Page / 21
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 2:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHG8W2-1LLs
View Quote

You give in and pick one up yet?

Built out a spare parts gun for the extra vehicle and swapped the red dot out for one of my 3X’s. Hoping PA has blems and open box options again this year for Black Friday.

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:09:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:

View Quote
No, I'm still hoping for a GLx 4x.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Update on my 3x.  I completely took the mount and riser apart, reassembled, and was able to zero today.  Something must have been out of alignment out of the box.  I'm not going to complain, it saves me effort of doing a RMA.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

Got an ADM mount and put it on a new build. 14.5" surplused Remington upper and a PSA m4a1 lower.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Update on my 3x.  I completely took the mount and riser apart, reassembled, and was able to zero today.  Something must have been out of alignment out of the box.  I'm not going to complain, it saves me effort of doing a RMA.
View Quote

Good to hear
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I got an email today from PA offering $65 Bonus Bucks on top of the MIL/LEO discount.

I don't need another... I don't need another...
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Mars87:
I got an email today from PA offering $65 Bonus Bucks on top of the MIL/LEO discount.

View Quote

Time to get a GLX 2x and compare and contrast.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#8]
If the glx 2x had the 3x reticle in it that would be the one to get. Glass is better and there is only 4ft of difference in the field of view from 2x to 3x. When I took pics through them side by side there was not enough difference in magnification to really notice but the reticle in the 2x is so tiny. Really hard to see the drop down dots.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
If the glx 2x had the 3x reticle in it that would be the one to get. Glass is better and there is only 4ft of difference in the field of view from 2x to 3x. When I took pics through them side by side there was not enough difference in magnification to really notice but the reticle in the 2x is so tiny. Really hard to see the drop down dots.
View Quote

Huh.  Not my experience.  But I also have to crank the objective waaaaaaay out to compensate for my farsightedness.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

If you get used to an Eotech for close up, a lot of the prism sights and lpvo scopes have such tiny reticles.  Even some of the horseshoes are hard to pick up, much less the chevrons.  Then you get reticles that are a large ring (not bad) but the inner point is a second big ring that precludes any sort of precision.  It's like some companies can't figure out how to make a really well balanced and useful reticle
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 8:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By mcculver5:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've got a GLX 2x I don't need.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
View All Quotes

Belay that. Decide to use it on my Blood Diamond clone that's morphing to something else.

For those mounting on a carry handle, what are you using to screw it down on the carry handle?

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Built out a spare parts gun for the extra vehicle and swapped the red dot out for one of my 3X’s. Hoping PA has blems and open box options again this year for Black Friday.

https://i.ibb.co/cyLvtRb/IMG-2976.jpg

View Quote

I see iron sights that can’t be used and a short eye relief optic mounted well forward to put iron sights on that again, can’t be used due to a non quick release optic mount. Looks like a compromised system just to add stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:50:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
Originally Posted By scottrh2:

I see iron sights that can’t be used and a short eye relief optic mounted well forward to put iron sights on that again, can’t be used due to a non quick release optic mount. Looks like a compromised system just to add stuff.
View Quote

I can see through the optic just fine. Not sure if you have used one or not, but one or two slots off from optimal is not make or break.

I carry the driver in my range bag. If something happens, I can remove the optic and keep blasting without my trip being ruined. Are you under the impression that I’m taking this into combat or something? I have almost a dozen AR’s and I’ve never taken any of them into combat. How about you?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 2:39:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TNRonin] [#15]

I see iron sights that can't be used and a short eye relief optic mounted well forward to put iron sights on that again, can't be used due to a non quick release optic mount. Looks like a compromised system just to add stuff.
View Quote
I use 45*   offset BUIS. What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 6:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottrh2] [#16]

I can see through the optic just fine. Not sure if you have used one or not, but one or two slots off from optimal is not make or break.

I carry the driver in my range bag. If something happens, I can remove the optic and keep blasting without my trip being ruined. Are you under the impression that I’m taking this into combat or something? I have almost a dozen AR’s and I’ve never taken any of them into combat. How about you?
View All Quotes

3 times, not personal weapons though. That is an etched reticle and will take a beating.  Looks like and smells like a “combat” weapon with iron sights, primary sight and CCO sight. I run a PA 3X on a AK and found it very robust but a short eye relief like a 4X ACOG.
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#17]

3 times, not personal weapons though. That is an etched reticle and will take a beating.  Looks like and smells like a “combat” weapon with iron sights, primary sight and CCO sight. I run a PA 3X on a AK and found it very robust but a short eye relief like a 4X ACOG.
View Quote

I run QD on others. That build was just spare parts build up. The combo works fine for what it is and is only a range gun.

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Belay that. Decide to use it on my Blood Diamond clone that's morphing to something else.

For those mounting on a carry handle, what are you using to screw it down on the carry handle?

View All Quotes

I use the one they sell at PA.  

As seen in post 12 on this page.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#19]

I use the one they sell at PA.  

As seen in post 12 on this page.
View Quote
Thanks! Didn't know there was a 2x thread.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I've read most of this thread but didn't find too much info on durability.  Has anyone beat one of these 3x prisms up and checked zero?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 5:24:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jamess396] [#22]
Originally Posted By Eric017:
I've read most of this thread but didn't find too much info on durability.  Has anyone beat one of these 3x prisms up and checked zero?
View Quote

i’ve used mine for a couple 3 gun seasons, optic held up fine but the mount gave me a zero shift. replaced it with an ADM and it was fine after that. lots of bumps and barrel throws with no issues.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Got rid of the mount on my GLX 2x as well since it required too much windage to get zeroed. Midwest Industries and ADM have good mounts that fixed the problem. Get the none cantilevered one and you can still use the PA spacers to get a height you want. Someone on here already bent their cantilevered ADM mount. The MI mount lets you move the optic to the rear further than the ADM mount.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:05:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jamess396:

i’ve used mine for a couple 3 gun seasons, optic held up fine but the mount gave me a zero shift. replaced it with an ADM and it was fine after that. lots of bumps and barrel throws with no issues.
View Quote

Are you using the cantilever mount or the straight?
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Got rid of the mount on my GLX 2x as well since it required too much windage to get zeroed. Midwest Industries and ADM have good mounts that fixed the problem. Get the none cantilevered one and you can still use the PA spacers to get a height you want. Someone on here already bent their cantilevered ADM mount. The MI mount lets you move the optic to the rear further than the ADM mount.
View Quote

I don't remember seeing a bent adm mount...

The problem I see with the bolt on cantilever mounts are they introduce another point of failure.
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

I don't remember seeing a bent adm mount...

View Quote

Its further back in this or a related thread. ADM mounts are 6061. A cantilevered mount will be objectively weaker than non. I dont remember seeing anyone post a bent cantilevered 7075 mount.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:54:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jamess396] [#27]

View All Quotes

i’m using the low profile straight adm mount AD-B2, low mount because it's not an ar15. im using the 5x nowadays on the same ADM mount.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#28]

As far as I can tell it is. You going to give in to the dark side and try one?

The ACOG has a tiny bit better glass but beyond that these are the better optic. Almost twice the FOV of a 3X ACOG yet still has better eye relief.
View Quote

I have to eat some crow on this.

Bought a TA50 and at the listed 1.4” of the TA50, the prism shadows out with little exit pupil range. This was my experience with a TA33 mounted NTCH too. The PA does better at its optimal listed eye relief by far.

However, if you move the TA50 out a little bit to where the lens starts to shadow just a tiny bit, you can no longer make the prism shadow out at all and the eye box is massive. So foot in mouth as I previously never had the chance to actually figure out the compact ACOG’s sweet spot.

Field of view is better in the PA, but the eye box on even my lesser forgiving TA50 is astronomically larger as long as you don’t use it at the eye relief Trijicon says to.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#29]

i’m using the low profile straight adm mount AD-B2, low mount because it's not an ar15. im using the 5x nowadays on the same ADM mount.
https://i.imgur.com/zOB3N2B.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe I'm dumb but I can't find it on their website. Where are the 3x prisms made?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:40:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By AMG08:
Maybe I'm dumb but I can't find it on their website. Where are the 3x prisms made?
View Quote

China
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AMG08:
View Quote

China like most PA products, but they have very good QA.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#33]

China like most PA products, but they have very good QA.
View Quote
They are pretty open about where each line is made.

SLx = China
GLx = Phillipines
PLx = Japan

Someone correct me if that's not accurate.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:46:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#34]
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

SLx = China
GLx Scopes = Philippines /  GLx prisms = China
PLx = Japan

View Quote

All true with an additional edit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Just10mm:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Just10mm:
Originally Posted By Paulie771:

SLx = China
GLx Scopes = Philippines /  GLx prisms = China
PLx = Japan

Ah, thx. I wasn’t aware of the GLx prisms being Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Just waiting on the carry handle screw/nut to show up and I think this one is ready to go. Inspired by a member here and my late brother’s M4 with huge bayonet.

On topic though, the high cantilever mount lets you use the irons through the mount (didn’t realize it until I was putting it together today) and the cheek weld really isn’t half bad. More of a lower jaw, but repeatable and seems comfortable.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:32:47 AM EDT
[#37]
On a different note, PA really does need to put better screws in with the optics. I swapped out the 10x32 on the above, but didn’t have any higher quality long ones in my parts tray. The standard PA ones in the box stripped the heads right before 25 inch pounds (dry) in my torque screwdriver. Spec in the booklet is 20-30 inch pounds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 11:26:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#38]
On a different note, PA really does need to put better screws in with the optics. I swapped out the 10x32 on the above, but didn’t have any higher quality long ones in my parts tray. The standard PA ones in the box stripped the heads right before 25 inch pounds (dry) in my torque screwdriver. Spec in the booklet is 20-30 inch pounds.
View Quote

Yes they do, PA’s prism mounts and hardware are junk.

They give you 87 different ways to mount your optic with shit tier screws and pot metal mounts.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#39]
With the disappointment of the PA microprism MRDS mount, I've been passively looking out for possible solutions for those of us who like having a top dot on our magnification.

Given that I am *almost* able to get a decent sight picture through my Unity FAST micro mount, I ordered an Overbore Night Height mount to try out (blems on sale right now). This mount is like the Unity, but hollowed-out more.

I am going to mount it up and see how they might play together. A little silly? Sure. But if it works....
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Just waiting on the carry handle screw/nut to show up and I think this one is ready to go. Inspired by a member here and my late brother's M4 with huge bayonet.

On topic though, the high cantilever mount lets you use the irons through the mount (didn't realize it until I was putting it together today) and the cheek weld really isn't half bad. More of a lower jaw, but repeatable and seems comfortable.

https://i.imgur.com/xYTZy4Y_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=grand
View Quote
isn't that way too far back? how is the eye relief when you're standing with the gun in the firing position?
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:55:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#41]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
isn't that way too far back? how is the eye relief when you're standing with the gun in the firing position?
View Quote

It’s not mounted yet, I just stuck it in the channel to see how it’ll fit. We’ll see how it mounts up when the screw/washer gets here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
View Quote
That's where a lot of people [stupidly] put their LPVOs, but at least at that height the eye is a little further back.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:
https://i.imgur.com/qjwz9c9.jpg
View Quote

Great minds think alike.
11.5 + mk14 + lwrc uicw + 3x prism is a winning set up.

Attachment Attached File

I really hoped the 12:00 mount would let me move towards the PA prisms, but now I'm just hoping they come out with a 4x GLX with a decent option for a 12:00 dot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:08:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#45]
Originally Posted By keeperofthedew:

Great minds think alike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177960/Screenshot_20240311_153928_Photos_jpg-3164411.JPG

I really hoped the 12:00 mount would let me move towards the PA prisms, but now I'm just hoping they come out with a 4x GLX with a decent option for a 12:00 dot.
View Quote
Nice. It's a normal buffer tube and buffer. The actual LWRC UICW buffer tube, etc. is on my 8.5" 300 blk. This build came about as I had an SBR lower sitting around, the stock, an 11.5 Spike's CHF pencil barrel apparently nobody wanted to buy, spare BCM upper, then I got the rail at Cola Warrior Northwest. Grew into a rifle . This will be my go to around our property gun during the day. My actual go to AR is my 12.5 SBR. My in the house AR is the 300
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Pa should design a 5x that has a red dot built into the scope housing on top. They would sell conex loads of um.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Great minds think alike.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/177960/Screenshot_20240311_153928_Photos_jpg-3164411.JPG

View All Quotes

Great minds think alike.

@keeperofthedew it’s not for the 3x, but this is very interesting
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Yep!  Im not a piggyback guy, but THIS was a good idea!  As discussed in that thread, a cantilever to lower the MRDS is a logical improvement, but its pretty sweet as is.  It takes one of the most practical optics on the market, behind the 3x, and ups the ante.  

I decided to try the LPVO thing, putting one on my 14.5", and moved the PSA Micro Prism 3x on my 10.5 pissel.  It's a really nice, handy combo.  Ultimate truck gun kinda thing.  PSA knocked it outta the park with the size and usability of the tiny prisms.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:07:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#49]
Originally Posted By jdk1:

I decided to try the LPVO thing, putting one on my 14.5", and moved the PA Micro Prism 3x on my 10.5 pissel.  It's a really nice, handy combo.  Ultimate truck gun kinda thing.  PA knocked it outta the park with the size and usability of the tiny prisms.
View Quote
Get your just-az-gud brands right.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By alphajaguars:

Great minds think alike.

Well fuck me running.
That's pretty hot.
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top