Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/31/2012 11:18:52 PM EDT
Need a mount for the Aimpoint CompC I traded for but would like to get some opinions on cowitness first. Both seem to have perks but Im still undecided as to which would work best for me. I like the idea of having the dot right at the top of the front sight post but also would like to have less of the FSB in my view.

As far as the mount goes something small and light weight would be ideal. QD would be a big plus too. Under $100 would be awesome.

Wacha think?
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 5:27:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Gonna be tough to find anything quality w/quick disconnect under 100, check the EE in the used section possibly.

American Defense makes our work mounts, they have good customer service.  One of our knuckleheads overtorqued a bolt and stripped the hole.  They're setting us up with a new clamp section free of charge.  It's our fault, too.  No doubt about it.  The mounts are about $160 new.  Lower 1/3 cowitness.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#2]
spend the extra $60 and get a larue or borbo
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#3]
With lower 1/3 your dot will be lined up at the front post if your head position is lined up with the irons, or you can lift your head to look over the irons (through the center of the housing and the dot will raise too.  

So there isnt much of a compromise, just preference.  You dont loose the iron sight to dot lineup with either mount height because the dot is at 'infinity' and moves in the tube as your head position changes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]
are you running a fixed or folding rear sight?

It's nice with a fixed rear to have the lower 1/3 so that the rear sight isn't always in your field of view but if you need it you can move down to it.
If you are using folders then IMO it doesn't really matter. Preference really. If you go lower 1/3 your head will need to raise just a bit to see the dot completely in the center above the irons so cheek weld should be taken into consideration but it's not that big of a deal. you will have a solid cheek weld either way. Preference.

I have an absolute with A2 FSB and a rear folding buis and i don't really notice the FSB it just kind of isn't an issue

hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got into the world of cowitnessing and I'm really happy with lower 1/3 cowitness.  It's very versatile.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just got into the world of cowitnessing and I'm really happy with lower 1/3 cowitness.  It's very versatile.

This is truth, I really like my Primary Arms Micro on the ADM. One thing, though, if you have issues with how your cheek weld "needs to feel" or something, you may not like how lower 3rd forces you to lift your head slightly.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top