Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2013 5:30:56 PM EDT
I was bored so, I dug around in my spare parts box and found a grip that wasn't quite as nice as all the rest.

Spent a few minutes measuring, looking at pictures, and comparing before I taped it off with masking tape and went after it with a Dremel. A few minutes with a cut off wheel, and a hack saw, and I had the basic shape knocked out. Another 45 minutes with a sanding drum and sanding blocks corrected my slight mistake, leveled it off well enough, and rounded the edges. Polished it up with some fine grit paper and some rubbing compound and mounted it to my 607.

Not bad for an unplanned afternoon project.

Close up.

Stock open.

With 30 round full curve mag.

It's a bit weird to hold, but not hard to get used to. Definitely an interesting look.

Now all I need is to have the barrel chopped (saving my pennies) and get proper hand guards and a rear cap.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I like.........looks good 57.
What about the bayo lug, you going to cut it off?
Looks like I'm looking at about 2 more months on my stamp.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Great Job!
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I was worried it would be too short but, there's just enough to get a good grip. If you've got an extra pistol grip, I'd recommend it as an accessory.

Bayo lug is probably going to go away after I have the barrel cut. Still seems wrong but, it's correct and, it's not like it'll be any use on a gun that short.

Did you go ahead and do the 2 stamps for the rifle and moderator?
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks. I was worried it would be too short but, there's just enough to get a good grip. If you've got an extra pistol grip, I'd recommend it as an accessory.

Bayo lug is probably going to go away after I have the barrel cut. Still seems wrong but, it's correct and, it's not like it'll be any use on a gun that short.

Did you go ahead and do the 2 stamps for the rifle and moderator?

no.........just the sbr for now. I'll probably do a faux mod, but I also like the look of the 3 prong fh.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I have to say that I prefer the 3 prong. I'd like to get a mod (real or fake) just to complete the kit though.

Heck, this little thing has me bad. I'm trying to come up with a way to make repro M11E1 cleaning rods for it now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#6]
love it

If you ever decide to get rid of it, let me know and I'll buy it
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice, I'm doing mine with the same grip
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Spent a few minutes measuring, looking at pictures, and comparing before I taped it off with masking tape and went after it with a Dremel. A few minutes with a cut off wheel, and a hack saw, and I had the basic shape knocked out. Another 45 minutes with a sanding drum and sanding blocks corrected my slight mistake, leveled it off well enough, and rounded the edges. Polished it up with some fine grit paper and some rubbing compound and mounted it to my 607.

What did you use for measurements?

Inquiring minds want to know.

David

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]
VERY nice!

Just saw a 607 stock and NDS lower sell on EE.

Wish I'd had been the one that bought it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What did you use for measurements?

Inquiring minds want to know.

David

A mark 1 eyeball and a 6 inch scale.

I used the scale to line the grip up with a 20 round magazine to match the pictures I have then I just made my best guess by looking at it. It was not an example of accurate measurement or cutting. I spent most of the time it took grinding and sanding it back to the right shape.

To give you an idea... it took about 10 minutes to cut it... and about 45 to fix it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I like it!!!

Been thinking about trying to do the same thing for my 607 style dedicated 22lr.

Link Posted: 7/7/2013 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like it!!!

Been thinking about trying to do the same thing for my 607 style dedicated 22lr.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/ar15guy/IMG_1886_zps5a36edf2.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd30/ar15guy/IMG_1888_zps0941b2fc.jpg

I think it would look good with the slickside upper
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I also chopped a grip for my 607, I switch it on and off sometimes. I couldn't bring myself to modifying a retro A1 grip so I made an A2 look like an A1.

Link Posted: 7/9/2013 4:32:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I also chopped a grip for my 607, I switch it on and off sometimes. I couldn't bring myself to modifying a retro A1 grip so I made an A2 look like an A1.
<a href="http://s817.photobucket.com/user/VictorCastle/media/607shortygripAB_zpsab775e31.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i817.photobucket.com/albums/zz95/VictorCastle/607shortygripAB_zpsab775e31.jpg</a>

Gorgeous rifle.

Someday, when I retire maybe, I'll have time and money to build something like that.

Love your sig line.  an obscure quote from an obscure, but one of my favorite, movies.

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top