Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2014 4:12:35 PM EDT
Hi all,

I recently went to a shooting range with my best friend. He is a gun lover and he introduced me to his AR-15 (DPMS Panther 5.56). Firing a round with this rifle was just amazing and I now finally have the means to go ahead and get a rifle. I have been researching online and talking with folks at the gun stores in town but I realize that picking out a very good rifle is going to be difficult. Currently I have my eyes set on the Colt LE6920 Magpul and the Colt LE6920 Socom but from the onlilne research it looks like the Socom is not much different from the Magpul but still costs almost $400 more.

Would you please tell me which AR-15 companies I should be looking at (companies that build good quality rifles and not low end ones). I hear that Colt and Daniel Defense are good companies but I would like to hear about others out there. Which online gun stores are good to purchase from? Furthermore, can you please suggest nice quality AR-15 rifles and tell me if the AR-15 Magpul would be a good rifle to buy.

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:22:00 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you looking to do with the gun? Home defense? Range plinking? Precision shooting? Competition shooting? Looking badass? Hunting?

Depending on your price range as well as your intended purposes, there's a huge array of options for you to choose.

Some people here will tell you to buy/build a lower receiver and buy an upper from PSA to get a cheap milspec rifle. Others will tell you to get a Colt 6290.

There's tons of options out there.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I would use the rifle at the shooting range and for precision shooting. Possibly for home defense and hunting. My price is around $1600. If there is something that I can use for all these purposes that would be great. I would also like the rifle to be, as you put it "looking badass" lol.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're brand new to the AR platform it could be easier to buy a complete rifle or buy a complete upper and lower and just join them together. For what your budget is, you have a good range (price wise) to work with, Colt, Daniel Defense or Noveske are great rifles (brands) however you may be able to get what you need for your first rifle from Palmetto State Armory (just not PTAC) or Spikes Tactical and have $ enough for a good stock pile of ammo.  If you're really wanting to jump in, you could build one yourself and pretty much have your pick of parts if you built one yourself (if you have the tools) .  It can be done, just check the forum for "how to" posts and YouTube for vids.   Welcome and good luck. Happy shooting
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
BCM
Colt
Daniel Defense
LMT

All of these are very good quality manufactures and offer many choices in configuration. A Colt LE6920 with an Aimpoint PRO would also be a good start, quality rifle and optic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#5]
20 years ago I owned Armalite's. Then I sold them.

A couple of months back I got a hankering to own another AR. Had a pocket full of cash and started looking around. I ended up getting a Colt LE6920 Magpul at Wal-Mart of all places for $967.00 plus tax. The trigger was worse than a High Point Pistol. A bit of stone work and it's good to go. After 600 rounds or so the lower and upper started rattling like a old pickup truck that had only been driven on wash board roads all it's life. I had some shims laying around that worked with the front pin and made my own wedge for the rear pin and now the Colt is quite and can still be taken down with my fingers. No tools needed. The finish was so so. But after some run and gun it has scratches. I've already spent twice in ammo than I paid for the rifle. And only have 400 rounds left. I need to start reloading for this thing now. It's sited in on 62gn green tip, iron and Millett 1x4.

Just go get yeah something and start shooting the crap out of it. Tune it to your liking. It's not like your going to be a operator. :)
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to tell you like I tell everyone.  Save up $300-$400 dollars and get a KAC SR15 and you will never want for a better rifle.  Take your time and do a lot of research.  Carbine vs. mid length gas system, railed, key mod, modular fore ends.  There are many many things to consider.  

The only problem you might have if you bought the KAC is that you don't have much experience with ar's and you might not fully appreciate the SR15.

I've owned LMT, Colt, and Spikes.  All are top notch guns, but the KAC is almost like having some sort of an enhanced ar with features that regular ar's don't have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Another fine rifle to check out is the Smith & Wesson MP15. Several models to choose from. I happen to have a plain jane 311000 (LE). It's nearly identical to the civilian 811000. Great fit and finish and so far, loves all ammo
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 6:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with BCM and have no regrets. I did not and wish that I had. I have my BCM now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Smith and wesson Mapul Moe. Love, it shoots everything and places the bullet where I aim. It is a mid- length gas system. It is very light and it is fun to shoot (like most ars).  The muzzle break lowers recoil.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another fine rifle to check out is the Smith & Wesson MP15. Several models to choose from. I happen to have a plain jane 311000 (LE). It's nearly identical to the civilian 811000. Great fit and finish and so far, loves all ammo
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 3:06:32 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a lot of options out there. I'd buy the one you like the most and be happy.

Personally I'd buy a windham weaponry src and use the other $800 for optics mags and ammo.if your really worried about mil spec swap out the buffer tube .... ( unless your planning on beating the living crap out the the buffer tube it's a waste of time )
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#11]
as stated theres a million options available to you (god bless murica). I would say so long as the company is reputable, and the rifle mil spec (not a fan of the commercial stuff) you cant really go wrong. For a first time AR I think the PSA Patrol package with the Aimpoint PRO is a killer deal. You will eventually want another AR, probably another after that. The PSA is milspec, good fit and finish, great shooters in my expierience and the AP PRO is outstanding. Add a light, a sling and boom you have a solid fighting rifle. Ride it hard and put it away wet, save your pennies, and by the time you have the cash built up for your next stick you will know exactly what you want and can either build or buy accordingly. Just my .02, worth what you paid and all that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 5:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Remember, opinions are like a$$ holes, everybody has one.  Here's mine:

The name on the side is not as important as knowing what you are actually buying.  You've got plenty of budget to work with so you'll have many choices.  I suggest you get something with a 16 inch barrel and a mid-length gas system.  I recommend the barrel be chrome lined or melonite, but stainless is OK too.  Definitely get a flat top receiver and decide if you want a fixed front sight or if you like the folding sights.  Do you want traditional hand guards or a rail.  Look at the web sights for PSA (premium not PTAC), Spikes Tactical, Stag, Rock River, BCM, Daniel Defence, Armalite and Rainier.  Look at what they have and pay attention to the specific details in the descriptions.  You'll definitely find something.  If you get totally confused, buy something from Daniel Defense and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#13]
My first AR after a lot of research was the Colt Competition Rifle CRP-18. It's still the most accurate rifle in the safe, Winchester 69 gr OTM.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Like someone mentioned, building, to me, is the best option.  It forces you to do your research and figure out what you like and what you need before you spend a dime.  It also allows you to customize your rifle just for you from the beginning.  Almost everyone gets bitten by the bug around here, and very few buy a rifle and leave it like it was from the box.  By building you get a good working knowledge of the rifle, get a sense of pride in the acomplishment, and end up with a rifle just like you'd want a manufacturer to build.

Some will tell you that you don't save any money doing a build but I would argue that you will.  Instead of buying then upgrading all your upgrades are part of the original purchase.

Check out the ar-15 build videos Brownells has.  They are exceedingly simple and break the process down to simple 2-3 min snippets of each little subsystem of the rifle.  Finish the videos you finish your gun and are ready to shoot.  If you can do a tuneup on your car you can build an AR.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]

As a newly diagnosed sufferer of BRD (Black Rifle Disease) I can only recommend what I have. It just sort of jumped into my arms at a local gun show, so I had to take it home. I was also looking for something to see how accurate I could shoot at the range, and would feel comfortable with for home defense. At just over the $1k mark it looks like it’s in your price range.

Good Luck with your search.

STAG ARMS (Model 3T-M) It just feels right (and shoots good too)! :

Link Posted: 3/14/2014 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
BCM
Colt
Daniel Defense
LMT

All of these are very good quality manufactures and offer many choices in configuration. A Colt LE6920 with an Aimpoint PRO would also be a good start, quality rifle and optic.
View Quote

Very fine advice.

Add LaRue Tactical to the above list.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 3:37:51 PM EDT
[#18]
The one company out there that a lot of people don't really talk much about is Seekins Precision. They build excellent quality rifles from top to bottom. Whether you're looking for forged or billet, they have it. Whether you're looking for a 3G rifle or something for plinking or hunting, they make it. I would seriously consider them a top contender among all of the other "commercial" names that people drop every day ie; DD, Colt, BCM, RRA, Stag, etc.

Find them right here

Good Luck
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#19]
since you already had two choices in mind, just get the 6920 Moe, it's all the rifle you'll ever need, and is close if not the best in terms of value.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Smith and wesson Mapul Moe. Love, it shoots everything and places the bullet where I aim. It is a mid- length gas system. It is very light and it is fun to shoot (like most ars).  The muzzle break lowers recoil.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The S&W Magpul edition is a great rifle for a factory configuration.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you to all for their suggestions and answers.

I have decided to go with Daniel Defense as my first AK-15. I am looking into the M4V4 and M4V5 but cannot decide between the two (these rifles have great reviews). Both are not much different from one another except for them having different length handguards (M4V4 has a 9.0 handguard and the V5 has a 12.0 handguard). Is the handguard length important or is it just up to what the user likes?

Also, is there anything that anyone can share about these two different versions?

Thanks in advance,

Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:58:23 PM EDT
[#22]
V4 is a carbine gas I think, I recommend the midlength.

For DD's I usually suggest either the V5LW or the V7LW depending on whether you want a quad rail or not.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have decided to go with Daniel Defense as my first AK-15. I am looking into the M4V4 and M4V5 but cannot decide between the two (these rifles have great reviews). Both are not much different from one another except for them having different length handguards (M4V4 has a 9.0 handguard and the V5 has a 12.0 handguard). Is the handguard length important or is it just up to what the user likes?

Also, is there anything that anyone can share about these two different versions?

Thanks in advance,

View Quote

get the 12" handguard, not much extra weight, will make a good bit of difference when shooting with irons. plus I always like to have as much rail real estate as possible
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

get the 12" handguard, not much extra weight, will make a good bit of difference when shooting with irons. plus I always like to have as much rail real estate as possible
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance,

Yes, if you don't get the 12" now, you'll want it soon enough.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#25]
It looks like there are different types of V5 (LW (light weight) and FT (full top). And a quad rail does sound nice so I will be going with the V5. But here are some questions: is the LW better than the FT? Or is the FT also light weight?

Here is a link for the FT version of the rifle: http://grabagun.com/dd-v5-556nato-16-blk-30rd-ft-mid.html

Here is the link got the LW version: http://grabagun.com/dd-v5-556nato-16-blk-30rd-lw-bbl.html

I am also considering ordering from grabagun.com as I read only good reviews for the site plus they have some great prices. Please advise if you think otherwise.

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Never heard the term "FT", but the photo and description looks like it is the government profile barrel.  I'd get the LW if it was me.

What kind of sights are you thinking about?  Iron sights, optics (what kind), etc.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#27]
between the LW and the government profile barrel would the weight be much difference? Could you add a little to this? I will be looking into getting optics.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Was just curious on the sights/optics.

Weight difference is like 6 ounces, which doesn't sound like a lot but the extra weight is all out at the muzzle so it really changes the balance and handling.  Gov profile is the same as lightweight from the breech to the gas block, but then heavy to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I am looking at purchasing the DDM4V5 from http://www.clydearmory.com. They show a great price for the rifle (1429.95). Does anyone have anything to say about this company? Please advise.

I would also like to ask for some advice on which scopes to purchase that are good but not too pricey (in the 150 to 250 dollar range) for my rifle. I would like to get a red dot sight and scope which I would change out depending on the need. I am currently looking at Burris (burrisoptics.com). Do I need a QD mount? Because there are some scopes that can be attached to the rail...

Thank in advance,
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Very fine advice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
BCM
Colt
Daniel Defense
LMT

Very fine advice.

All the above are excellent choices!

If you are on a tighter budget, then look at either a Rock River or a Windham.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#31]
I will be purchasing the DDM4V5 LW (no sights) rifle from clydearmory.com and I am currently looking at Burris (burrisoptics.com) for rifle optics Can someone let me know if they are good brand for rifle optics? Or if not, could you point me towards some good red dot and scope optics in the price range of $150-$250? Also, who would be a good manufacturer for a vertical grip and what would be a good vertical grip to get if were to upgrade the stock grip that comes with the rifle?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Best budget red dot is the full size Lucid HD7. Nothing but good reviews, available screw in 2x magnifier. It's not an ACOG but nothing is. You cannot get any scope considered good by this board for 250. I have a Leupold 1-4x20 that I love but you won't find it for 250. 279 I think I paid VX2 model. Another 100 or so for the Burris P.E.P.R QD mount for it, another 65 for weaver scope lapping kit. Do it right the first time lap your scope rings. You cannot go wrong with any Leupold as far as I can tell. As time goes on I'm a bigger fan of more magnification. My eyes aren't great, I'm nearsighted. I'm in the process of painting a pair of Liberty Sport goggles black intending to put some high quality anti-reflective poly in them as shooting glasses for storage for SHTF.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I guess my budget is around $500 but I wanted to get both a red dot and scope. Any advice on a good scope and red dot sight. I am also thinking of getting a tri-laser. Are there any good tri-laser brands out there?
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I guess my budget is around $500 but I wanted to get both a red dot and scope. Any advice on a good scope and red dot sight. I am also thinking of getting a tri-laser. Are there any good tri-laser brands out there?
View Quote

WTH is a tri-laser?

The best thing you could do to start with, is invest in a quality red dot like an Aimpoint PRO.  Cheap glass will surely disappoint, and I know this from experience.  I had 2 of those Burris things, and I am happy that I was able to get rid of them.  Cheap glass ruins a good experience with the rifle.  When one won't hold zero, shooting becomes a chore, and less of an enjoyment.

Look into magnified optics after you get comfy with the rifle, and have a few thousand successful rounds on target with red dot, and the irons.

Link Posted: 3/17/2014 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok. So since I would like both a scope (4-12x40) and a red dot reflex sight, would it be possible to find a good red dot reflex sight that I can attach to the scope? I am currently debating whether to get a Leupold Rifleman Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Wide Duplex Reticle Matte   or the Leupold VX-2 Rifle Scope 4-12x 40mm Duplex Reticle Matte Any suggestions on these two scopes? Or would you recommend some other scope? I will be using it for hunting and on the rifle range.

The red dot reflex sight would be used on the rifle range as well and while hunting as well.

Thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#36]
And so I ordered the DDM4V5 Govt profile 556 rifle and my FFL dealer received the shipment. The shipment came from Clyde Armory and did not come with their FFL copy. So, my dealer informed me that they require the FFL from the seller, in this case Clyde Armory. And now after researching online I come to find out that Clyde Armory is very protective of their FFL and does not provide copies of it. I am hoping that when I contact them tomorrow they can do something like verify my dealers' FFL and send a copy to them. Otherwise, I will be very upset.

The rifle looks great by the way and Clyde Armory did a great job with changing my order in the last few hours from the LW to the Gov't Profile version.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Congratulations on a very fine choice!

My recommendation would be to buy some good iron sights, lots of ammo, and shoot the piss out of it before spending money on optics. And as others have said, cheap optics are cheap for a reason. Save up and buy one good optic at a time unless you have deep pockets. This is the start of a great journey, savor it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#38]
sig m-400, just sayin, never had a ftf or jam. i shoot russian zinc plated ammo.lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#39]
I bought the Daniel Defense M4V5 about 5 weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the looks and how it shoots. I've had a Colt Match HBAR and an LMT in the past and they were both great ARS but I like the Daniel Defense best thus far. The first thing I added was Troy folding sights. I then traded the MOE stock for the CTR version which eliminates any stock movement since it has the friction lock. Then I installed a Geissele SSA-E trigger which really makes this a fine shooting rifle. I just added an Aimpoint T1 red dot with a Larue QD mount which I really like since it only added 6 ozs to the weight of the rifle. I also have a Leupold 3X9 scope with an American Defense QD mount to use for long range bench shooting.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top