Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
A2 upper receiver (Page 4 of 10)
Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:24:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bonzo:

The sight kit I got from Amherst was still in package, old stock from 1989. Very nice kit, glad I went that route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bonzo:
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Originally Posted By RWA007:
Is the rear sight kit from TT good to go?...anything wrong with it?  Someone mentioned a kit from RRA above...link to that?

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1334

https://www.amherstmilitarydepot.com/Rear-Sight-Assembly-A2-AR-15-p/ar15-096.htm

The sight kit I got from Amherst was still in package, old stock from 1989. Very nice kit, glad I went that route.

Never been disappointed with Amherst.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:48:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Finished up 1 of 2.  I’m not sure what I’ll do with the other one yet. This is a 10.3” build.

Link Posted: 4/8/2023 11:36:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#3]
Is the rear sight kit from TT good to go?...anything wrong with it?  Someone mentioned a kit from RRA above...link to that?

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1334

https://www.amherstmilitarydepot.com/Rear-Sight-Assembly-A2-AR-15-p/ar15-096.htm

Just tried to place an order with Amherst. Got a weird error about not being able to create an account. But the website shows I've created an account and it shows that my order was placed. Yet, I got no confirmation screen, nor an email saying I've placed an order. I'm hoping I get the parts for my build.

Still need to find an A2 barrel assembly.

UPDATE:

Amherst shipped my order. Don't know why I got that weird error.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Rogue556:

It's hard to tell with them in the wrap, but am I seeing forge markings on yours? I know the last few batches were blank.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
https://i.imgur.com/kgEmOb4.jpg
Ordered Saturday evening and received them today!  Thunder tactical is legit!  I can’t wait to build these out!

It's hard to tell with them in the wrap, but am I seeing forge markings on yours? I know the last few batches were blank.

The two uppers I got were blank. I’d like to see and get one with a forge mark.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mr223556:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CaptShiess:
https://i.imgur.com/kgEmOb4.jpg
Ordered Saturday evening and received them today!  Thunder tactical is legit!  I can’t wait to build these out!

The one I got is also blank.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 12:09:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RWA007] [#6]
I had a "spare parts gun" that has become one of my favorites.  It's a midlength with a detachable carry handle on it and I always liked the semi-retro look it had especially with an A2 grip and some GI handguards.  We have a local gun-parts website and I saw an A2 stock assembly for cheap ($25) and decided that would complete the look. I was wrong.  It never ends. Sigh.

A2 Upper: Ordered from Thunder Tactical
Rear A2 Sight: Ordered from Amherst
Upper Parts Kit and Lower Parts Kit: Ordered along with some other junk from AT3
Lower (M16A2): Ordered from PSA

Here is a pic of how it looks right now before the new parts get here.  It's an accurate shooter.  We went out shooting over Easter and put about 200 rounds thru it and everyone commented on how fun it was with the iron sights.   Not sure if I'll ever put a 20" barrel on it or not though...I really like the look of the midlength.  It's not really going to be a spare parts gun anymore after this, but I'll have enough spare parts again after this that might turn into yet another spare parts rifle...

Link Posted: 4/12/2023 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered one today. Most likely will go with a H&R barrel
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Just ordered an M16A2 marked lower from PSA. They are on sale for $59.99 as their Daily Deal.
This should hopefully pair well with my TT A2 upper.
Now just need to source the barrel assembly and stock.
How's everyone else's builds coming along?!
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Just ordered an M16A2 marked lower from PSA. They are on sale for $59.99 as their Daily Deal.
This should hopefully pair well with my TT A2 upper.
Now just need to source the barrel assembly and stock.
How's everyone else's builds coming along?!
View Quote

Recently finished one of mine.  I got my barrel from windham and its nice.  For a stock, I have short arms, so i initially had the CMMG A2 stock on it (its A1 length), but swapped an A1 type E stock onto it and love it much more.

I need to post pics when i can find to take some.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#10]
Gun day on a Thursday!

Parts from Amherst and Damage Industries showed up today.

Attachment Attached File

There's a lower build kit with an A2 grip from Damage Industries and a rifle length buffer tube and a rifle buffer, I went with a chrome silicon enhanced spring though. There's also two M4 uppers; never hurts to have extra and they might breed and make new baby ARs.

Then there's a charging handle, dust cover, forward assist and A2 rear sight from Amherst. Idiot me forgot to order the forward assist spring and dust cover spring. So now I have to go searching my spare parts to see if I have any. Doubt it so I'll have to order them.

I'm still waiting for Windham to get the A2 barrel assemblies back in stock.

Can't start assembling until I finish my work bench in the garage though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Gun day on a Thursday!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20230413_213137068_MP_2_jpg-2781168.JPG

There's a lower build kit with an A2 grip from Damage Industries and a rifle length buffer tube and a rifle buffer, I went with a chrome silicon enhanced spring though. There's also two M4 uppers; never hurts to have extra and they might breed and make new baby ARs.

Then there's a charging handle, dust cover, forward assist and A2 rear sight from Amherst. Idiot me forgot to order the forward assist spring and dust cover spring. So now I have to go searching my spare parts to see if I have any. Doubt it so I'll have to order them.

View Quote

if you don't plan to shoot heavy loads and you can deal with a 1x9 twist, Windham does have their 20" 1x9 in stock.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/kit-ba20gvt/
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By seand1111:

if you don't plan to shoot heavy loads and you can deal with a 1x9 twist, Windham does have their 20" 1x9 in stock.

View All Quotes
Gun day on a Thursday!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/417902/PXL_20230413_213137068_MP_2_jpg-2781168.JPG

That is tempting but I really want the 1x7.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#14]

That is tempting but I really want the 1x7.
View Quote

I had planned to do the same, but I shoot 55 and 62grn, so it works fine for me.

What I did with one of my two uppers.

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:01:21 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Bought one yesterday. I called and they said July for 1/7 barrels.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 8:45:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#16]
My upper ordered April 1st has a Brass Aluminum Forge (square) mark
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#17]
On a side note, KAK has a 3-Position safety selector for those that want the 180 degree sweep.
This doesn’t actually change the rate of fire, just cool to be able to move over to BURST or AUTO on your lowers.

https://www.kakindustry.com/safe-semi-ar15-safety-selector
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 12:45:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RWA007] [#18]
Received my rear sight assembly from Amherst.  Like others, it's sealed in a bag from 1989.  In looking at it...both apertures appear to be the same size (small)...I was under the impression there would be a BIG HOLE and a LITTLE HOLE, much like the apertures on my Removeable Carry Handle (6/3) sight?
Edit:  Found out I recieved the National Match aperture set.  Amherst is sending out a combat aperture to replace it with. The National Match apertures have 2 small holes instead of a large and small.

Using the RIBZ method on my removeable carry handle setup and it works well...in fact, I never use the LARGE aperture at all, but then again, I haven't shot it at night time.  

Thanks in advance!  

I can't wait for the rest of the parts to get here.

Edit: 4/17/23....I called and spoke with Amherst.  On the A2 apertures...the one I got is the "National Match" apertures, instead of the "Combat" apertures.   He mentioned that he had had a few other calls with the same issue and offered to send out a new set of apertures (Combat) to me. EXCELLENT customer service!
Link Posted: 4/17/2023 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Thunder selling whole kits now

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RCRTR:

AIRBORNE!!!!!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RCRTR:

AIRBORNE!!!!!

Uugghhhh that’s so far away!!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2023 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Received my rear sight assembly from Amherst.  Like others, it's sealed in a bag from 1989.  In looking at it...both apertures appear to be the same size (small)...I was under the impression there would be a BIG HOLE and a LITTLE HOLE, much like the apertures on my Removeable Carry Handle (6/3) sight?
Edit:  Found out I recieved the National Match aperture set.  Amherst is sending out a combat aperture to replace it with. The National Match apertures have 2 small holes instead of a large and small.

Using the RIBZ method on my removeable carry handle setup and it works well...in fact, I never use the LARGE aperture at all, but then again, I haven't shot it at night time.  

Thanks in advance!  

I can't wait for the rest of the parts to get here.

Edit: 4/17/23....I called and spoke with Amherst.  On the A2 apertures...the one I got is the "National Match" apertures, instead of the "Combat" apertures.   He mentioned that he had had a few other calls with the same issue and offered to send out a new set of apertures (Combat) to me. EXCELLENT customer service!
View Quote

I’m going to go home and check mine now, I thought it had the combat sights but now I’m not so sure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Received my M16A2 lower from PSA today and assembled it as far as I could.  Used a place saver buffer tube for now.  I found a kind-of-close non-hot-dog safety in my parts box.  Upper still hasn't shipped from ThunderTactical as far as I know.  .  My generic (not so correct) sling arrived from Amazon today also.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#23]
Received my M16A2 lower from PSA today and assembled it as far as I could.  Used a place saver buffer tube for now.  I found a kind-of-close non-hot-dog safety in my parts box.  Upper still hasn't shipped from ThunderTactical as far as I know.  .  My generic (not so correct) sling arrived from Amazon today also.

https://i.imgur.com/RIPIkBX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DFDDFq3.jpg
View Quote

Wait…the A2 safeties were different? I bought a lower build kit from Damage Industires and it came with the hotdog safety. What do the A2 safeties look like?
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Wait…the A2 safeties were different? I bought a lower build kit from Damage Industires and it came with the hotdog safety. What do the A2 safeties look like?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Selector on right should be period correct, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#25]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Selector_Lever_Comparison_01_jpg-2607832-2789627.JPG

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Selector_Lever_Comparison_01_jpg-2607832-2789627.JPG

Oh, I had no idea there was that big of a difference. Thanks for the comparison picture.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Windham email today says their 1:9 20” barrel is on sale for $215.00 for you A2 master race aficionados.

I have a m4 dissipator barrel on order so maybe next sale.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I got an email today from Thunder Tactical that my upper has shipped.  Ordered it on 4/10.   Website still says "backorder"  (not "in stock" like it did once).

Also, received my replacement combat sight apertures from Amherst yesterday.  Great customer service from them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By machinegunseabee:
Windham email today says their 1:9 20” barrel is on sale for $215.00 for you A2 master race aficionados.

I have a m4 dissipator barrel on order so maybe next sale.
View Quote

Dam, now I don't know if I should wait for the 1/7 or just get the 1/9.... I want to finish my build already! My PSA M16A2 lower is out for delivery today so will just need to set up time to transfer and wait 10 days to pick up....
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Thunder Tactical seems to have removed the A2 uppers from their website. The old link no longer works, and searching the site doesn't show any results.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Thunder Tactical seems to have removed the A2 uppers from their website. The old link no longer works, and searching the site doesn't show any results.
View Quote

I just noticed that.. was thinking about ordering a couple today but I guess I didn't carpe that diem fast enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

That’s unfortunate, hopefully they see the demand and are temporary removing them to ramp up production or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Oh, I had no idea there was that big of a difference. Thanks for the comparison picture.
View All Quotes

This
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Not in stock unfortunately.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:

Well that lasted all of nothing.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#36]
New Thunder Tactical A2 page
Looks like they are offering them with parts kits now
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#37]
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:
View Quote

Yup saw that yesterday but you still can't actually order them thou :(
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By joe_sun:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustDaniel:

Yeah, but even on the old link they would show unavailable for 4-5 days and then suddenly back in stock. Hopefully, they are just awaiting a shipment. I’m sure threads like this one have helped them sell out multiple times. Moar A2s!
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#39]
A2 from Thunder came in today. This one has a square forge mark.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Also just noticed the A2 sight from Amherst was installed backwards. The "0-2" and cup is facing forward. It doesn't matter as I am replacing with combat sights.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Got my rear sight from Amherst today. Looks really nice. Sae as others came in 1989 packaging. Now I can finish my A2 rifle upper.

I dropped the full rifle length upper on an XM177E2 carbine lower at the range this weekend to try out the barrel without the rear sights. My instinctive shooting ability absolutely sucks! .....but the upper was awesome. Can't wait to finish out the lower and get everything together.

Of course, I get a bunch of parts in and have to travel with work again....it always seems to work that way! I need another rear sight, though. If I order it in the morning, it should be here when I get back next week and I can finish both my A2 rifles!
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 12:35:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Forgemonkey1066:
Got my rear sight from Amherst today. Looks really nice. Sae as others came in 1989 packaging. Now I can finish my A2 rifle upper.

I dropped the full rifle length upper on an XM177E2 carbine lower at the range this weekend to try out the barrel without the rear sights. My instinctive shooting ability absolutely sucks! .....but the upper was awesome. Can't wait to finish out the lower and get everything together.

Of course, I get a bunch of parts in and have to travel with work again....it always seems to work that way! I need another rear sight, though. If I order it in the morning, it should be here when I get back next week and I can finish both my A2 rifles!
View Quote

Lol!  I feel your pain!  Most of my parts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow...but I'm leaving tomorrow a.m. on a 4 day fishing trip to Lake Powell...that I should be really excited about...but I'm bummed that I can't finish the rifle till I get back!  Funny.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#43]
There are currently (48) A2 upper reveivers in stock at Thunder Tactical, for those looking.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 5:09:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: joe_sun] [#44]
There are currently (48) A2 upper reveivers in stock at Thunder Tactical, for those looking.
View Quote

Was shipping always 20.00 for an upper? Seems excessive.

Placed an order for 2
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Looks as if Thunder Tactical isn't doing the preorder thing anymore. The 2 uppers I ordered yesterday just shipped and the add to cart has been removed from the website again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks as if Thunder Tactical isn't doing the preorder thing anymore. The 2 uppers I ordered yesterday just shipped and the add to cart has been removed from the website again.
View Quote

My order shipped as well. When I go to the page I'm able to add (47) to my cart. I think they had (39) left when I ordered last night. We'll see how long it takes for the shipping status to update
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:16:45 PM EDT
[#47]

My order shipped as well. When I go to the page I'm able to add (47) to my cart. I think they had (39) left when I ordered last night. We'll see how long it takes for the shipping status to update
View Quote

Dam you guys are killing me, now I am tempted to order another upper for maybe a XM177 or Blood Diamond Carbine build... black rifle disease at its peak...
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:35:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Dam you guys are killing me, now I am tempted to order another upper for maybe a XM177 or Blood Diamond Carbine build... black rifle disease at its peak...
View Quote

If your not selling plasma you haven't peaked.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#49]

If your not selling plasma you haven't peaked.
View Quote

What's the going rate for plasma these days?  Hmmm.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 4:04:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTallest] [#50]
Ugggghh....I don't know how much longer I can hold out for the Windham 1:7 barrels. I keep putting the 1:9 barrel in my cart.

Oh...the 1:9 are sold out now too... Missed the boat on that.
Page / 10
A2 upper receiver (Page 4 of 10)
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top