Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2012 7:43:55 PM EDT
I have a colt 6920 that I am going to mount a EOTech sight onto. Can You mount the EOtech on the rail on the AR or do you have a Qr mount you put on to give the EO tech more hight. If you mount the EO Tech on the rail only do you have ant problems seeing over the front sight. Thank you for any help.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
You can mount the EoTech right to the rail with the integral mount on the sight itself. If you do this you will have an "absolute co-witness" meaning the dot on the sight will rest ontop of the front sight post, when sighting though the optic.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Mounted directly on the rail will give you a co-witness, dot on the top of the front post.

If you want the dot above the front post, then you want a 1/3 co-witness and need to use a spacer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 8:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Mounted directly on the rail will give you a co-witness, dot on the top of the front post.

If you want the dot above the front post, then you want a 1/3 co-witness and need to use a spacer.

Some eotechs, like the 553 and exps, have a built in spacer. You should read up on what a cowitness is, it's been my experience that a lot of people aren't sure what it means. Basically, a standard height eotech reticle will rest exactly on top of your front sight post when properly sighted in. A raised eotech, whether it is by spacer or just a taller model like mentioned above, will have the reticle on top of the front sight post when viewed through the top of the lower 1/3 section of the eotech window
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:10:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:41:46 AM EDT
[#5]
It depends on what model you have and what sight picture you prefer. 516,517 and 553's all sit 7mm higher above the front sight post. odd thing is, if looking down the sights, the reticle will still appear directly on top of the front sight post...but the reticle appears dimmer.

Here are a couple pics I took of my 516's sight picture...not the greatest, but you can see what I'm referring to.

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 6:26:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some eotechs, like the 553 and exps, have a built in spacer. You should read up on what a cowitness is, it's been my experience that a lot of people aren't sure what it means. Basically, a standard height eotech reticle will rest exactly on top of your front sight post when properly sighted in. A raised eotech, whether it is by spacer or just a taller model like mentioned above, will have the reticle on top of the front sight post when viewed through the top of the lower 1/3 section of the eotech window

Yep, look at the pics below. Notice the first one.

When not looking through the irons, the dot is above the front post, not on it.

Just a different way of saying it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top