Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2012 7:00:36 AM EDT
First off, please read THIS prior post to get some background on my rifle from when I first purchased. There are also some detailed pictures of the rifle and internal parts.

I finally made it out to the range early Saturday morning. The weather was beautiful, 66 F without a cloud in the sky. No wind. Since this was my first time making it to the range this early in the morning I didn't account for the sun being directly behind my target. I was shooting pretty much directly into the sun which was horrible. I don't think this was thought out very well when this place was built. I was using an Eotech EXPS3-0 in FDE and the sun made it very difficult to get a crisp sight picture, but I did the best I could do.

I rested the SIG516 on a crappy rest that I was using for the very first time. I got it because it was cheap. I found that I had to pretty much adjust windage and elevation on the rest after EVERY shot which was really annoying. This thing was just too light to be effective, but it was better than my sandbag. I was using Lake City M855 62gr "green tip" ammo. I shot a total of about 200 rounds without a single malfunction of any kind. The trigger pull was better than average. A little better than my BCM. You can kinda stage the trigger which does help. I only used the NORMAL setting on the gas regulator. Next range trip I may try ADVERSE just to see what it feels like.

I made some slight modifications to my SIG516 prior to shooting it for the first time. I replaced the stock Cam Pin with the POF Roller Cam Pin. I'm happy to report that after 200 rounds there is ZERO wear from Cam Pin gouging on the inside of the upper receiver. The inside of my SIG516 is also Cerakoted in FDE and the finish in that area is perfectly fine. Now, I know Cam Pin gouging is perfectly normal and doesn't effect performance (my BCM has it), but I thought I would try this. The other modification I made was to replace the stock Buffer (3.7oz) with the Spikes Tactical  ST-T2 Heavy Buffer (4oz). I use this Buffer on my BCM and I like it. I also removed the gas rings from the bolt. SIG Customer Service told me that they are not needed. The last modification I made was to use the BCMGUNFIGHTER Charging Handle w/ Mod 4 (MEDIUM) Latch.

The following picture was taken after shooting at 50 yards using the Eotech. Like I said previously the sun was in my eyes. Normally, I like to dim the red dot down to the point where I can just barely see it (makes the dot smaller) so that my groupings are tighter. In this case I had to crank up the brightness setting just to see the dot in the sun. I'm sure I could have had tighter groups and when I do I'll be sure to post them. I have read many reports of the SIG516 shooting 1 MOA to sub-MOA @ 100 yards.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Feel free to ask questions.

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the sexiest SIG AR's I've ever seen especially with that Eotech EXPS3-0 in FDE. Do your iron sights co-witness with it?   You're doin' it right   - great report!
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#2]
EXCELLENT idea- is that scope mounted to a rail attached to the ammo box/can- more stable than one of those fony tri pods and can use a scope-EXCELLENT-
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
One of the sexiest SIG AR's I've ever seen especially with that Eotech EXPS3-0 in FDE. Do your iron sights co-witness with it?   You're doin' it right   - great report!

Yes, in the lower third of the Eotech. Just barely. The irons only required minor adjustment out of the box to be zeroed @ 50 yards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2012 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
EXCELLENT idea- is that scope mounted to a rail attached to the ammo box/can- more stable than one of those fony tri pods and can use a scope-EXCELLENT-

That's a scope I use for on a .22. I just sat it on top of the ammo can and looked through it after three round groups. I'm too cheap to buy a dedicated scope.
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Looking good brother - best of luck with the rifle. I've got a gen 1 - love the damn thing.

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you considered any vertical grips? I've been through bipods and a assortment of vertical grips - settled on the sig stoplight for now because it throws off a massive amount of light, has a strobe and laser...plus the grip....all in one. Heavy though!
Link Posted: 7/24/2012 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you considered any vertical grips? I've been through bipods and a assortment of vertical grips - settled on the sig stoplight for now because it throws off a massive amount of light, has a strobe and laser...plus the grip....all in one. Heavy though!

I actually took the risk and bought the Magpul AFG2 and I really like it. The AFG wouldn't normally work on a carbine length rail for most people, but I have short arms so I got lucky.
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 1:01:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/28/2012 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#9]
That was killer....kudos to that dude.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking rifle.  Post a pix of a 5 shot group.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 12:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice looking rifle you have there, what is the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen rifle? Does the 1st have the squared end on the gas plug? Yours appears rounded.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Very nice looking rifle you have there, what is the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen rifle? Does the 1st have the squared end on the gas plug? Yours appears rounded.

My Gen2 gas plug is rounded and there are no threads like there was in Gen1. The gas system just slides in and out easy. There are also some minor differences in the piston design.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You sold me on it, where can I find one and how much are they going for
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You sold me on it, where can I find one and how much are they going for

HERE

I got mine for $1,449.99 shipped. I consider the SIG516 the best bang for your buck in piston guns. Would I have rather had a LWRC? Sure! But not for $2,800 when the SIG516 passed the NATO Over The Beach Test and runs great.

PLUS...SIG will sell you a piston upper less than 16". Companies like HK and FN....not a chance.
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Saw a black one today at a local gun shop, very nice looking rifle. Guy said he had the FDE on order, no idea when it would arrive. I would like to see the FDE before buying. His rifle also had the new gas block, he got it a couple of weeks ago
Link Posted: 7/31/2012 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Good report.  I've wanted a 516 for a while, and when they came out in FDE I knew I'd get one as soon as I saw one around. If you don't mind my asking, where did you pick it up and what was the cost? I know what te going rate for a 516 is but am wondering if the FDE is demanding a premium "in the real world." I am also in Ohio so I am hoping it's somewhere close to me so I can stalk them...

ETA - NM, you posted that already.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
New here....just got a black 516 with a birthday of July 20 2012. It did not have the new gas block.....but it does fire extremely well.....I need to run some match ammo thru it to see about what type of group I can get....Breaking in a SCAR 17 too right now.....life is good
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top