Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2011 4:17:28 AM EDT
Who all makes clamp on A2 sights? I know Armalite makes one but they are out of stock.

Hopefully looking to find something F style.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
check out midway or sportsmans guide. they have a wide variety to choose from.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 5:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm using one I got from DPMS.  Works great.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5184

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 5:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a used Armalite clamp on style FSB that was just listed in the EE in the "AR15 Parts - Used - Misc" section (not mine). Or if you have an old standard FSB make one yourself by tapping a couple of the existing holes the one you have....<><....:)
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 8:34:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm using one I got from DPMS.  Works great.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5184

Does that just clamp/screw to the side of the barrel? My barrel has no pin grove as it never has a A2 sight, only a clamp on low profile block.

Hell looking at that DPMS one, and getting the suggestion about tapping some holes makes me think I could make one out of an old used A2 right pretty easy. The hard parts going to be finding a tap that small locally. I just called my local gunshop and asked them how much to tap a couple holes, they said $25 a hole LOL!
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
check out midway or sportsmans guide. they have a wide variety to choose from.

All I saw was ONE stainless one on Midway.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Question about that CMMG sight. Do you know if the screws go all the way across or does it use 4 small set screws? I ask because my barrel has never had an A2 on it so there are no sight grooves cut in the barrel where the pins would be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]

This is what I just mounted on my Spikes ST-22 11.5 upper, uses 4 set screws.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
How much do you want to spend?  The nicest one out there is the JP Enterprises clamp-on front sight, but it's kind pricey.

JP A2 sight

As mentioned, Armalite makes one, but they seem to be out of stock more often than not.

I went a different route with my 3-gun rifle, as I wanted to be able to switch back and forth between Limited and Tac Optics division, so I bought a YHM clamp-on gas block and removeable A2 sight.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The one that came on my white oak is windage adjustable if that matters to you. Might want to check that out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 12:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

So it works even if the barrel doesn't have the pin grooves?
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I called CMMG and they filled me in on what I needed to know. I ended up ordering the CMMG unit. Sounds like it will work just fine!

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it works even if the barrel doesn't have the pin grooves?

No pin grooves on mine, works just fine. Glad to have helped. Should work well for you.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking for the same thing, collecting parts for my first build in a number of years.  What I've gathered from my research is the type of front sight which uses four set screws requires flats to be milled in the barrel for the screws to bear against to be totally effective.  The Armalite type is actually split and the two screws clear the barrel, clamping the sight in place - theoretically a much tighter fit.  Do I have this correct?

Thanks,
Craig
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm looking for the same thing, collecting parts for my first build in a number of years.  What I've gathered from my research is the type of front sight which uses four set screws requires flats to be milled in the barrel for the screws to bear against to be totally effective.  The Armalite type is actually split and the two screws clear the barrel, clamping the sight in place - theoretically a much tighter fit.  Do I have this correct?

Thanks,
Craig

Yes, that's the way I understand it.  I'm not sure if the 4-screw type sights would even be useable without milling the flats in the sides of the barrel (not the standard set screw type gas block with set screws in on the bottom).  The clamp-type models from Armalite and JP are very strong and solid, and they are not set screws.  They are allen head bolts that thread into the block itself.

Link Posted: 1/4/2011 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont see why flat spots would bee needed. If you tighten the screws down they will bite and they are not going anywhere if they got a little blue loc-tite on them.

Machining flat spots would cost more and be more work then just having a normal A2 sight and barrel drilled. Installing an A2 sight is actually pretty simple if you have the tools. You need a drill press and a sight/barrel block. Line is all up, drill the holes and tap the pins in place. Hell, I have a drill press, what I don't have is the slight and barrel alignment block though or I would have gone that route. I couldn't justify the tool for doing it one time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#17]
My CMMG bolt on A2 F Marked front sight is out for delievery now with UPS. I'll let you guys know how it works but considering the fact the front sight will JUST fit on the barrel with like no play,I would think that flats for the set screws would NOT be needed.

I think four screws with blue Loc-Tite torqued down would be plenty, especially on a .22LR AR build. I would have preferred a clamp on sight but I wanted a bayonet lug, even though I'm sure I'll never use it LOL! I do have a M4 bayonet though.

I'm actually surprised the Armalite didn't have the lug though.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top