Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2014 6:28:18 AM EDT
There is no "best". Best is subjective and comes down to personal opinion. ALL piston offerings on the market to this date have come a long way and ALL of them run well. There is no best. There is what works and what doesn't work. They work.

There are different fit and finish options. There are different systems. Long stroke or short stroke. The two operate on different principles and thus cannot be compared in an apples to apples fashion. There is what works for you and what works for others. Purpose of use is what drives what works for you. Mine and yours are most likely not the same.

There is what you can afford and what you cannot. That alone will be a major deciding factor in your choice.

A phosphorus gun will work just as well as a cerakoted gun.

A short stroke will work just as good as a long stroke.

There are different features that may not come with another rifle. There are aftermarket customization options.

No piston AR is truly better than one or the other.

The only thing that separates them in amongst themselves is craftsmanship and the quality of materials when not looking at different systems.

Buy what fits your budget and purpose of use or collect the whole set. Be happy with your purchase and learn to recognize a personal opinion from a fact. I'm getting tired of seeing personal opinions being braced as the only reason to buy a particular platform. If you are going to suggest to someone what to buy do so with not only your opinion but facts and other supporting evidence.

I got it you're happy with your purchase. So am I. Don't go spouting off that opinion as though it is the only reason why you should by a piston rifle.

/civilized rant
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree, but, there are things that are better.  Somewhere out at the nth degree, where even the military doesn't get to go is a threshold that really doesn't matter.  I see down in another forum they are arguing about a skeletonized lower.  Given what a lower does, not really that much, I bet that thing exceeds every useful parameter and only looks scary.  Sure it might get dirty and fall apart if you try and carry your wounded buddy blah blah blah.  I bet buttstrokes to the head and the spirit of the Bayonet would sort out the best stuff  That's why my latest aquistion is the best, it came with a bayo lug.  Lug this baby!
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Edited...VA-gunnut

I guess some people just dont get my humor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm kind of "gadgeteer" and love all systems (some more than others). With so many different piston systems out there, it's like completely different rifles all on one base platform. I like them all and even wish there were MORE systems out there! The more the merrier! They are all so different, with their unique strengths and weaknesses. I wish I had the $ to have one of EACH of them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 3:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
The old Chevy , Ford & Dodge story .
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It's all relative if your being honest with yourself. Bang for the buck and what fits you and your requirements best. There are a couple company's I will not buy from, simply based on attitude. Even if they produced the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I disagree. There is always a best in every category. This sounds like "Here's a trophy everyone, thanks for trying." I know you didn't intend for that but that's the impression I got initially.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Agreed. If someone buys a rifle that will maybe see 200 rounds a year, some brands will fit them fine. If they plan on 10-12 thousand rounds per year with a can, any old rifle is NOT gonna suffice. There are no trophies for second place, that's just the first loser.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a BEST.
But the BEST is a subjective choice which factors your intended use and judgment criteria.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is no "best". Best is subjective and comes down to personal opinion. ALL piston offerings on the market to this date have come a long way and ALL of them run well. There is no best. There is what works and what doesn't work. They work.

There are different fit and finish options. There are different systems. Long stroke or short stroke. The two operate on different principles and thus cannot be compared in an apples to apples fashion. There is what works for you and what works for others. Purpose of use is what drives what works for you. Mine and yours are most likely not the same.

There is what you can afford and what you cannot. That alone will be a major deciding factor in your choice.

A phosphorus gun will work just as well as a cerakoted gun.

A short stroke will work just as good as a long stroke.

There are different features that may not come with another rifle. There are aftermarket customization options.

No piston AR is truly better than one or the other.

The only thing that separates them in amongst themselves is craftsmanship and the quality of materials when not looking at different systems.

Buy what fits your budget and purpose of use or collect the whole set. Be happy with your purchase and learn to recognize a personal opinion from a fact. I'm getting tired of seeing personal opinions being braced as the only reason to buy a particular platform. If you are going to suggest to someone what to buy do so with not only your opinion but facts and other supporting evidence.

I got it you're happy with your purchase. So am I. Don't go spouting off that opinion as though it is the only reason why you should by a piston rifle.

/civilized rant
View Quote

One of the best post I read in a while.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:59:11 AM EDT
[#10]
The BEST are the ones I own I thought everyone would've known that!
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#11]
There CAN be a best, but only if we can agree on what criteria they are being judged on. Apples to apples. Price, weight, etc. but since nearly everything comes down to personal preference, I agree that, for the most part, there is no "best."
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Negative, my weapons are the best. They are the only thing protecting us from the Russians, the Chinese and Bigfoot. Does Bigfoot give you any lip? Didn't think so.....
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Negative, my weapons are the best. They are the only thing protecting us from the Russians, the Chinese and Bigfoot. Does Bigfoot give you any lip? Didn't think so.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigfoot is dead and being driven around in a glass case in a trailer now.... good work!

However I've managed, with my AA-driven rifle, to single-handedly quash the zombie uprising.  You're welcome.  Now about those democr... um never mind.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Job well done, thanks dude! About that "other" crowd, I copy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:49:57 AM EDT
[#15]
But which one is best?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But which one is best?
View Quote

The one that fires when you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Somehow my post doubled.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:46:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Do you deny there is "better"? How about "worse"?

Place saver for my inevitable long winded and technically detailed counterpoint to your "let's hold hands" kumbayah approach to the discussion of the merits of various firearms differences.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 3:52:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Buy the BEST you can aford and do the BEST you can with it! I'm just sayin......
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Dogpile and Jhend,
Don't forget my efforts on the home front! I took care of the BEMS! (Bug-eyed monsters)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top