Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2012 9:35:32 PM EDT
Looking at 2 relatively inexpensive quick disconnect scope mounts for my new Leupold Mark AR for my Sig 556.

I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Burris P.E.P.R and the Warne R.A.M.P.

I have a Fastfire and a 45* mount already, but its a cheap mount.

P.E.P.R

Cheaper of the two. 6 screws per mount.
Has the silly short rail sections on top, not a fan, would rather use the 45* mount.
I would buy the model with the throw levers.

R.A.M.P

Cleaner looking design, less snags. Has integral 45* mounts already
4 screws per mount, even though thats not really a big deal. Cost $50 more than PEPR. Has no true quick disco levers, just the 1/2" nuts.

As much as I would love a Larue, I can not drop $210+ on a mount. I will be ordering from Midway USA when my birthday discount comes this month. I MAY be able to swing an American Defense Recon mount at the time, but I don't know yet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish you hadn't went south for the winter!

I have a brand new PEPR QD that I was going to throw on one I was building for my kid, but I put the scope on my 17 HMR, and put a Aimpoint PRO on the AR.

Never used, and I think I am going to put it on the EE
Link Posted: 12/13/2012 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 2:04:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The P.E.P.R. comes with rounded tops too.

For some reason nobody tells you that.

Yep, just put one on a dedicated .22. like the post above I favour a @45 degree offset for a MRDS. However, at work I am forced to use one atop an ACOG, which is admittedley very quick for close in, heads up snap shooting. So at the moment, in the spirit of Arfcom I have both on the one gun. One will come off after I have determined which I prefer..

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the RAMP, and love it.  It is a bit more that the PEPR, but then again, it is a lot nicer quality of a mount.  It's solid, and never had a problem out of it.  Hope this helps, L2
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the price difference between the RAMP and a comparable Larue mount without the levers is pretty negligible.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think the price difference between the RAMP and a comparable Larue mount without the levers is pretty negligible.

I think Wirebrush brings up a pretty good point.  I do own LT mounts, and they are great.  The cost of a RAMP is 130, the cost of an LT with the VFZ attachments, is 160.  You won't go wrong either way.  L2

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 8:15:52 AM EDT
[#7]
At this point I'm pretty sure I'm between a PEPR and an American Defense Recon mount with throw levers. At only $10 more than the Warne on midway..

Remember, I said I'm buying from midway to use my birthday discount so Larue is out.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I own ADM as well.  They are good mounts, very solid!  Good people to deal with as well.  L2
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
At this point I'm pretty sure I'm between a PEPR and an American Defense Recon mount with throw levers. At only $10 more than the Warne on midway..

Remember, I said I'm buying from midway to use my birthday discount so Larue is out.

but your missing out on dillo dust best part of buying from larue free swag
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the Burris, holds zero great. I have removed several times and always held zero. Fit and finish is great.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

but your missing out on dillo dust best part of buying from larue free swag

Well after the $1700 christmas bonus I just got today... I may just give them some business..
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The P.E.P.R. comes with rounded tops too.

For some reason nobody tells you that.

This is true and should probably lead you to the Burris mount.  I have one of their QDs on an AR an it's been totally satisfactory.  I have Warne rings and bases on a couple of rifles and they are excellent, but the price difference in your case isn't justified.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I woul go with American Defense. Burris is made
In china
Link Posted: 12/17/2012 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I woul go with American Defense. Burris is made
In china

+1. I always try to support my state companies and if nothing else at least something that was made in USA.

OP. I usually over-research a product to the point where I have no idea what I want because I have at least 10 choices... I hate buying cheap crap that does not work the way it is intended so I force myself to spend more moeny and go for quality. The saying "Cry once, buy once" is something I have learned to appreciate.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top