Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2013 10:48:41 AM EDT
Some of you will remember my old DOE Variant thread, where I was interested in the alternate 633 variant shown in the Black Rifle II.  In that thread, we decided (from the table) that it was the RO630.  And, amazingly, My65Pan stepped up and cranked out a stunning aluminum free float handguard like the one shown.

Well, it's been 3+ years now, but holy shit, I finally have it all together.  This not only completes the 630, but my 633 that I first came to Arfcom to learn about, back a decade ago.  So, hurray for finishing long term projects.

Anyway, on to the photos!

633:

630:

The rest of the photos, as well as larger versions of these can all be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22290667@N08/sets/72157638889605033/

Now, I can already hear some of you grumble.  No, they aren't SBRs.  Nor will they be.  I live in CA (Hence the Bullet Button), and SBRs are impossible to get here, so a pistol will have to suffice.  Unfortunately, even the process of getting a pistol is a long, and labourious one, if you can even find someone to deal with the hassle.  So I only have one lower to go around.  Unfortunately, that means I can't get any photos of the two of them together, because they're kind of the same beast.

Getting all of this together took years, and took the help of a bunch of you (RBRD) diseased lot.  There is no way I would have finished these without a ton of help from you guys, and I can't express my gratitude adequately.  

With that said, here's the parts, and all of the people who helped get these things together:

9mm Lower
    Nodak A1 Grey Stripped Lower                                        - Nodak Spud via Toby's Tactical
    Bullet Button                                                                       - Irvington Arms
    used, Grey Trigger Guard                                                  - Boywonder77
    DPMS Lower Parts Kit                                                        - Midway
    Spike's Tactical Pistol Buffer Tube Kit                                - Midway
    Colt 9mm Mag Blocks                                                          - Pete Henrikson
    Pinning of Colt 9mm Mag Blocks                                          - M60Joe

633/DOE Upper
    Repro 231 Handguards                                                        - Matsucorp
    Colt 633 DOE 9mm Barrel                                                      - ShortyB
    Colt 9mm Upper (black) w/port door & rear sight                 - Tackleberry1145
    Garrison 633 Flip up Front                                                     - Garrison Mfg
    Garrison 633 Handguard Cap                                               -  Garrison Mfg
    Front Sight Pinning Service                                                   -  Garrison Mfg
    CMMG Non Ramped 9mm Bolt                                               -  Arfcom (Sorry, couldn't figure out who I got this from)

630/DOE Prototype Upper
    Solid Aluminum Free Float handguard                                    - My65Pan
         XM Grey Anodizing                                                           -  US Anodizing
    Colt 9mm Upper Receiver                                                       -  ark-and-spark
    Colt 9mm DOE style barrel.  Threaded by Adco                      -  gunz213
    Prototype Front Sight, made by WATom                                   - WATom
    Upper Assembly/Parking/Pinning Front Sight                            - Braceman

You are all amazing, and you are all why I love this community.  Thanks a ton.

Link Posted: 12/21/2013 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Awsome!   The craftsmanship is unbelieveable.  Bet that baby is gonna be loud.  Started shooting 9mm out of 16" carbine AR and really like it.  Accuarte to 100 yds and cheap to load ammo.  Definately an above the norm build.  I'm not really into pistols or SBR's to date but that build could sure grow on a person very fast.  How much in parts would you estimate? I'm guessing lots and lots of labor hours.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice! Congratulations on getting it all done. Have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven't shot it yet.  Just finally got the lower back from M60Joe last week, and the holidays are pretty hectic.  I'll be out of town until Jan, so it'll have to wait until the new year.

As for how much into it?  Well, I have a text document for each of my builds, where I keep track of who I got what from (as seen above), and also how much I paid for things.  So, I'm sure I'm missing a few bits and bobs, but the bulk of it is like this:
Lower: $589.59
633 Upper: $695
630 Upper: $715

So my total comes in a hair under 2k at: $1999.59

Not a ton of labor on my end, other than the years of searching for parts and shipping things around.  But ya, WATom, and My65Pan put in a good number of hours for the handguard and sight.  I can't thank those two enough.  Would never have been able to make the 630 without their help.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 11:13:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you're the first one to replicate a 630 - that HG is a toughey! Great job bud. Takes a lot of diligence to finish something like these. IM me if you want and I'll explain how I got a GP style sling work well with a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I do have more of those FSB's that I made at the same time if someone wants one. They've been sitting for a while.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have to applaud ur determination op and well done for putting those pistols together they are gorgeous! Congrats
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
From a fellow Californian - sweet builds! And I feel your pain with the SBR issue...
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Sheer awesomeness !
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool!  I have five AR15 projects in work right now, your pictures may lead to a sixth.  RBRD!
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
That's pretty cool, great work
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#11]
that Solid Aluminum Free Float handguard is sexy.  how do you time it?  did you need to shim it to get the sling loops to sit at a 45 degree angle or did you just get lucky.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys!  

BoyWonder, I didn't.  They aren't actually at 45 degrees, they're a bit off.  Doesn't bother me much.  Though I suppose if it did, I could try making some shims.
Either I got lucky, or more likely, My65Pan is cool/smart/anal enough to have cut all but the slots and ribs, snugged it up on an upper/barrel he had, and then marked it for where they should go. (like so)
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys!  

BoyWonder, I didn't.  They aren't actually at 45 degrees, they're a bit off.  Doesn't bother me much.  Though I suppose if it did, I could try making some shims.
Either I got lucky, or more likely, My65Pan is cool/smart/anal enough to have cut all but the slots and ribs, snugged it up on an upper/barrel he had, and then marked it for where they should go. (like so)
View Quote

glad it lined up without any additional work.  you're probably right about my65pan, he doesn't seem like the guy to just randomly cut slots
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Really well done!  The creativity and variety of retro around here never ceases to amaze me.  Great job to you and those who helped with components.
Congrats!
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Freakin' awesome!  I don't even like AR pistols--but I'd be happy to own either of those!
That 630 handguard and the 633 front sight are just gorgeous.

Congrats on getting them done--especially behind enemy lines.  I'm sure that's a great feeling!
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Those are both gorgeous and uniquely sexy!

You need to move asap so you can SBR them

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:04:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those are both gorgeous and uniquely sexy!  

You need to move asap so you can SBR them

View Quote

This or sell them to me so i can

I keep coming back to this thread to look at them because they are so awesome
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Love those DOEs. Very nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#19]
WOW! Those are dead sexy for sure Tumerboy!

What are you using for the buffer tube? After the roof gets done and the coins can flow again I have a pistol build I'm working on.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#20]
For those interested, I'll have a whole ton of DOE parts by March. Maybe sooner, but March for sure.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:31:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Incredible builds man, don't think I've ever seen one of those float tubes before.

Cheers for sticking with it, I know how long term builds go, and sometimes they lose steam and never get completed.

Nicely done.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Sweet! I'm glad I could help.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Very cool !!  I am about to send in my stamp for my doe,
So maybe in about a year I'll have some pics
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:14:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks again guys.  I do love the ugly ducklings of the AR world.  This build completes my personal trifecta of oddball carbines: 607, 231, 633.

The sad part is, other than the gun bullshit in this state, I really love it here.  It's my home, and guns, as much as I like them, aren't enough of a reason to move.

Cal30M1, it's a Spike's Pistol Buffer Kit (though mine doesn't have the QD socket.)

Trimdad, until then, just keep posting photos of your boxes of parts.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top