Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/1/2011 4:16:36 PM EDT
Sorry, I know "poll" type posts are a bit goofy, but products change, I need to buy some mags for my new AR, and I'm not sure what to get. There are lots of opinions out there.

I'm looking for SHTF magazines that I can load and have ready for when the zombies attack... but a couple on the side for plinking won't hurt either.  Interested in hearing what everyone is recommending at this time.  In other words, if you had it to do all over again, what would YOU buy?

Here's the short list from the FAQ - make your pick:

• Surefire (probably off MY list because of price, but interested to see who's shooting them)

• H&K

• Magpul Pmag (do you go with window or without?)

• Troy Battle Magazine

• Lancer L5

• Brownells

• D&H

• C-products

• USGI (I know there are probably lots of contractors - please cite your source if this is your vote)

Also, if you could comment as to how many loaded magazines you keep at the ready, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTP/poll fail.

By far, my favorite mags are 20rd PMags & 30rd Maglevel (windowed) PMags. Not only as far as design, ergonomics, aesthetics, etc., but of what few different types of mags I've tried in my particular rifle, Magpul PMags are the only ones that have been completely reliable.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I've gone to all D&H for my stash mags. I like the black teflon finish better than the GI dry film and the ones from DSG have Magpul followers already installed. $85 for a ten pack and you can usually get free shipping if you buy a couple sets with codes they give out in the industry folder here. Every mag I own is loaded.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Also, if you could comment as to how many loaded magazines you keep at the ready, that would be appreciated.

Since most of what few mags I have are Magpul PMags, which due to the dust covers they have which take the pressure off of the feedlips when installed, these mags can be stored loaded indefinitely, there is no reason for me not to store all of them loaded, except for a couple to use for practicing with at home without live ammo, particularly for reloading drills and the like.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#4]
PMags are the gold standard imo.

I go with windowless, unless money is no object.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Lancer AWM's.  

Polymer construction, full wrap-around steel feedlips, best of both worlds.  Anti-tilt follower, and the entire mag body is translucent and textured.  

If you don't care about translucence then you can get opaque ones and save a couple bucks.

Also the L5A's are great mags too.  PMAGs are solid as well, but for the price of a maglevel windowed mag you can have a full translucent L5AWM.  

I would like to try some Troy mags but the Lancers are so good there's not much point IMO.

FWIW I keep a couple dozen lancers loaded up.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I use PMags, windowed and non-windowed, or USGI types, mostly Colt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
PMAGS

I keep 7 loaded with "the good stuff" which is enough to fully outfit myplate carrier.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#8]
D/H. I have lots for the range and keep 24 loaded for bug out with 75gr TAP. Never had problems.

I also own quite a few C-Products and PMAGS. C-Products have had some feeding issues as well as major shipping issues in the past. Primary reason I haven't bought any in years. Never had any issues with the PMAGS however I prefer alluminum.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#9]
What's a good internet source for PMags?
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#10]
i've been using USGI (brownells currently) mags for years, never had any problems.

recently starting using pmags with no issues either.

Quoted:

check out hamlund tactical in the EE.  i picked up some window pmags for $13.99 each.
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I usually buy my MAGPUL stuff straight from MAGPUL.  They have a store on their website

http://store.magpul.com/

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks very much for the quick replies gentlemen.  Much appreciated.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2011 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a mixture of 30 rd mags all for SHTF:

PMAG (both with and without window) - these are my go to mags always loaded ready to go, six on my mag chest rig, I keep a total of 21 loaded

D&H (mostly from DSG Arms, some from Bravo Co. and LaRue Tactical) - these are the majority of my mag stash all are unloaded in USGI storage  plastic mag bags

Colt/ Okay/ NHMTG - have some of these most are older from before or during the AWB ban, also my reserve mags

Lancer L5 - I prefer these for shooting range use, easy to check ammo loaded or not or how many rounds left inside the mag

H&K - don't use these, just for my collection

C Products SS - I use these mainly for plinking

I also have some 20 round mags for bench use, Lancer, PMAG, and Colt (they came with my new Colt ARs).

Link Posted: 12/2/2011 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I usually buy my MAGPUL stuff straight from MAGPUL.  They have a store on their website

Are you serious???  You actually WANT to pay MSRP ????
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a ton of USGI tan follower center ind mags, got em for $6 each so i stocked up
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
PMags are the gold standard imo.

I go with windowless, unless money is no object.

This.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay's and NHMTG USGI 30 rounders.
Colts and some others mixed in for variety.

I keep 12 loaded in a vest all the time, some others are in various states of range bag, range box, or truck cab/box, some loaded some not.

The rest are in the deep dark rubbermaid in the basement waiting for their brothers to break/fail.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've gone to all D&H for my stash mags. I like the black teflon finish better than the GI dry film and the ones from DSG have Magpul followers already installed. $85 for a ten pack and you can usually get free shipping if you buy a couple sets with codes they give out in the industry folder here. Every mag I own is loaded.

Link Posted: 12/3/2011 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Up until recently my "ready" mags were a mix of new D&H Teflon mags and Pmags.  Lately I started using Tango Down ARC mags, and I have to say I am impressed, enough to begin to transition those to my "first" line pouches.  Good enough for Pat Rogers, good enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I've got a mix of Magpul, Brownell's, some of the 3rd-gen USGI mags (maybe C products?) and some Tapco mags.  I've got about 10 stashed and only 8 loaded - half w/ M855 the other with M193.  all 30 rounders except 2 20-round Brownells for bench.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:58:51 PM EDT
[#21]
just plain'ol G.I. contact mags,nothing really highspeed... i proof all my mags at the range ...i wanted to go high speed mag-pull ,but decided to stick with G.I. mags....vince g. 11B Inf...
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
  • Lancer L5 and AWM

• Brownells

• D&H

• C-products

• USGI

•  

These have my vote.  They work, are not overly expensive, and work in multiple calibers and different bullet types.  None of the above have failed me.
    Why the following do not make the cut for me.
    Surefire, too many bad reviews and too expensive.  If not for the bad reviews I could over look the expense, but unreliable puts them out of the running IMO.
    HK.  I've had no trouble with mine but too many people have.  And also, too damned expensive and no replacement parts.
    TROY.  They bring nothing to the party as far as I am concerned.
    P-Mags.  Ditto TROY.  I use my mags in several different calibers with a lot of different style bullets.  The P-Mags do not work in some of my calibers and with some of the bullets I use, so as far as I am concerned P-Mags are much ado about nothing.

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 4:32:08 PM EDT
    [#23]
    Pmag with window.
    New GI Tan Follower mags.
    Zero jams or feed issues now on my AR's

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 1:07:36 PM EDT
    [#24]
    I've got a mixture of all sorts, somewhere just shy of 50 total.  I can say that I will be buying nothing but magpul from here out though.
    Link Posted: 12/5/2011 5:47:44 PM EDT
    [#25]
    Quoted:
    Sorry, I know "poll" type posts are a bit goofy, but products change, I need to buy some mags for my new AR, and I'm not sure what to get. There are lots of opinions out there.

I'm looking for SHTF magazines that I can load and have ready for when the zombies attack... but a couple on the side for plinking won't hurt either.  Interested in hearing what everyone is recommending at this time.  In other words, if you had it to do all over again, what would YOU buy?

Here's the short list from the FAQ - make your pick:
    • Surefire (probably off MY list because of price, but interested to see who's shooting them)
    • H&K
    • Magpul Pmag (do you go with window or without?)
    • Troy Battle Magazine
    • Lancer L5
    • Brownells
    • D&H
    • C-products
    • USGI (I know there are probably lots of contractors - please cite your source if this is your vote)

Thanks in advance for your input!

the two that I currently buy
    D&H 10pk w/magpul followers $85 black teflon FTW  from DSG
    Pmags
    Link Posted: 12/5/2011 6:11:17 PM EDT
    [#26]
    Quoted:

Quoted:
    Quoted:

Are you serious???  You actually WANT to pay MSRP ????

Most places online charge around the same price at least close enough that I don't sweat it when I'm only buying two or so.  I just found out the PX sales them for 14.50 a pop and there's no shipping or tax so the last couple I bought there.

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 11:18:05 PM EDT
    [#27]
    Cheaper than dirt has the best prices I have found.
    Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:20:30 PM EDT
    [#28]
    My favorites are the Tango Down ARC mags and the new Lancer AWM... Botach has a great deal on the Lancer mags
    Link Posted: 12/6/2011 8:59:11 PM EDT
    [#29]
    C-Mags and GI
    I have some P-mags but I hate that 2 mag in a 3 mag pouch look:)
    It's like pleated chinos on a fat man
    Link Posted: 12/7/2011 12:29:59 PM EDT
    [#30]
    All I've used in my Bushmaster has been Pmags and Bushmaster brand. I've never had a malfunction of any kind. Thinking about trying one of the Lancer mags though.
    Link Posted: 12/7/2011 1:05:04 PM EDT
    [#31]
    Brownells.  

And if you live in a city / urban area and are planning to bug out from there, then a surefire 60 rounder IN the weapon at time of bug out (make sure it works with your gun / ammo combo first) for fighting your way out.
    Link Posted: 12/8/2011 9:19:24 AM EDT
    [#32]
    Appreciate all the feedback, fellas.  There were so many votes for Pmags that I went that route.  Have 8 inbound, along with a MOE guard and MVG grip.

Thanks!
    Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:32:32 PM EDT
    [#33]
    In my personal experience and from what I have read from others, PMAGs are the mag that all others are judged by. I prefer the windowless mags but it may be worth the extra few dollars a pop for you. Also you cant go wrong with USGI mags, and for just range use I have been buying the thermold 20 round mags for $4 a mag. They dont always lock the bolt back when empty but for the money they are a decent mag.
    Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:40:25 PM EDT
    [#34]
    ill still vote lancer because they have been nothing but reliable for me.  but since this is ARFCOM, if it isnt an AR15/glock/pmag, u must GTFO.  
    Link Posted: 12/8/2011 3:58:43 PM EDT
    [#35]
    I have Pmags with windows, and I have absolutely ZERO issues.

I can get them shipped to my door for $17 each from aimsurplus.com. I've ordered from them a couple times with no problems.
    Link Posted: 12/10/2011 10:39:21 AM EDT
    [#36]
    I mainly use PMAGs now but have about 30 HK Mags laying around and quite a bit of USGI Mags with magpul followers.  I have never had an issue with any of them but I prefer the PMAG's.  For my 6.8 I have PRI/C Product mags and I've never had an issue with those either.  These days I just buy PMAG's everytime I get the opportunity to go to a PX somewhere as the pricing is tax free and cheap.
    Link Posted: 12/10/2011 11:27:25 AM EDT
    [#37]
    Windowed 30 round PMAGS. I replaced my springs with chrome silicon springs. Not a single problem with them. I had the troy mags and I didn't like them. Didn't like the texturing, didn't like how there was some slight tilt, and how the base plate came apart.Also the tab you can add onto them is made of some kind of rubber material that I was able to jam up into the mag and mess it up. It lended itself to being able to break over time. I gave them to my dad and he likes them.
    Link Posted: 12/10/2011 12:02:31 PM EDT
    [#38]
    I have nothing but C Products SS 30 round mags with ethe CS sping. I keep half of them loaded and the other half is ready for stripper clipped ammo at a moments notice. Never have had a problem with any of my C Products 30 rounds stainless mags. Zero spring problems after a couple years being fully loaded to 30 rounds.
    I tried the various alum mags and just didn't like how they got all dented up and all.
    Just can't get myself to trust plastic mags... guess I am just old fashioned. I feel the Pmags and Lancer mags are over priced for what you get.
    Personally I can't wait for the new C Products to get going with mfg next year so I can get some more stainless steel mags.
    Link Posted: 12/10/2011 1:13:46 PM EDT
    [#39]
    Link Posted: 12/10/2011 1:15:58 PM EDT
    [#40]
    Quoted:
    I have nothing but C Products SS 30 round mags with ethe CS sping. I keep half of them loaded and the other half is ready for stripper clipped ammo at a moments notice. Never have had a problem with any of my C Products 30 rounds stainless mags. Zero spring problems after a couple years being fully loaded to 30 rounds.
    I tried the various alum mags and just didn't like how they got all dented up and all.
    Just can't get myself to trust plastic mags... guess I am just old fashioned. I feel the Pmags and Lancer mags are over priced for what you get.
    Personally I can't wait for the new C Products to get going with mfg next year so I can get some more stainless steel mags.

Yea but dont SS mags take a special follower? Would suck if you needed replacement followers and couldnt get them.
    Link Posted: 12/10/2011 2:25:23 PM EDT
    [#41]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

Yea but dont SS mags take a special follower? Would suck if you needed replacement followers and couldnt get them.

When was the last time anyone needed to replace a magpul follower? Or even the newer Magpul look alike that C Products started to use?
    hmmmmm I have never heard of anyone.
    Besides, I know that mags are supposed to be disposable. If one craps out on me, I have more then a few standing by to take it's place.besides, I can buy 3 stainless mags to 2 Pmags. hmmm pay the price of 2 Pmags and get 3 great stainless mags for the same price...makes more sense to me. Still ahead of the game. You go buy your 2 Pmags and have 1 follower crap out on you and all you have is 1 working mag. I'll have 2.

Don't Pmags take special followers too?? not to mention base plates??

Link Posted: 12/10/2011 3:37:35 PM EDT
    [#42]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:

When was the last time anyone needed to replace a magpul follower? Or even the newer Magpul look alike that C Products started to use?
    hmmmmm I have never heard of anyone.
    Besides, I know that mags are supposed to be disposable. If one craps out on me, I have more then a few standing by to take it's place.besides, I can buy 3 stainless mags to 2 Pmags. hmmm pay the price of 2 Pmags and get 3 great stainless mags for the same price...makes more sense to me. Still ahead of the game. You go buy your 2 Pmags and have 1 follower crap out on you and all you have is 1 working mag. I'll have 2.

Don't Pmags take special followers too?? not to mention base plates??

Im not the Pmag fanboy you're acting like I am. I like D&H mags for pretty much the same reasons you listed above.  But a couple years back there was a thread where a guy had bought a few CProd mags and they came new to him with broken/cracked followers.
    Link Posted: 12/10/2011 4:03:28 PM EDT
    [#43]

Quoted:

This.

DSG's D&H in teflon with magpul follower.  Nothing is ever going to get any more reliable.  Cheap too.  They pull easily from any belt holster, or when doublestacked in a chest rig.  I have 80 of these that I rotate though and they never fail, they also are easy to seat on a closed bolt with 30 in the mag.  I just dont need anything better, in a 30 round capacity.
    Link Posted: 12/11/2011 7:18:19 AM EDT
    [#44]
    I buy whatever is on sale. I have several windowed and no window pmags in 20 and 30 rd, and a few stacks of okay's, center's, colt's, and c-products. I like my SS c product 20's most of all.
    Link Posted: 12/11/2011 10:35:02 AM EDT
    [#45]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Windowed 30 round PMAGS. I replaced my springs with chrome silicon springs. Not a single problem with them. I had the troy mags and I didn't like them. Didn't like the texturing, didn't like how there was some slight tilt, and how the base plate came apart.Also the tab you can add onto them is made of some kind of rubber material that I was able to jam up into the mag and mess it up. It lended itself to being able to break over time. I gave them to my dad and he likes them.

Interesting.  Any reason why?

More spring tension. Here's a snip of the advantages of them:

"The Tubb Precision CS AR-15 Magazine Spring provides positive pre-load against the follower. As with our other CS springs, it has enhanced mechanical properties which produce faster rebound. Consistent, constant tension is the key. Plus, there is less drag against the side walls for freer movement. These attributes are of utmost importance to the High Power competitor who is frequently relying on bolt stop engagement on an empty magazine and also positive feeding from "underloaded" magazines.

The Tubb Precision CS magazine spring is also angled correctly to locate the follower in its optimum orientation. This design modification alone fixes a majority of feeding problems. Another advantage of this spring is faster, more positive bolt stop engagement, saving wear on the part and also ensuring its correct function."

Not suggesting I've ever had a problem with my pmags but I go for speed in regards to how my rifle performs. Imagine competition performance out of a combat style weapon and you'll start to get an idea of how my rifle runs with little things like this done to it.
    Link Posted: 12/11/2011 1:47:23 PM EDT
    [#46]
    USGI.

Good enough for our troops, good enough for me.

Craig
    Link Posted: 12/12/2011 7:54:30 AM EDT
    [#47]
    Quoted:
    USGI.

Craig

You'd be surprised at how many folks buy their own PMAGS and use them instead of the issued ones.  My issued mags sit in the bottom of a cruise box till I have to turn them in.
    Link Posted: 12/12/2011 9:58:07 AM EDT
    [#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

USGI.

Craig
    You'd be surprised at how many folks buy their own PMAGS and use them instead of the issued ones. My issued mags sit in the bottom of a cruise box till I have to turn them in.

I'm not surprised at all.  When it came to standard military issue clothing for example, I never liked the undershirts, socks, gloves, or shoes.  But the ECWS thermals stuff was kickass.

Its fine if your USGI issue mags are sitting there doing nothing, an you're using PMags.  But what's even better is if your whole troop there keeps reminding your CO's that you're doign this.  Eventually, if enough CO's start hearing this, it'll filter to the upper ranks and maybe someboyd will do something about it.

I can't blame you.  Its your lives at stake here.  I'd do the same thing.  But somebody up there deserves an earful about what the troops really want or need.  If you stay silent, nothing is going to change.

And look at it this way, you already ARE NEVER PAID ENOUGH to begin with to start havign to buy yoru own PMags.  Even if your PMags were donated, your family and friends will never be compensated enough for your sacrifice of Duty, Honor, Country.  Your kids won't.  Back when I was in the service, it felt like I was paid peanuts, but I viewed it like it was my "tuition" that made me better than who I was and who I am today.  

Anyway, off my soap box.  Let yoru CO's know, matter-of-factly or smartly.  The more CO's hear about the PMag, the more it'll rip thru the rank and file, and eventually someone will make it standard issue.  With all the taxpayer money me and a gazillion other Americans are doling to the Govt, you shouldn't have to be buying yoru own PMags.

Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:04:48 AM EDT
    [#49]
    Lancer, P-Mags, USGI new, Brownells, they are all good to go.

The only ones I have had issues with are Orlites and used USGI.

I would go with P-Mags now that they are under $20 each.

And what are people's opinions on the Canadian alternative? CDNN has been selling them under $10 each.
    Link Posted: 12/13/2011 4:58:14 AM EDT
    [#50]
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    Quoted:
    USGI.
    Craig
    You'd be surprised at how many folks buy their own PMAGS and use them instead of the issued ones. My issued mags sit in the bottom of a cruise box till I have to turn them in.

I'm not surprised at all.  When it came to standard military issue clothing for example, I never liked the undershirts, socks, gloves, or shoes.  But the ECWS thermals stuff was kickass.

Its fine if your USGI issue mags are sitting there doing nothing, an you're using PMags.  But what's even better is if your whole troop there keeps reminding your CO's that you're doign this.  Eventually, if enough CO's start hearing this, it'll filter to the upper ranks and maybe someboyd will do something about it.

I can't blame you.  Its your lives at stake here.  I'd do the same thing.  But somebody up there deserves an earful about what the troops really want or need.  If you stay silent, nothing is going to change.

And look at it this way, you already ARE NEVER PAID ENOUGH to begin with to start havign to buy yoru own PMags.  Even if your PMags were donated, your family and friends will never be compensated enough for your sacrifice of Duty, Honor, Country.  Your kids won't.  Back when I was in the service, it felt like I was paid peanuts, but I viewed it like it was my "tuition" that made me better than who I was and who I am today.  

Anyway, off my soap box.  Let yoru CO's know, matter-of-factly or smartly.  The more CO's hear about the PMag, the more it'll rip thru the rank and file, and eventually someone will make it standard issue.  With all the taxpayer money me and a gazillion other Americans are doling to the Govt, you shouldn't have to be buying yoru own PMags.

The problem is I'm in the Air Wing and no one above me is going to care about that stuff lol

Arrow Left Previous Page
    Page / 2
    Page AR-15 » Magazines
    AR Sponsor: bravocompany
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top