and sit in jail for a day before they figure out it's not a real machine gun.

In my experience, when I see and talk to LEO's at the range, the last thing on their mind is "who can I arrest". I'm not worried about it, crack the receivers, no sear, all good.

The pin was not dimpled.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice!! Don't they do that with the 90's series HK rifle lowers, e.g. clipped and pin the mag catch to make it look like a real take-down pin? I just happen to have a Colt 1/2 moon carrier sitting around.  So I was thinking about milling FCG pocket and then separate TD pocket on one of my 80% lower, essentially leave a sear-block.  Then drill the hole all the way through the sear block and insert auto-sear pin.    You can't make it f/a due to built-in sear block a-la-Colt Sporter lower.

That is a fine idea! I might do that on my next 80% GM lower.

ETA: Wouldn't any BC work with that setup? I don't think the bottom of the BC would touch the top of the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Very nice detail!
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Bravo!
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
My attemp

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I've thought about a teeny tiny hole saw or chuck up a small leather hole punch.

Too chicken to try it! Yall go first and I'll follow!
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Thats hardened steel - how did you chop the ends off? How did you hold the cut off peice ?

I like it, and thought about doing the same...but too chicken out here in CA....I don't even do faux engraving of a sear hole on my 80%'s.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thats hardened steel - how did you chop the ends off? How did you hold the cut off peice ?

I like it, and thought about doing the same...but too chicken out here in CA....I don't even do faux engraving of a sear hole on my 80%'s.

I used a Dremel to cut it, and pinched the end pieces in some needlenose vise grips, then I sanded the pins down to desired depth on an upright belt sander. It cut and sanded pretty easy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 2:10:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice.  I've thought about suggesting that Nodak Spud integrate fake sear pins into their retro lower forgings (i.e. just a circular dimple), but this is better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't some of the early SP1's have the sear pin holes drilled with a solid block inplace of the auto sear.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#19]

That is a fine idea! I might do that on my next 80% GM lower.

ETA: Wouldn't any BC work with that setup? I don't think the bottom of the BC would touch the top of the receiver.

Yes any BC would work, but Colt did it to be PC and to prevent anyone of converting a semi-bolt carrier to f/a.  It's a bit extreme, but it would eliminate any doubt that you're making a "machine gun".
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice - I considered doing that exact thing to my XM16E1 clone, but am a little paranoid about the legality issues. I think posting it here with such a public disclaimer is a good idea - just not sure what the BATF's ruling would be on it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I personally don't even see the reason to even mill the M16 hammer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Mine is a small nail that I cold blued. Haxsawed a peice off and hammered it in.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 5:02:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mine is a small nail that I cold blued. Haxsawed a peice off and hammered it in.

That's just genious BROvet and great job aging your NDS lower.
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/21/2012 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been asked to do this before for people. I gotta say a few things. First, I agree that a good job looks damn sexy.  Second, ATF does frown on this, flame away if you like I got this from the horses mouth.  No it's not illegal, but if your the type who enjoys extra attention at the local range, then go ahead. Lastly, if not done properly and your drill finds it's way ALL the way through the wall of the lower you have successfully made a machine gun in ATF's eyes. Your lower is now trash, or worse, evidence.   Knowing what I know now, I would not do this proffesionally for someone. But an individual doing it on his own.......
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 2:48:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#27]
correct, but colt did pin in a sear block at some point, this pin isnt in the correct place.
http://archery.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=482041
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top