Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2014 4:32:40 PM EDT
I got this in the mail a couple days ago from APEX.

I want to convert one of these into a BFPU/BTDT looking rifle.

How do you all that have built a BFPU looking rifle get the finish wear to your parts? Tips & tricks please.

Also any guidance or pictures that could help a person pick points of natural wear would be appreciated. I've looked through the "Real Deal" picture thread & there are not many close up pictures to go by. Post your own pictures if you like.

I've said in the past that I could not prematurely wear a perfectly good finish on a rifle, but after getting this receiver & seeing the pictures of some of the other well used items that I'm buying from other forum members I am really anxious to get down to it.

Finished pictures if anyone is interested in seeing.

Now if I could just find a worn seat belt sling.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I am doing the same thing as you but have only done this to a slip ring.  I wasn't able to find a worn slip ring but I bought one off the EE with some big dings in it.  (this was before the latest round of worn parts kits showed up!)  I bolted together some other parts with an aluminum (airsoft?) barrel to get the wear in the right places, the string takes the place of a gas tube.  I was surprised how hard it was to wear the anodizing off, I spent over an hour with gloves grinding backyard mud as hard as I could and it barely took any finish off.  I kept adding more sand from the gutter to the mud to get any kind of wear, I eventually broke down and used an old rag and worked it around the slip ring like I was polishing a crankshaft journal.  That polishing technique might work too good, it removed the finish but it ended up being shiny on the ridges.  (what would I expect, I was polishing it right?)  I'm happy with how it turned out, I can't tell if I should have done more, I'm thinking the slip ring will oxidize over time and the shine will turn dull  if I keep it oil free.  The hand guards on the jig are very low miles from one of the earlier parts kits, all my rubbing barely smoothed the fat end of the hand guards.  I've got an 80% lower I plan on having Victor at US Anodizing finish, I'll have to go through the same process when it comes back.  I recommend and will be assembling it into a complete rifle with a stand-in upper when I try to wear it.  If you don't assemble it you will get too much wear in places / along edges that would not get worn in regular service.  This time around I will try to use dry sand / gravel and see if it gets the job done faster, I think the lube effect of the mud made it too hard to wear.  I will be putting dents in before and during the process, my bronze one doesn't look quite right because I didn't put any dents in the lower before I started working on it.

slip ring before

slip ring after

Mismatch in dents between upper and lower if you don't dent it before you start wear
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mismatch in dents between upper and lower if you don't dent it before you start wear
View Quote

Nice!

I would call that a really good BFPU match. But you are allowed to be all picky about your own rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
According to some ancient 'experts', the accepted arfcom way to obtain genuine 'wear',

is to throw your rifle 'down the driveway'.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:15:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Carry it every where you go for one year add in a few dives into ditch's, holes and other assorted places should do it for you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:27:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
According to some ancient 'experts', the accepted arfcom way to obtain genuine 'wear',
is to throw your rifle 'down the driveway'.

YMMV
View Quote

I thought it was tie it to your Dogs collar & take him for a long walk down a logging road.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You can use a polishing wheel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Has anybody tried to BFPU a rifle finished with norrels
Or Allumahyde?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I read the title, and the first thing I thought was "'throw it down the driveway'".

NT FTW, at least in this case.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Or Allumahyde?
View Quote

Yes. Hard to do. Finish comes off too easily but stays dark.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Should have expected the "Throw it down the driveway" responses.

Quoted:
I read the title, and the first thing I thought was "'throw it down the driveway'".

View Quote

What does that mean?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:35:47 AM EDT
[#11]
HK:  I used a combination of things.  First was like 400-600 grit SP wet sanded with oil (CLP).  0000 steel wool with oil, and finally green scotch-brite pads.

The scotchbrite and finer grain SP put a very smooth gloss like polish on it.   It really is a "Try and see" procedure.

First I took the lower and tossed it around a while in large bowl of spare screws, nuts, washers etc.   Just to ding it up a bit.
Next I started rubbing the high spot areas with 150 grit sp.....gentley and tried finer grits to see just how much anodizing was being removed.  If it was too aggressive, I would
switch to a finer, less aggressive grit.  It takes a lot of elbow grease.  You just have to rub the snot out of it and get the cracks and corners.  It helps to look at other examples.

The finish touch to add some patina was this stuff ...slate black patina ordered direct from this place, the small bottle:

http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Details.cfm?ProdID=78&category=6

Use as directed and rub it down after it's applied to get a thinner browner patina.  Experiment with it on bare aluminum.  There are some vids on U-tube under
" slate black patina application".

Just start slow and you'll see how there wear process works.  Then you can go nuts with it.

My 601:  ETA:  The only parts harmed in this process was the lower.  All other parts were naturally worn by Uncle Sam.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 3:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What does that mean?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What does that mean?

Napoleon Tannerite.  He threw a lower down the driveway.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I love this More please
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 7:22:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Never done to my ar, but when i refinished my ak, i didnt want it to be true bfpu trashed, but didnt want it to look new fresh black either. So i used scotch brite pads and just went at it nice and easy and slow. It works really well. Focus on high use areas, magwell, trigger and anything raised that would hit on things.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or Allumahyde?
View Quote

Trying that right now.

It's a repro M1 bayonet, it's a pretty decent repro but is stainless and was painted jet black so I sandblasted it and shot it with some of my Norelles, it isn't a great match as far as the shade goes but it's a sight better than gloss black.

I'm using a scotch brite pad and very lightly removing a bit here and there, mostly focusing on the edges and high wear areas. It looks alright but if I apply any pressure at all it removes too much. I think I'd practice a bit before I try something like that on a gun. I really do not want to have to paint my upper a third time

On the bright side (or maybe not) the Norrelles doesn't seem to wear all that well, I've already got some shiny edges on my upper just from handling.

Edit: man my foot looks weird in that pic

Took a little more off, I'm pretty happy with it . Pics don't do it justice, I'm known for my mediocre pics

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never done to my ar, but when i refinished my ak, i didnt want it to be true bfpu trashed, but didnt want it to look new fresh black either. So i used scotch brite pads and just went at it nice and easy and slow. It works really well. Focus on high use areas, magwell, trigger and anything raised that would hit on things.  

http://www.seanrose.com/images/ak47.jpg
View Quote

That is by far the best looking WASR I have ever seen... I could kick myself every day  or not buying any back it '09 when my LGS had stacks of em for. $379
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#17]
That 601 could pass for a museum piece. Very well done.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:33:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a middy I did using the same thing Hal used.

Here's a NDS that I BFPU'ed.

It is VERY hard to take the plunge! Once you get going the guilt diminishes a little.

Like has been said, before you take any finish off throw hand fulls of nuts and bolts at the beautiful pristine lower. I used assorted sharp and poky things to add character.

Then liberal amounts of elbow grease and I used a stainless steel scrubby pad and then a scotch brite pad.

I also used salt water and vinegar baths and exposure to the Florida rain. Used some ammonia to darken it back up after I went TOO light.

I kick myself for selling it every time I post this picture. I'll never find another early upper like that again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:36:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That is by far the best looking WASR I have ever seen... I could kick myself every day  or not buying any back it '09 when my LGS had stacks of em for. $379
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.seanrose.com/images/ak47.jpg

Thank you~! Wish I could get a better pic of it, it's really prettier in the real life. It turned out well. But for OP.. another vote to go for it and make it what you want! And don't forget to post pics!
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:09:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the most important thing you need to remember is to DING it up before you wear down the finish. Gravel works good. I also beat the lower with my bolt catch, as they both needed wear. That way, you will have darker dings that will look more legit. If you just wear down a smooth finish, it'll look, well, too smooth.

Oh, and wear the lower with the small parts installed. I didn't have the selector in mine, wish I woulda, it's a little too worn around it.......

Also, I used a big heavy wood rasp on the high edges and around the bottom of the mag well. Chips the finish nicely.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's my BFPU 605 clone as a dedicated 22LR.

The upper and lower were "aged" by Mike at NDS prior to shipment.  Then I created the faux brown bakelite with distressed green furniture.

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Trying that right now.

It's a repro M1 bayonet, it's a pretty decent repro but is stainless and was painted jet black so I sandblasted it and shot it with some of my Norelles, it isn't a great match as far as the shade goes but it's a sight better than gloss black.
<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Sputnik1988/media/IMAG0039_zpsbbc6efbe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/IMAG0039_zpsbbc6efbe.jpg</a>
I'm using a scotch brite pad and very lightly removing a bit here and there, mostly focusing on the edges and high wear areas. It looks alright but if I apply any pressure at all it removes too much. I think I'd practice a bit before I try something like that on a gun. I really do not want to have to paint my upper a third time

On the bright side (or maybe not) the Norrelles doesn't seem to wear all that well, I've already got some shiny edges on my upper just from handling.

Took a little more off, I'm pretty happy with it . Pics don't do it justice, I'm known for my mediocre pics

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Sputnik1988/media/IMAG0040_zpsf0d09faa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/IMAG0040_zpsf0d09faa.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or Allumahyde?

Trying that right now.

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Sputnik1988/media/IMAG0039_zpsbbc6efbe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/IMAG0039_zpsbbc6efbe.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Sputnik1988/media/IMAG0040_zpsf0d09faa.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/IMAG0040_zpsf0d09faa.jpg</a>

Nice, im ordering my norrels this week, I'm going to start in a broken 604
Upper, like to a worn look out of the norrels
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Opinions of my progress.

Too dark on the serial # side of the mag well?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Maybe just a little bit more off the numbers Bro. Looking INCREDIBLE!
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This. Great job! The nice part is, you don't need a pristine set of handguards for the build either - by the time they got to that condition, most had a couple broken teeth.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Looking Good !  No advice here.  Looks like you got it down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys are crazy!...

I need to do a slight BFPU on an A1 or A2 lower for a 723 build...
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#28]
My original plan was to build the 605 as a BFPU after seeing JT's fantastic 601 'town bicycle build', but Heatnbeat did such a mice job on the upper I haven't had the heart to scratch it up. Maybe I should take it to a carbine class and throw it on the ground a few times...
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Looks good, I would concentrate on the front / edges of the mag well.  Look at the recent AR from Poland thread for an example.  It looks like the XM upper and lower have the same amount of wear and I think your lower should end up with a similar amount of wear.  The lower of the Hydra-Matic in Poland would be a good match for your upper too.  I don't think the upper on that rifle lived its whole life on that lower and we are seeing a mismatch in wear.  I like how many dings and scratches are on the edges of the magwells of both the XM and GM, I'm going to have to go for the same effect on mine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#30]

That looks incredible.

Link Posted: 2/10/2014 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That looks incredible.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
That looks incredible.  

THIS. Great job. I need to match my lower to my upper on the XM16E1 - just a little wear here and there, but am terrified I'll screw it up. My first try at this was on a lower finished with Norrells (for some reason I didn't notice that when I bought it) and it didn't come out great. Not bad, but not what I wanted. Figured I'd practice on that first, but the two finishes are very different - anodizing is much harder. I guess I just need to grow a pair and go for it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for all the positive replies everyone.

Now just to find some pics showing how the rest of it (barrel, FSB, & FH) wear, & try to imitate it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 6:16:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Turned out great I love the been there done that look and good luck on your sling hunt
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#34]
For the dings and nick take your lower/upper, take some loose hand tools, put em in a tool box. Run a piece of duct tape around it for safety, get a buddy and play catch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2014 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Pic for BFPU wear.  Wish the hand wasn't in the way.

Pretty much suspected the front of the lower would be worn/dinged but still guessing that the area above the back of pistol grip would have wear also.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/kanaka1000/368242851_zps9afca227.jpg
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top