AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
BRN-180 Review (Page 3 of 13)
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By conda:

Since these have the gas port drilled after the barrel is torqued in, it's now out of headspace even if shimmed. Have to wait on the backorders to get a replacement.
View Quote
What am I missing here? How does gas port location affect headspace?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 11:35:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: avatarhammer] [#2]
HS is set by the bbl extension. Gas port location may alter the op rod function if the block is moved, but not effect HS.

How did the bbl come loose
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BRN-180:
Nope, Mobile 1 syn brushed on is slick as snot and was noticeably smother than lots of CLP. It actually stays in place better than oil.

I never used that brand until the MILSURPLUS guys told me about it for M1 Carbine use.

I got the failures prior to grease not after.

Once this upper has many rounds I will go back to just CLP.

Although CLP isn't oil, it is generally suitable for bolt/carrier lube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

FYI, thick grease is going to slow your bolt down compared to oil, so you may have been inducing some of those failures.
Nope, Mobile 1 syn brushed on is slick as snot and was noticeably smother than lots of CLP. It actually stays in place better than oil.

I never used that brand until the MILSURPLUS guys told me about it for M1 Carbine use.

I got the failures prior to grease not after.

Once this upper has many rounds I will go back to just CLP.

Although CLP isn't oil, it is generally suitable for bolt/carrier lube.
No, @RDTCU is right.  Grease is grease and grease is oil with thickeners like soap or calcium added.  Listen to him and use oil.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By avatarhammer:
HS is set by the bbl extension. Gas port location may alter the op rod function if the block is moved, but not effect HS.

How did the bbl come loose
View Quote
Just by shooting it. Handguard was very well fitted which made everything tight as the handguard is a close fit with the barrel. Once handguard was removed the barrel was shaking loose.

The 180 has a trunion, so shimming it and torquing it so the gas block is aligned might result in extra headspace.  There is no barrel extension.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow. If the bbl can come loose that easily, affecting HS, I'd have second thoughts about the design. Don't know why they didn't just adapt the ar15 design.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:36:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#6]
Delete I’m an idiot
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#7]
Wow. If the bbl can come loose that easily, affecting HS, I'd have second thoughts about the design. Don't know why they didn't just adapt the ar15 design.
View Quote
It's no different than an AR barrel extension coming loose on the barrel, which happened all the time when nitriding/meloniting took off, until manufacturers figured out that you can't nitride the barrel as an assembly and you should drill the gas port last.
If you're referencing the index pin, that doesn't actually protrude into the barrel to lock it into the extension.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Conda you’re famous on the ol Facebook, that photo is making the rounds on the weapon malfunctions page
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 2:59:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: conda] [#9]
Originally Posted By Dusted:
Conda you’re famous on the ol Facebook, that photo is making the rounds on the weapon malfunctions page
View Quote
Yeah I noticed that post. Not quite a malfunction as just a bad egg, probably was never assembled right to begin with.

Anyway, I mailed the thing off today and we will see how long it takes to get a replacement back.

I don't think the design is bad, many rifles use torqued in threaded barrels and it hasn't been an issue, the issue is when its not torqued in. If it was torqued to the 120+ ft/lb level this would never happen. The handguard even reinforces the barrel from rotating based on how tightly it fits over the barrel.

Again, this isn't Brownells fault. The BRN-180 I had worked like a charm and was great, just would have been better if the barrel was torqued properly. I'm sure it was a mistake on assembly or a missed step that has since (hopefully) been corrected. I thought about keeping it under my hat because I didn't want Brownells and the BRN-180 to get a bad wrap for one bad apple, but I was a bit frustrated because having the barrel stay in is a pretty basic expectation of an upper in my book.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I checked mine after seeing your post and it appears to be torqued in good, I have around 750 through it
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#11]

It is not a issue. People need to get over it. People always want something more, more, more. Many great weapons had and have a recip handle.

FNC
SCAR
M14
M1 Carbine.
Mini-14/AC-556
Ruger PC
AK-47
ETC, ETC, ETC.
View Quote
I wouldn't call the SCAR, M14, or Mini-14 "great".
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:48:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#12]
Brownells announced that a NEW piston cup in now available.

So that makes 3 cups.

Very nice.

Current upgrades available on request now are:

Dust cover.
Piston cup.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#13]
It's no different than an AR barrel extension coming loose on the barrel, which happened all the time when nitriding/meloniting took off, until manufacturers figured out that you can't nitride the barrel as an assembly and you should drill the gas port last.
If you're referencing the index pin, that doesn't actually protrude into the barrel to lock it into the extension.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
No, not referencing anything in particular. I was assuming Design similar to the AR -- bbl extension torque to bbl and then into receiver. I wasn't aware the BRN180 had its geometry fixed by a trunion. Hence shimming, to get proper torque will change HS, and just retorqing will move the gas port and most likely change HS too.

No worries about the design, after clarification
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 1:56:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#14]
I LOVE this. I added the Holosun awhile back. Nice sight.

Brownells should make a deal with Sig to make this discontinued stock available again. It is by far the best option I have come across.

Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#15]
http://i63.tinypic.com/34822xl.jpg
View Quote

Now how to make one look Retro with a modern flair.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#16]
What I would like to know is what Brownells is doing with returned units?

They are replacing the returns but what about the returns.

They generally can't be sold as new, so are they just eating the cost on them?

They should fix them and sell they as refurbished.

I would want one if the cost is low.

PWS is probably sitting on a bunch that just need to be broken in or a new buffer or minor things.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 12:59:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tommyidone] [#17]
I LOVE this. I added the Holosun awhile back. Nice sight.

Brownells should make a deal with Sig to make this discontinued stock available again. It is by far the best option I have come across.

http://i63.tinypic.com/34822xl.jpg
View Quote
I looked forever for one of those stocks and finally found a retailer with only one left. I bought it right there. I hope I didn’t get the last one because I love this stock. For a think side folder it’s excellent. I wonder why sig discontinued it.

Edit:
Looks like brownels right got some in stock!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By tommyidone:

I looked forever for one of those stocks and finally found a retailer with only one left. I bought it right there. I hope I didn’t get the last one because I love this stock. For a think side folder it’s excellent. I wonder why sig discontinued it.

Edit:
Looks like brownels right got some in stock!!!
View Quote
No, all that is left is FDE. Black is discontinued and not for sale at Brownells.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 2:48:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Well then I’m happy I got mine. Soon as we get done building our house I’ll be ordering the 180-s upper and possibly a 180 standard length for my non sbr lower. Depending on if they get an adjustable piston up front
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:01:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#20]
This is another option and a damn low price shipped. Lowest out there. $149.95 shipped.

If they release a 7.62X39 BRN-180, this will go on it.

https://www.swfa.com/sig-sauer-telescoping-folding-stock-3.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#21]
And for those that are getting the BRN-180S. This is a damn low price on the brace model $149.95 shipped.

ONLY TWO UNITS LEFT.

https://www.swfa.com/sig-sauer-folding-pcb-kit.html
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the original folder.  It a fan of the telescoping unit
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 4:57:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#23]
I requested the new piston cup upgrade via a IM just now.

It will be nice if I ever wanted to use low power .223 ammo.

I do plan on doing a carrier travel test before I regularly shoot it with the new cup.

Tape across the charging handle slot to determine max rearward travel obtained so I don't get the carrier hitting the buffer.

Right now with XM193 I get nice cycle and no buffer contact.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 10:07:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#24]
I think the new stock style is the way to go, adjustable and compatible with any AR stock you desire.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I requested the new piston cup upgrade via a IM just now.

It will be nice if I ever wanted to use low power .223 ammo.

I do plan on doing a carrier travel test before I regularly shoot it with the new cup.

Tape across the charging handle slot to determine max rearward travel obtained so I don't get the carrier hitting the buffer.

Right now with XM193 I get nice cycle and no buffer contact.
View Quote
So, did Brownells reply to your request?  I instant messaged and e-mailed Brownells and Brownells has not replied to my request for the 3rd type piston cup.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Surfgun:

So, did Brownells reply to your request?  I instant messaged and e-mailed Brownells and Brownells has not replied to my request for the 3rd type piston cup.
View Quote
when i requested the improved dust cover i got not reply. it just showed up by ups super fast.

i would think the piston will be the same. ask for one and wait a few days.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 11:35:11 PM EDT
[#27]
And for those that are getting the BRN-180S. This is a damn low price on the brace model $149.95 shipped.

ONLY TWO UNITS LEFT.

https://www.swfa.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/i/sigpcbxfoldblk.jpg

https://www.swfa.com/sig-sauer-folding-pcb-kit.html
View Quote
I just took that same brace off my new Sig MCX and put a SBA3 on in its place.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#28]
My new piston cup showed up.  May be a while before I’ll get to try it though.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Well where’s mine lol

Another rifle class today with the BRN-180 and she ran flawlessly. I’ll have to count how many loaded mags I have left but this should push her past the 1k mark. So a thousand rounds down with zero issues and a big smile on my face.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 5:11:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#30]
Well where’s mine lol

Another rifle class today with the BRN-180 and she ran flawlessly. I’ll have to count how many loaded mags I have left but this should push her past the 1k mark. So a thousand rounds down with zero issues and a big smile on my face.
View Quote
I never got my cup I requested and I requested it a long time ago, 6/23.

I sent a 2nd request just now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Question: What are these two tiny parts shown next to the C clamp.

The pic is from the latest review off Brownells web site.

Owner claims they fell off/out when he took it apart.

Is this somekind of gen2 upgrade?

I do not recall these parts on my upper?????

Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#32]
Looks like they broke the wings on the lock piece where it interfaces with the barrel
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:17:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#33]
Piston cups, from left to right the original, new and suppressed. The initial holes have moved up into the second relief on the gas nipple and are smaller, looks like they took the suppressed cup and left the additional initial hole set off. The initial holes are smaller on the new cup but they are placed directly over the second relief grove on the nipple.
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Both the new cup and the suppressor cups fitment on the nipple is not as tight compared to the original cup
Link Posted: 7/19/2019 9:58:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#35]
Piston cups, from left to right the original, new and suppressed. The initial holes have moved up into the second relief on the gas nipple and are smaller, looks like they took the suppressed cup and left the additional initial hole set off. The initial holes are smaller on the new cup but they are placed directly over the second relief grove on the nipple. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/fLxeN9s
View Quote
Fixed your pic.

Link Posted: 7/19/2019 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#36]
How’d you fix it? Can’t seem to get mine to attach properly
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#37]
How’d you fix it? Can’t seem to get mine to attach properly
View Quote
found with google and copy image address and posted.

.jpeg, yours ended with something different.
Link Posted: 7/25/2019 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Hey all, After sending back my automatically de-barreling BRN180 they sent me a new one and honestly this one is a lot better.

The fitment is a touch looser on the lower, but it is just as id expect most mil-spec uppers to fit.

The upper took NO break in to function perfectly. I started with single shots thinking it would take a few of those to lock back every time. Shot about 5 with no issue then put a mag of 30 through it without a single malfunction.

Gave it a quick "break in" clean and put about 150 rounds through without a single hiccup, and with what feels like less snappy-ness. I think this upper isn't having the carrier hit the buffer as much or as hard.

Accuracy is as good as the last upper I had with 62 grains getting about 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards (given this is a 3x combat style optic and not a precision rifle scope)

Dust cover opens up as soon as the action moves back about a centimeter.

Honestly its a ton better. I really like how this AR has turned out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2019 12:14:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Happy to see they made it right
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
Got a link to that?
Link Posted: 7/27/2019 6:42:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#41]
https://www.facebook.com/384329925352278/posts/707941186324482?s=100001973031595&sfns=xmwa
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 11:06:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#42]
So, I have designed a way to use the BRN-180 in full auto.

It has a simple design without major mods.

I am not sure what to do with it.

I cannot test it or develop it further because it would be stupid using a transferable that could be harmed.

On the other hand I do not want to give the idea away.

It is on the back burner right now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#43]
member conda just reported another barrel shot loose on him.

this is two exact failures for the same person.

my mind is BLOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:03:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: conda] [#44]
Quick video of my BRN-180 saga

or link here if thats not working
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#45]
This doesn't look like the a simple barrel has shot loose or turned loose.

Could it be that the trunion threads have failed or enlarged due too heat?

The trunion looks fixed and not moving but what if it expanded and the threads lost their grip due to heat distortion or stress distortion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I can post more detailed dissasembly photos this evening if people are interested, I suspect it looks like the last one did.

I didn't see any evidence of fracture or cracking on the last upper, but I did not examine it a whole lot before sending it back to Brownells.

Brownells has been in contact with me and I'm sure they will set things right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Man what are the odds, 2 in a row for you and I haven’t heard of anyone else with an issue.

What did you do in a past life lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Man what are the odds, 2 in a row for you and I haven’t heard of anyone else with an issue.

What did you do in a past life lol
View Quote
Apparently something that deserves punishment

Kinda souring my opinion on pre-built uppers, everything else I have I've assembled myself and NEVER experienced an issue, let alone a barrel falling off.

I really wonder what the total production numbers of these are along with the number of uppers that have had over 100 rounds put through them. I guess I assume people shoot them at least as much as I do, but maybe that isn't the case.
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 7:59:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BRN-180] [#49]
this is what bothers me about the whole thing...........

your pics indicate that the barrel has turned less than about 25 deg.

so that would mean that it still should be strongly tight in the trunion and unable to move cw or ccw without a wrench and force.

yours says that it was screwed in  finger tight then turned  just a few deg with a barrel wrench.

i would think that at install it would take maybe 45 deg past hand tight and lots of force to install.

the relationship in the machining between the trunion and barrel threads does not seem correct in the ones you got.

i would assume that the barrel at install would be screwed to the trunion then the trunion installed in the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 1:26:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dusted] [#50]
Originally Posted By conda:

Apparently something that deserves punishment

Kinda souring my opinion on pre-built uppers, everything else I have I've assembled myself and NEVER experienced an issue, let alone a barrel falling off.

I really wonder what the total production numbers of these are along with the number of uppers that have had over 100 rounds put through them. I guess I assume people shoot them at least as much as I do, but maybe that isn't the case.
View Quote
I dunno bud, I’ve ran around 1500 through mine without issue. Hard through classes and matches, she has been hot. It’s terrible that you’ve gotten two lemons that apparently weren’t torqued down at all.
Page / 13
BRN-180 Review (Page 3 of 13)
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top