Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/6/2014 8:15:53 AM EDT
Never posted here! Sure hope I have the right forum. If not please move it!
I’m looking to update my 223 rifle platform.
As of now I’m still using my AR-180 Stoner!
No this is not you grandsons AR-180.  This is an original  Armalite’s AR-180,
And YES! I did buy it new!

So I was thinking, after 30 plus years, It was time to upgrade.
I’m strongly leaning towards an M-4 style AR-15 with a 14in barrel. (maybe 12in)
And  of course a suppresser. All it is going to take is time, money and paper work.
The time I well have this summer. Money should be there too,I hope and for that damn paper work
Well it is, the damn paper work. It is hopefully workable!
Hey, two out of three! It is a start, Right?
I know this is where I ask, Hey what rifle do you have? Why did you buy it? Or maybe I would ask:
What is so great about you AR-15 that I should buy one like yours?
But not this time. My questions this time is: What is the one thing about your AR-15 rifle you did not like, before and even after you bought it?  Did you change it?                                     “I just lived with it!!!”  Why?
So can you help me out?
I’m not asking for a trashing of any rifle. Whether you do or do not own said rifle.

Thanks a lot for any and all information!

PITA45
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt finish is crap and it is overpriced for what you get
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I hate to agree but... Yes colt does have a poor finish altough it is a VERY good dependable rifle. I can not say that I have ever heard anyone say they purchased a colt for the finish. Millions of people have put their lives on the line with it though.  And yes a little overpriced in my opinion but a great rifle non the less.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed. Don't buy colt!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
You seem like a very smart man.
I recommended the MK18 Daniel Defense upper. 10.3 barrel. SOLID bullet proof platform. Do a pistol lower till your stamp gets approved and wait for your suppressor to come in the mail.

DDmk18 is battle proven!

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#5]
you don't buy a colt for the finish,  you buy a colt to use for its intended purpose a tool

I have a  Daniel defense and a bcm if I want something with a nice finish

colt was built to do its job and be put thru Hell and that's exactly my use for it and it hasn't failed me yet

I always see all this colt hate but it served me well and got me out of   quite a few "situations"

op  yes colt doesn't have that great of a finish but it's durable rugged and most of all reliable,  so is Daniel defense and bravo company but as said above the finish on the Daniel defense and bcm  are allot nicer than the colt but they all get the job done
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow... A thread that asks what AR NOT to buy and all anyone can come up with is Colt??? What in the world has this forum come to.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wow... A thread that asks what AR NOT to buy and all anyone can come up with is Colt??? What in the world has this forum come to.
View Quote

LOL this is what I was thinking. I think the colt haters were anticipating everyone to recommend colt so they preemptively launched an assault. And sadly all they could come up with was the finish. LOL
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
This IS a quality rifle that you can bet your life on, pretty is for girls...

Colt AR6720
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Agreed. Don't buy colt!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Don't buy colt!

Second that!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't buy anything with the name Hesse, Vulcan, or Blackthorn on it as a safety issue.  After that?????
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, good lord.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd add Olympic to that  

If I was buying a new rifle I would buy a Colt, yes it may be dinged up, does not matter
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't buy anything with the name Hesse, Vulcan, or Blackthorn on it as a safety issue.  After that?????
I'd add Olympic to that  

If I was buying a new rifle I would buy a Colt, yes it may be dinged up, does not matter

Amless
no failures in over 10 years on using and selling those oly's
so should i go buy a loto ticket ...lol
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd add Olympic to that  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd add Olympic to that  

Don't buy any AR with a polymer lower.

There is no good brand of polymer lower.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:18:13 PM EDT
[#16]
AR15s are not new technology..... might as well buy something newer and have a few extras for the same money.

Now is the right time too.. the market is flooded with boutique manufactures who are coming out with new parts and rifles daily.

Why settle for colt when for the same price you can have a LOT more somewhere else and be just as or more reliable.

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
AR15s are not new technology..... might as well buy something newer and have a few extras for the same money.

Now is the right time too.. the market is flooded with boutique manufactures who are coming out with new parts and rifles daily.

Why settle for colt when for the same price you can have a LOT more somewhere else and be just as or more reliable.

View Quote

This^^^ look at a Sig M400 everything a colt is with more modern features
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd add Olympic to that  

I like my CavArms.  I've heard no reports of systemic failures with them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd add Olympic to that  

100% agree.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#21]
The don't trash anything part of the OP's request sure hasn't been respected... My 2 Colts finish were flawless and plenty of people like the polymer lowers, even though I wouldn't pick one per se. Wish we could keep things on track these days....
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#22]
When you come into an AR BASICS forum and post "don't buy a colt" you should probably instead be starting a new topic "teach ME about ARs"

OP. You cannot go wrong buying an AR15 from any vendor on this site. I would recommend avoiding "kit" rifle companies for your first gun (once you're well versed in repair, replacement, and fine tuning a rough rifle those are fine and a good bargain)

However colt is the baseline standard for quality function in an AR15 type rifle. They go up from there, and they certainly go down from there.

Stag
RRA
Windham
Rainier
Bravo company
FN
Larue
noveske
Pof
Lwrci
Dpms
Armalite

Are all fine.

Be wary of fly by night brands. A lot of "slap shit together and sell for 1400" companies crawled out of the last panic.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I know when I was looking at buying a rifle the first thing I thought was it better look as good as a freshly buffed Lambo on the showroom floor.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#24]
You will never go wrong nor regret buying a Colt at the price they are now.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I never said Colt was a bad gun, Just had poor finish. Millions of military men and women have depended using Colt for how many years? Colt is a fantastic gun and would serve anyone well, along with being one of the most reliable guns ever made. They do have a history of having poor finish though. Ain't no beauty queen! But she will never let you down except at a beauty contest. There is numerous gun makers out there that strive on looks (cosmetics) that do just as good as colt but. will not have the history of a Colt and look like a runway model. If you need to grab a gun, which one are you gonna grab, The beauty queen that's sat in the safe? or the workhorse with a tried and true heritage? I own a colt and Noveske BTW
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Just don't buy a Bushmaster Carbon 15, or anything similar from other manufacturers.  Complete garbage.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:58:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The don't trash anything part of the OP's request sure hasn't been respected... My 2 Colts finish were flawless and plenty of people like the polymer lowers, even though I wouldn't pick one per se. Wish we could keep things on track these days....
View Quote

The OP wanted to know what NOT to buy. It's sort of impossible to say "Don't buy this" without saying something bad about that product. I think for the strange question asked, these are pretty much the answers to be expected.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:22:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Right now CDNN has the colt 6920 w// rogers stocks and magpul back up sights for $999

All magpul is $1049

Great deal.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:32:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hate to agree but... Yes colt does have a poor finish altough it is a VERY good dependable rifle. I can not say that I have ever heard anyone say they purchased a colt for the finish. Millions of people have put their lives on the line with it though. And yes a little overpriced in my opinion but a great rifle non the less.
View Quote

Did they have a choice?

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Did they have a choice?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate to agree but... Yes colt does have a poor finish altough it is a VERY good dependable rifle. I can not say that I have ever heard anyone say they purchased a colt for the finish. Millions of people have put their lives on the line with it though. And yes a little overpriced in my opinion but a great rifle non the less.

Did they have a choice?

I just rolled my eyes so hard I hurt myself.

I've fired infinitely more ammo through issued m16s and m4s than I will ever from my nicer personal guns and experienced no malfunctions that were not magazine related.

The colt is the standard for quality. FN and LMT are right there with it.

If everyone was allowed to carry their own shit, the fail would be so laughable it would be amazing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Given OP has had an Armalite for 30 years I just feel like he's the kind of guy who will be best served by a Colt 6920 to start. Then he can customize it to whatever he wants. I know he wants to hear what we don't like but I just don't think me saying that I don't like a traditional handguard and prefer a quadrail or any other such nuggets of information will help much. A rifle needs to be what the owner prefers, not a group of people on the internet. For instance my go to rifle is my Colt 6940. It fits my needs perfectly. Many will complain the rail is too short. But I think it fits my needs fine. I prefer a grip pod, and others will say they hate them. I love the flip up front and rear sights, but some will want to use a magnified scope and could care less about the iron sights. It really is all personal preference and use. I think if you want a classic M4 base for a reasonable price that will be reliable, go with the 6920, then customize it from there. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]
With the 6920  available  for about $1,100, I don't know why anybody would buy an Armalite / BCM / Bushmaster / CMMG / DPMS / Rock River / Ruger / Sig / Windham / whatever else non-boutique AR at about the same price.

Take a close look at some Colt's and judge  for yourself OP. Be sure to  carry a magnifying glass with you to the gunshop.  

I've bought three Colt's ( 2- 6940's & 1- 6920 ) in the last four years and the finish is perfect on every one. Function, reliability and accuracy are excellent.

It seems to be a "cool" thing to bash Colt's finish lately on these forums but :

<image removed, save it for GD..........dpmmn>

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 1:53:48 PM EDT
[#33]
The Colt LE6920 is a great rifle but IMHO the AR6720 brings so much to the table with the 1:7 twist and lightweight barrel. It is very often overlooked and for $888 shipped, it is a hell of a deal.

Colt AR6720
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The OP wanted to know what NOT to buy. It's sort of impossible to say "Don't buy this" without saying something bad about that product. I think for the strange question asked, these are pretty much the answers to be expected.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a tech forum, asking for what not to buy with valid reasoning and explanation of, is a perfectly valid question. Also asking NOT to have a bunch of trash talk BS inserted into that thread is a perfectly valid request as well. If you want to talk trash, fine, but GD is the place for that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:15:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Id be bored out of my flipping mind with a Colt LE6920. Doesn't even have a quad rail.

For $1,000 that's an awful deal. Reminds me a fishing pole its so boring.

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Pita, do you understandthe NFA laws which require a tax stamp and long wait for rifles with a barrel under 16 inches? As for your first Rifle I would strongly recommend you consider building an lower reciever and buying a complete upper that fits your requirements. Palmetto State Armory normally has some great deals on uppers.

Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Go look at the AR Pistol thread, and start your build as one while you file/wait for your stamp(s)...
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Id be bored out of my flipping mind with a Colt LE6920. Doesn't even have a quad rail.

View Quote

At least you can put a big shiny brass reel on a fishing pole.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 9:59:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just don't buy a Bushmaster Carbon 15, or anything similar from other manufacturers.  Complete garbage.
View Quote

I will second that 100%. A buddy bought a Bushmaster a couple  weeks ago even though  I tried to convince him not to.  What a piece of junk. Feed ramps were jagged and rough. Looked like  they were formed with a hammer  and chisel.  I didn't even take  it apart to check the BCG. He is  new to AR's and I handed him a PSA  build  I recently completed so he could compare them side by side. His exact words "I'm selling this piece of shit".

I've got an older Bushmaster I got in about 2001 it is stamped Windham Maine.. It has been a great rifle never a single malfunction that wasn't caused by ammo or a mag. I guess when Remington bought them out  they just ruined what was a pretty decent reputation for a mid level rifle.  Damn  shame.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I like my CavArms.  I've heard no reports of systemic failures with them.
View Quote

Cavarms (now GWACS) CAV15 lowers are the only polymer lowers worth buying.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

This is a tech forum, asking for what not to buy with valid reasoning and explanation of, is a perfectly valid question. Also asking NOT to have a bunch of trash talk BS inserted into that thread is a perfectly valid request as well. If you want to talk trash, fine, but GD is the place for that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Semantics. I guess it comes down to what you call trash talk. I didn't see what I would consider trash talking here. Just people expressing opinions on why they would or wouldn't recommend a particular product. It's a gray area, but you can't avoid it with the question OP asked.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I know when I was looking at buying a rifle the first thing I thought was it better look as good as a freshly buffed Lambo on the showroom floor.  
View Quote

Great first post.

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#43]
I heard olympic arms makes poor quality ARs, but hats not form first hand experience though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here's some real sound advice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#45]
You can build a top of the line PSA rifle with most of it built by FN or buy an FN. I would custom build a 16"-18" sub moa rifle plan on $800 for the upper and$250-$300 for the lower. Brothers last build was in the 800-900 range. FF CL Hammer forged FN barrel, Magpul from one end to the other.
For 1K I am wanting to build a 16" sub moa sub 7.5lb rifle.

Sterling ar180? I had the opportunity to buy one back in 2004 for $800, I bought a Colt match Target Hbar that was decked out with stuff instead for 1K. I do not regret buying the Colt but wish I had the 180

Colts are good rifles and make good base rifles that old value, but for the same money you can get a rifle with more options. Sigs and some other have ambi controls from the factory.

Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Agreed. Don't buy colt!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Don't buy colt!

Amazing, in service with the US military for decades, yet not good enough for an internet commando.
Hilarious.
Lots of mindless nonsense in this thread.
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 11:00:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You seem like a very smart man.
I recommended the MK18 Daniel Defense upper. 10.3 barrel. SOLID bullet proof platform. Do a pistol lower till your stamp gets approved and wait for your suppressor to come in the mail.

DDmk18 is battle proven!

View Quote

I am a fan of DD and own a few.  They are very nice rifles, but I wouldn't say they are battle proven.  Their rails are battle proven maybe.
The only "battle proven" brands would be Colt and FN.  Possibly LMT if the MK18 upper assembly was actually issued by Crane.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I'd skip the PTAC for quality issues
I'd skip the M&P sport for resale isues

If I were spending the cash on SBRing and getting a can I'd buy the best I could afford. For me that's nothing all that great. Maybe the Colt or a DD.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#49]
I only own one AR (for now) and its a Colt, so call me a fan boy if you want. But personally, my Colt's finish is excellent. Maybe I got lucky. I also not saying Colts are the best, but they have been battle proven for a long time. I never plan on having to use my AR in a SHTF scenario, but if it happens i'm sure I won't be worrying about its finish.

I know this wasn't really answering the OP's question, but it explains why Colt shouldn't be counted out when purchasing a very good AR.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Amazing, in service with the US military for decades, yet not good enough for an internet commando.
Hilarious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. Don't buy colt!

Hilarious.

Completely agree.  This may be the all time tool thread. Unfortunate for the true newbie who is looking for some SOUND basic advice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top