Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2015 2:34:58 PM EDT
A buddy of mine was a Ranger in the way back.  He got bit with the idea of making a recreation of his carbine.

Here's our results.

My XM177E2 clone on top and his GAUish clone on bottom.  He's pretty sure he was handed an XM177E1 back then, but he's OK with the GAU because I had a free to him 604 upper available (and a few other parts I had in the bin like the slip-over flash-hider and fiberlite stock).  He's not too concerned about all the inaccuracies, he feels it captures the essence of his issue gun.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely has the look, as long as he's happy with it that's what matters.

That XM is .
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:18:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice carbines!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine was a Ranger in the way back.  He got bit with the idea of making a recreation of his carbine.

Here's our results.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5739/20848435753_602b8bc7fc_b.jpg

My XM177E2 clone on top and his GAUish clone on bottom.  He's pretty sure he was handed an XM177E1 back then, but he's OK with the GAU because I had a free to him 604 upper available (and a few other parts I had in the bin like the slip-over flash-hider and fiberlite stock).  He's not too concerned about all the inaccuracies, he feels it captures the essence of his issue gun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-98rvZZu0Y4
View Quote

Is that E2 non-NFA? Looks great! What'd you cut the barrel at?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Is that E2 non-NFA? Looks great! What'd you cut the barrel at?
View Quote

Also, is the barrel .75"?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
My E2 is NFA.  It's a Bushmaster super light cut to 11.5" and a Brick moderator.  Proper profile for it.

The GAU has a Del Ton 16" light weight barrel, but they do 0.75" under the front sight base.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice pair of rifles!
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Good looking pair
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I should have tossed my wife's "Platoon" carbine into the shot as well.

She's got an earlier 16" light weight from Del Ton when they still had 0.625" under the FSB.  So far she's resisted the urge to SBR it and clip it down to 14.5".

She even has a theory that in some scenes of Platoon have 16" carbines, especially when there's no firing going on.  If you squint, she might be right.  (She's always right, she's my wife and I learned that she's never wrong a long time ago.  Smile, nod and say, "yes Dear.")
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I should have tossed my wife's "Platoon" carbine into the shot as well.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3822/12529231573_88d87efa75_b.jpg

She's got an earlier 16" light weight from Del Ton when they still had 0.625" under the FSB.  So far she's resisted the urge to SBR it and clip it down to 14.5".

She even has a theory that in some scenes of Platoon have 16" carbines, especially when there's no firing going on.  If you squint, she might be right.  (She's always right, she's my wife and I learned that she's never wrong a long time ago.  Smile, nod and say, "yes Dear.")
View Quote

Man, I missed the key word "wife" when I looked at the picture and was thinking OP has very well manicured feet ... dough  Must me the CLP I've been sniffing  Nice E2 by the way and I'm glad your buddy likes his GAU look-a-like too!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top