Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/4/2012 2:11:04 PM EDT
I finally bought an AR-15 after years of telling myself I didnt need one. It is a Flat top. I live in the Southeast and I bought it to hunt, coyotes, hogs, maybe deer every now and then. There are so many different varieties of optics out there and I want you to help me narrow it down. Ill be shooting anywhere from 20 yards out to probably no more than 250...and that will not be often. I see guys running eotechs with different brand 3X magnifiers and some guys running 1-4X's. For what I am going to be doing, what would you recommend? Keep in mind, I do not want to spend a bunch of money, but I for sure will not buy something that is cheap quality. Thanks for you help!
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I use my AR for hunting all the time. The Eotech with 3x FTS was to heavy and bulky. Went to a 1-4 and that was much better, but at times I wanted more scope. Ended up with a 3x9, and for me, works perfect for hunting with AR. Check out the Leupold VX-R line, or the Bushnell Elite. I have both and both are nice glass for the money.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 3:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
do you have any pics you can send me? I was afraid to put a standard 3-9 because of how large it is. I figured I mine as well just shoot my hunting rifles instead if I were to do that
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I use my AR for hunting all the time. The Eotech with 3x FTS was to heavy and bulky. Went to a 1-4 and that was much better, but at times I wanted more scope. Ended up with a 3x9, and for me, works perfect for hunting with AR. Check out the Leupold VX-R line, or the Bushnell Elite. I have both and both are nice glass for the money.

+1 for the Leupold VX-R. I have the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4X20 and it suits my use of both close to medium range shooting perfectly. The glass is crystal clear and the red dot in the center of the reticle is a huge plus when shooting short distance.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 for the Leupold VX-R. I have the VX-R Patrol 1.25-4X20 and it suits my use of both close to medium range shooting perfectly. The glass is crystal clear and the red dot in the center of the reticle is a huge plus when shooting short distance.

Is 4X good enough for shooting a deer or coyote at 200 yards? It seems like they would look like ants at that distance. I know I'm asking alot but I want to be able to have the ability to shoot decently long distances at a possibly moving target.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Some people are saying they can shoot 300+ yards with the Leupold 1-4 with no problems...if this is true then thi scope may be the way to go..but does anyone have any experience with leupold's VXR 2-7??
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]
A 1.5-6 or 2-7 would be about perfect.  I'll shoot 2" groups at 200y with a good glass on a 4x scope, so Id hope you could take a deer with one.   The Leupold 2-7 would be a good fit (compact size and lightweight).  The only issue with a 4x is identifying a smaller animal at 250y when partially or mostly obscured (which is why Id recommend a 6 or 7 power on the high end.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A 1.5-6 or 2-7 would be about perfect.  I'll shoot 2" groups at 200y with a good glass on a 4x scope, so Id hope you could take a deer with one.   The Leupold 2-7 would be a good fit (compact size and lightweight).  The only issue with a 4x is identifying a smaller animal at 250y when partially or mostly obscured (which is why Id recommend a 6 or 7 power on the high end.

The 2-7 is 2" longer than the 1-4..thats a big difference in size.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Not knowing what kind of terrain or brush you normally hunt in, I see 5 choices. A 1-5x20, 2-7x32, 3-9x40(50), 3-12x40(50), or a 4-16x40(50).
All these can be found in Leupold's in various models, according to what price you want to pay in quality. Or, you can find a selection or two from a Retailer here and there, like Redfield Revolution(made by Leupold), Burris FullfieldII, Nikon Prostaff or Buckmaster, Bushnell Elite, Vortex, Weaver Classic or 44/40, Sightron 1,II or III, or Mueller which has scopes with Illuminated dots in the crosshairs. Also some of these scopes will come with BDC if you want that option.
 For real cheap I've seen Center Point Adventure(4-16x40A/O) on lots of hunting/target rifles that have held up surprisingly well, over the years. While they may be super cheap($70), they do have OK glass. The "newer" Simmons 44MAG(3-12x44 SF) has really good glass, robust, good repeatable POI, while being $125 or less. Good luck in search and if you need help, just ask.
Del
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not knowing what kind of terrain or brush you normally hunt in, I see 5 choices. A 1-5x20, 2-7x32, 3-9x40(50), 3-12x40(50), or a 4-16x40(50).
All these can be found in Leupold's in various models, according to what price you want to pay in quality. Or, you can find a selection or two from a Retailer here and there, like Redfield Revolution(made by Leupold), Burris FullfieldII, Nikon Prostaff or Buckmaster, Bushnell Elite, Vortex, Weaver Classic or 44/40, Sightron 1,II or III, or Mueller which has scopes with Illuminated dots in the crosshairs. Also some of these scopes will come with BDC if you want that option.
 For real cheap I've seen Center Point Adventure(4-16x40A/O) on lots of hunting/target rifles that have held up surprisingly well, over the years. While they may be super cheap($70), they do have OK glass. The "newer" Simmons 44MAG(3-12x44 SF) has really good glass, robust, good repeatable POI, while being $125 or less. Good luck in search and if you need help, just ask.
Del

I shoot mostly in pastures and fields. My biggest thing is just wanting to be able to clearly see my target at a few hundred yards..but at the same time I dont want a big and bulky scope on my ar...id like to keep it as compact as possible. I just struggle to imagine being able to shoot a coyote or hog on the run at 300+ yards or put a good clean shot on a deer at that distance with a 4X scope.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Burris timberline 3-9 is nice n compact. I'm looking at getting one for my 6.8 deer rifle
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 5:49:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Nikon 2-8x32 M223 would be ideal for 50-200 yds on coyote to deer-sized game.  A 4x minimum is overkill at 50yds with deer-sized game. 2x or 3x is more managable, and 8x will let you work out to 300-400 yards.  If you're dealing with a moving target, dial down the magnification to provide a wider field of view.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:02:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I recommend these because they aren't too heavy, have good eye relief and a forgiving eye box, and incredible glass.

I'd with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for something inexpensive ($350 from SWFA).

I'd go with a Zeiss Conquest Duralyt 1.2-5x36 ($950 non-illuminated, $1250 illuminated) for tactical. The 5x with the 36 objective is awesome at 200 yards.

I'd go with a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 or x50 if you want to go higher ($600-700) than the 3-9x40.

If you want one scope, get the Zeiss Victory 2.5-10x44 or x50. With mine, I can see 223 holes at 200 yards on paper.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I got a 4x acog and find it's good out to 250-300 yards it depends on how much money you want to spend you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Leupold VX R 1.25x4x20mm

pic with it mounted

one of your earlier comment was asking if you could hit a target at 300 yds well yes you can if I can make hits on a pumkin at 250 yds with an eotech im sure a 4x leupold can hit a target at 500yds
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 12:32:29 PM EDT
[#15]
what kind of mount(s) are people recommending these days? Somebody recommended the Burris PEPR cantilever scope mount but they are $75...Im sure they are solid but I didnt really want to spend that much.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
what kind of mount(s) are people recommending these days? Somebody recommended the Burris PEPR cantilever scope mount but they are $75...Im sure they are solid but I didnt really want to spend that much.

You don't want my answer then -- Larue LT104.

If you don't need quick release and the scope fits, regular old rings should work.

Don't skimp on the mount.

I don't care for the PEPR -- mine stripped its threads when I used a torque wrench on it to the normal recommended torque for a mount.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nikon 2-8x32 M223 would be ideal for 50-200 yds on coyote to deer-sized game.  A 4x minimum is overkill at 50yds with deer-sized game. 2x or 3x is more managable, and 8x will let you work out to 300-400 yards.  If you're dealing with a moving target, dial down the magnification to provide a wider field of view.

I went with the Nikon 2-8x M223 in the Nikon M223XR mount.  Yes, it's bigger than a 1-4x, but it's smaller than a 3-9x.  It seemed like the perfect compromise for the AR for hunting, and to my eye, doesn't look too big on a 16" bbl AR.  I also have a Burris 2-7x (same concept of an in-between size and magnification range) I bought on sale (scuffed up box, but full factory warrantee) for future AR use and a Nikon M223XR mount for it.  The Nikon 2-8x has worked out perfectly so far...got 3 deer this season.  Farthest deer kill was 187 yards.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Make sure you get a good mount. Laurie, ADM, Bobro to name a couple. Buy once cry once. In my opinion a good mount
Is more important than a good scope
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I am looking for something along the same scope choice - I actually started the thread on the Trijicon Accupoint

I am slowly narrowing it down based on all these great recomendations..

Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40 from midwayusa (exclusive) $299  wt. 16.6oz  length 11.9"  
Leopold Tactical VX-R Patrol 3-9 x 40 $599                                               wt 15.3oz  length 12.6"

and the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9 x 40 for $725                                                 wt 12.8oz length 12.2"

Not sure if I should consider the accupoint with the other two because of the lack of tactical turrets but I like the fact of the illumination

although the value / price point of the Weaver makes it a great value
I dont hunt much but dont want buyers reget either on a purchase, its one of those things buy once cry once ..but if the Weaver will get me the same results for far less then cool

Does Weaver make this scope with illumination if so then thats my scope because the Weaver definetly gets great reviews
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I shoot mostly in pastures and fields. My biggest thing is just wanting to be able to clearly see my target at a few hundred yards..but at the same time I dont want a big and bulky scope on my ar...id like to keep it as compact as possible. I just struggle to imagine being able to shoot a coyote or hog on the run at 300+ yards or put a good clean shot on a deer at that distance with a 4X scope.[/quote]

Sometimes you need to overlook form and go with function. All but one of my rifles are used exclusively for hunting. I do like looks, but I must go for the kill attitude first, because that's what I want my rifle to do for me.
I think a 3-9x40 would be your best bet, and not be over powering to rifle size.. I know there's lots of very nice looking, compact/slender scopes out there, but here in Missouri, we have that wonderful thing--NOT--of the 4 point rule. A legal Buck must have 4 points(tines) on one antler before killing it. So you first need to see that Buck and count tines, and try to do this all under pressure, sometimes in what seems like Miliseconds. Not only this, but with a 3 power, a deer/hog can get within 10yds without a person knowing it, and with a good scope will still be very clear without overpowering the animal's size in scope, while with 9 power, you can feasibly see and make out an animal very well at 300yds. With good glass and 40mm Objective, it will bring in better light sources, that a smaller Objective scope has harder ability to do, and it lets you have larger "Field of View" that a small Objective just won't have. I use the 3 power when I hunt, but to see if that deer is a Buck or Doe, I crank it up to 9 power real quick, then it goes back down to 3 power. Reason being, is to see where/if animal runs and I need to trail it. If animal is 100yds and over, I keep it on 9 power to give better shot placement, and at that distance, a Field of View is enough, that I know if animal dropped in it's tracks or it up and bolted and which direction.
 I own Nikon Buckmaster, Burris FullfieldII, Weaver Classic, Redfield Revolution, and these are all very good/superb glass, and will give many years of hunting pleasure, but their best quality is being able to let me see in darker hours where many animals like to move around in. Also, with a very good quality scope, you know your POI won't change round after round, due to better interior build parts, where all the problems arise from.. I do have cheaper scopes, but those are all on 17HMR or 22caliber rifles.
Also, like others have mentioned, good scope mounts are a must on any gun. I use Weaver Steel "Grand Slams" and Weaver "Quad Lokt" Rings on all my hunting rifles, but there's lots of good choices out there to choose from.
I will say however, my AR has a Bushnell TRS-32 Red Dot on it, but I use it as a Varmint/Pest rifle, and don't use it to bring home meat for table.
Del

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top