Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2015 4:36:00 PM EDT
Forewarning... First time posting... did some searching first.

I purchased an upper kit that came with a double star railed gas block and the Magpul MOE SL hand guard.  If you're not aware, the SL handguard wraps around the gas block quite a bit.  The issue I'm having is finding a front sight that will fit a gas block, but also fit the MOE SL handguard.  Since this was sold as a kit, I have to imagine they thought ahead and knew people would mount a front sight.

Here are some pics to give you an idea of the clearances.  The Midwest Industries MCTAR-FFG was recommened.  Can anybody confirm that will fit?

Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Magpul mbus pro.

Or a cheaper one is Palmetto's own flip up sight.

OOS, though.

ETA:  Just thought about the ability to flip down... might hit the handguard.  Dremel away!

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Or maybe a standard one like this?

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
You need a railed/picatinny gas block front site, NOT the ones recommended above. They sit too low and will not work.

Once you find a front sight, you might have to remove some material from the hand guards to make everything work together nicely, but that shouldn't be a problems.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 5:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The one recommended is the kind(for gas block mount) that you need. MI make good stuff.

I'd save the 100 bucks, having to mods your hand guard and just put a standard FSB on there. Like Turbine said, you'll more than likely have to break out the dremel and remove some of the rail around the GB in order to mount a front sight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a railed/picatinny gas block front site, NOT the ones recommended above. They sit too low and will not work.

Once you find a front sight, you might have to remove some material from the hand guards to make everything work together nicely, but that shouldn't be a problems.
View Quote

this. you can just mount it so it folds forward.

gas block sight
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
That gasblock looks low to me?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:02:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Apparently there are two types of railed gas blocks.  Low (like I have) or rail height which makes it the same height as the rail on an upper.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Apparently there are two types of railed gas blocks.  Low (like I have) or rail height which makes it the same height as the rail on an upper.
View Quote

That is correct...I would recommend just replacing the whole gas block with a folding site/gas block combo.

Rock River Arms makes a very nice one, and Yankee Hill Machine makes several...and there are others as well, but those are the most well known.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit. I mentioned that above when I said regular sights won't work.

Replacing your gas block with a folding or regular front sight base would be the best choice.

Or you can just put a quality red dot on top and not use iron sights at all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ran into this thread looking for some answers. Well, ok. Its dremel time. Unless there's another front site out there that can fit. I will wait a few days. Thanks guys.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top