Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2011 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
They arent out yet.

Magpul seems to be the only one thus far to have gotten a plymer mag to work just as well as an aluminum USGI mag.  And it even took them a while to work everything out.  So I am very leary of any new polymer magazine even if its from Troy.

I probably will never own one, I am not going into battle and it says its a battlemag anyways.

Tapco. People may laugh, but they are as good as Magpul and USGI. You have to get the Gen II ones though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2011 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked one up this past weekend. I haven't had a chance to round some rounds through it but I have noticed one thing about the mag.

In my Charles Daly lower, it fits nice and snug, but inserted in my S&W MP15 lower it has a good amount of wobble to it. I saw in some posts that some wobbled enough to remove the mag without the release so I'll see if it's that lose tonight. A GI/PMAG both fit snug in both lowers. So I have no idea if this will cause any feed/function issues until I actual shoot with it.

Beyond that pretty pleased with it for the price/quality. I took the T pull of the bottom, just didn't care for it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2011 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The amount of spring pressure when you remove the floor plate is crazy.  With a GI, Lancer, or Pmag, you can control the release of the base plate and spring very easily.  With the Troy, once you pop the second tab, it goes flying out.  Make sure it's pointed in a safe direction

Troy needs to un-ass their instructions, or post an instructional video......it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 6:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Pmag's in my hand feels no more stout than Thermolds.  Actually less stout than Orlites.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The amount of spring pressure when you remove the floor plate is crazy.  With a GI, Lancer, or Pmag, you can control the release of the base plate and spring very easily.  With the Troy, once you pop the second tab, it goes flying out.  Make sure it's pointed in a safe direction

Troy needs to un-ass their instructions, or post an instructional video......it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

Maybe they changed their packaging.  Mine came in individual blister packs with the instructions printed on them.  Once I read and followed the directions, it was pretty easy.  But you do need to use care-the spring and floorplate will launch if you don't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:05:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one to test in my FN SCAR.  Took it to a quick carbine course this week at Tiger Valley.  Ran 100%, dropped free, held the bolt open, fed fine.  So far I am very happy with the design.  These will stack flat which I appreciate.
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The followers arn't as tilt free as the Magpuls, but are tilt resistant and seem good to go.  I just got 6 from Midway.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 3:33:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a 3 pack to play with I have Lancers thermolds and p-mags
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 3:38:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I am going to have to pick at least one of these up the scale pattern for grip looks just like the scale pattern on my Kimber Raptor.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
So do the OD green ones match the Magpul OD green, otherwise I may have to Buy Just 1 Pmag

USGI mags work. SO yeah I dont have a single plastic mag, yet I just want one to match my OD Magpul stuff on my Carbine
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Troy Battle Mag Destructive Testing uploaded by 'TroyIndustries'

Troy Mag vs Pmag independent study

Personally I like to keep all my mags loaded. Empty magazines are of no use to me. Most all of my mags are metal with Magpul anti tilt followers installed and I've never had a single malfunction due to any of my magazines. My point is ... I do not like mag caps to take stress off the feed lips. I just can't think of a good reason to buy either brand polymer magazine (Magpul or Troy).

Magpul Pmags appear to be more flexible in comparison so the weakest links must be that the feed lips bend when left loaded long term. Durability due to their flexibility?

Troy Battle Mags appear to be less flexible, but 'supposedly' have reinforced feed lips. I suppose time will tell whether or not their reinforced feed lips prove to be effective.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 2:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So what happens when I drive over my $129 Surefire 60rd mag?  If it's crushed flat that means it sucks dick?

While these reviews are always entertaining I surely wouldn't base a purchase decision on this and this alone.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When is the last time I ran over my mags with a truck?  These are parlor trick tests.

What I care about is mag function.

I recently took four mags to the range for a follower/spring test.  I loaded two rounds/each in a Brownells 20 rd (SOCOM brown), Tango Down ARC Mk2, Troy, and Fusil, and fired them from a suppressed POF 11.5" SBR.  By pushing the mag well into the bench, the gun is firing essentially as if it were in a vise (which it was not designed to do).  The Troy and Fusil ran- the other two had repeated bolt over base malfunctions.  In addition, the bolt did not lock back when 1 round was loaded in the Brownells and Tango Down mags and fired.  This means that the bolt carrier is outrunning the follower.

I will also do this test with the most recent Pmag and Lancer AWM.

Keep in mind that the conditions I subjected these mags to doesn't mean that the Brownells and Tango Down won't run in a 14.5+" AR shot off the shoulder or bipod.  

From what I've seen so far of the Troy, I'm impressed.

ETA: the Tango Down Mk2 worked fine in a 14.5" unsuppressed midlength upper.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troy Battle Mag Destructive Testing uploaded by 'TroyIndustries'

Personally I like to keep all my mags loaded. Empty magazines are of no use to me. Most all of my mags are metal with Magpul anti tilt followers installed and I've never had a single malfunction due to any of my magazines. My point is ... I do not like mag caps to take stress off the feed lips. I just can't think of a good reason to buy either brand polymer magazine (Magpul or Troy).

Magpul Pmags appear to be more flexible in comparison so the weakest links must be that the feed lips bend when left loaded long term. Durability due to their flexibility?

Troy Battle Mags appear to be less flexible, but 'supposedly' have reinforced feed lips. I suppose time will tell whether or not their reinforced feed lips prove to be effective.

To clarify, we consider use of the Impact/Dust Cover optional as we have never observed any appreciable feed lip creep on the PMAG.  With the cover on storage life should be indefinite.  However, we've had full magazines loaded without the cover for over four years now and have seen no issues.

The cover's main purpose is to protect the feed lips from potential impact damage in storage/transit and to help keep dirt and debris out.  While not necessary, it also makes for a handy tool for disassembling the mag as well as unloading cartridges.  Basically, the Impact/Dust Cover is just a value-added feature.

That's very good to know. I misread the info shown in the Magazine Comparison page. I misread it as though there IS a feed lip problem

Of course no one is going to drive over their magazines. People like seeing OTHERS drive over their magazines just to see what would happen Just like we like to see videos of Aimpoints being shot at, blown up, drug behind a truck down a gravel road, etc...  I ignorantly thought that there was a feed lip 'weakness' when storing full mags, but that is evidently not the case. That being the case ... I would prefer Magpul Pmags.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#18]
How in THE HELL do you get these damn battle mags apart and swap out the sill ass handle BS????  anyone have pics?  im about to hit it with a bloody sledgehammer.... bust it apart to see how it hooks together.  PITA item for sure!
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm just going to cut mine off! What a pain!
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 12:00:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Just push in the 'ranger' pull tab until it unlocks from its outward position.  Then push in the tabs on either side.....

Thats the easy part.  Getting the flush baseplate to lock into position is the tricky part.  I found just loading the mag will pop it out with spring tension.  I like these mags a lot.  Def better feel and weight over pmags.  But the directions are worse than the baseplate design.  Im not sure who proofed those and said,"sounds good. Print those directions."  cause they are awful
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright!  So I got all the floor plates swapped out.  First and foremost... I couldn't get the pull tab to press in on any of them.  I ended up grabbing a awl (or a small flathead) and wedged it in each hole, popped the tab in and pushed it up, then did the other side and pulled the floor plate off.  The I actually used a small flathead to pry the floor plate off the pull tab... that thing was all sorts of wedged on there... no wonder I couldn't get it to push in.  Either way, the flush inserts fell right into the floor plate and then I just popped it back together.  Definitely an odd design since but not that I know how to do it... no biggy.  I still dont get the whole push the insert in the mag body, then press in tabs to release floor plate... that method damn near would take three hands to do.... small screwdriver seemed to do it well.

Overall, I think the floor plate design is pretty tough as long as you're not taking the mag apart every month... once locked in, I don't see how you can break it cause that bugger is IN there.  Now if you take it apart alot, I can see the area below the tab holes cracking from having tools jabbed in there all the time or the tabs themselves rounding off.  Kinda a none issue for me since I hardly ever take mags apart unless they actually need thorough.... like every 5 years!  The body itself... definitely very thin-plastic feeling and Im not sure why they didn't run the fish scale texture all the way around the outside of the mag... that would make it feel REALLY good.  The only area that looks weak to me are the feed lips actually.  They're pretty thin like the mag body.... but unlike the mag body, theyll see alot more wear-n-tear as well as impacts when you drop the mag...heaven forbid you drop a full mag and it lands right on that corner.  These things are super light though!  I dont have a scale, but the damn thing feels lighter than an aluminum mag!  I think itd be a much better seller if it just came with a one piece plastic floor plate and clipped in the same way it does now and none of that pull tab BS.  

All in all, only time will tell.  Im gonna load them up and go give them a function check and see how they work.  Im sure theyll run wonderfully.... I definitely love the fact they stack flat (Main thing I DONT like about P-mags).
Link Posted: 10/30/2011 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Alright.... so I loaded up all the battlemags today to take to the range and function check them and heres the results.  

They work... they work just how a mag is supposed to work.  No feed issues whatsoever and the bolt hold back worked as expected.  Now the two things I didn't like, they blow donkey dick to load if you're using a Maglula.  These things are so thin and lack the deformed body like a metal mag (which gives it more rigidity) that the maglula cant sit on them correctly and ends up cocked to the side... making it a real pain to cycle and drop the rounds in.  Also, this same thin-ness became real apparent when they were in the rifles they have a crap ton of side to side wiggle room (one was a CMMG lower and the other a Sun Devil billet) ...I was almost concerned they'd pop off the mag catch while firing but they didnt and they fed just dandy even with the wiggle.... they definitely drop free better than any mag I own though and that includes my magpuls!  Also, the anti-tilt follow doesnt have a magpul logo on it but it works just as well as one that does and Im pretty sure thats all that matters.

All in all... I think they are quality, well made mags that will serve their purpose and I cant see any way they'd fail their user however some of the features need a bit more refinement like a single piece floor plate and possibly a body thats a half a millimeter thicker (at least in the mag well area).  Take my opinion for what its worth... Im just a guy with a gun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:53:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Here are weights of various mags as weighed on my scale.  The Troy and the original Lancers are the lightest that I've seen.  Need to dig out an Orlite to weigh it.

Magpul Pmag- 30
5.15 ounces
Magpul Pmag- 20
GI mag- 30 round
Lancer L5 - 20 rd
Lancer L5 - 30 rd
Lancer L5AWM - 30 rd
Troy 30 rd mag
Fusil steel 30 rd mag
Tango Down ARC - 30 rd
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:31:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I haven't visited this thread in a while. Good to hear these are working!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top