Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never used Aero receivers on AR15's but,
have used them exclusively in M5's (AR10's).

They fit exceptionally well. Using Aero receivers as the "skeleton"
for your build, you have no worries.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jamesp:
Aero's sibling company Ballistic Advantage has some good sales every now and then.
View Quote

Roger, and BKings Firearms has great sales on BA barrels at times.

My last one came that way, very pleased with it, 77 bucks for a nice midlength 16".
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 9:57:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#3]
The M4E1 receivers get a big thumbs up from me.  I literally have a safe full of their Thunder Ranch edition receiver sets.  Love them.

I have to have built two dozen of them by now, never had an issue.

Aero BCG’s have been fine IME, but I don’t use them anymore.  Modern Armory NP3 for me.

I like the Aero Enhanced Buffer Tubes.

Their adjustable gas block has been fine too, I have them on 5 builds, no issues yet, but they don’t have 1000’s of rounds either.  I do like that they’re detent based.

Never had an issue with their LPK’s.

Not a big fan of their handguards, though I’ve never had an issue with one.  Prefer Midwest Industries.

I don’t have experience with their QC’d barrels from BA.  Have had several BA barrels.  The Hanson Premiums are fine for the money if you get them cheap on sale for $120 or so, and it includes a pinned gas block.  Tough to beat them for that price.  Assuming bang for the buck is your measuring stick.  If accuracy is what you want, I wouldn’t recommend them, though they aren’t terrible.  But you’ll pay for that accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 2:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Stowe:
I've used a bunch. 1 was with the "enhanced" M4E1 upper. I wouldnt go that route. It sounds good on paper, but realistically gains you nothing and limits your handguard options. The standard sets are great though. Well made and have nice little touches like a machined in trigger guard, threaded mag catch screw etc. They're a bit more money than a PSA receiver set, but not a big deal when you price out what the whole build is going to cost you.
View Quote

The M4E1 Enhanced upper weighs 12.4 oz w/o bcg and the standard 8.65 oz. The 4 oz saved with the standard lower goes a long way if an LPVO added.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:09:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe I'm wrong, but don't several manufacturers/assemblers use Aero receivers in their products?

Haven't used Aero lowers on any builds but their uppers have been top notch and I'd say equal to several (God I hate to use the term) top tier brands.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 2:52:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobinNC] [#6]
Originally Posted By jamesp:

The M4E1 Enhanced upper weighs 12.4 oz w/o bcg and the standard 8.65 oz. The 4 oz saved with the standard lower goes a long way if an LPVO added.
View Quote

Where are you getting your lower weights from??

Aero Stripped AR15 Lower 8.35 oz

Aero Stripped A4E1 lower 8.61 oz.

AR15 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER, SPECIAL EDITION: FREEDOM - ANODIZED BLACK

M4E1 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER - ANODIZED BLACK

Look under the Specification's Tab

As to Aero's Uppers Go:

AR15 ASSEMBLED UPPER RECEIVER - ANODIZED BLACK is 8.35 oz

AR15 M4E1 ENHANCED UPPER RECEIVER - ANODIZED BLACK is 12.4 oz

The biggest reason not to get an Aero M4E1 Enhanced Upper is not it's weight, but it's massive limitation on handguard choice.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Only complaint I have is that their 308 and 300 blackout barrels are a bit undergassed due to the gas hole being undersized. This can require some tuning with buffer weights and springs.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WrenchGuy:
For the most part, Aero is good kit.

The only issue I’ve ever had was with their barrel provider which sold me two crappy pencil barrels, but I just don’t use their barrels in anything anymore, ever.
View Quote

Their barrels are generally accurate, but if you're going to be using a suppressor the 308 and 300 blackout barrels can be problematic because the gas port is undersized.

So now when I build an Aero for someone, I recommend they put in a Faxon or Criterion barrel, depending on their budget.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Aero is more garbage than I thought

Old Ben has been making a couple of videos about Aero. Hadn’t heard about any of these issues previously.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 7:13:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Curare] [#10]
Ben is wise. Evidently Aero still has issues.

Probably 6-7 years ago I had my first and last Aero lower. The selector detent hole was bored off the selector rotation axis so that the selector was rotated clockwise or counterclockwise (do not remember). They offered to take it back. At the time lowers were iirc. $50. I just chopped it for scrap rather than bother dealing with that company further. Not worth my time.

I wish them the best. Hopefully they improve their products. Their receivers and rails look cool.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I've built a few ARs lately using their stripped upper, lower and handguard and haven't had any issues.  I'll definitely buy more when on sale.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
No clue the total round count on this one but it’s north of 5K. Home build with a Faxon 14.5 gunner barrel and a toolcraft BCG, otherwise it’s all Aero. YMMV

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Did a lightweight build with their slick side upper receiver, nitride gas tube and nitride adjustable gas block with a Faxon 14.5 pencil barrel. Came out great, no issues in ~1k rounds. Not a fan of their hand guard designs so I also prefer Midwest Industries.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#14]
87% of my builds have been with Aero Precision m4e1 receivers.

What I like:

The pin block fitments are generally tighter than average mil-spec receivers, the threaded nylon tipped adjustment is super nice.

The built in trigger guards.

The threaded pins /  take down pin detent hole.

Flared mag well.

What I do not like:

The giant disgusting “A” roll mark. Terrible…

The finish on every single one I’ve purchased (20 or so) should have been blems. They all have poor finishes, I’ve never seen one I consider nicely finished.

They are tools at the end of the day so not a show stopper, just mildly irritating.

They have a stealth version without the hideous roll mark that I will be changing some of my lowers out for.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top