Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/12/2010 5:53:15 PM EDT
I live in a closed building apartment and am just wanting some ideas to discreetly carry my riflefrom the car and such

Just wondering if there are any other apartment dwellers or so on with some good ideas.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used a tennis racket bag with a separated carbine.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nike baseball bat bag
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Wilson bat bag

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the same problem only my building has cameras everywhere, when I recently bought a Mosin Nagant 91/30 at a gun show without a case, I came up with using two folding outdoor chair bags together, just to get it in the building without people freaking out, my brother sent me a similar forum question that was posted on Calguns.net and people said they use the chair carring bags the same way, and they claim one bag will fit a AR15...sorry no pics but I hope that helps....
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#6]
http://www.lwrci.com/p-18-lwrci-ultimate-discrete-case.aspx
This is what I want!
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.lwrci.com/p-18-lwrci-ultimate-discrete-case.aspx
This is what I want!
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#8]
This is what I use by Castle Rock Tactical

To me it screams rifle but everyone else always asks me if its a instrument or a telescope.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
$12 collapsable duffel from wal mart + towels
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Wal-Mart camp chair bag?

Might have to put something inside of it to break the shape up a little.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#11]
LaRue makes a nice tactical covert bag.  Here's a link to it on their site.  You might also check their forum in the Industry section for more photos.  I believe there are some currently in the thread for winners of the UHFO Stealth Upper contest winners photos thread.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 10:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
If I lived in an apartment, and owned an AR I wouldn't try and keep it a secret. I would just carry it in a tactical bag. If anyone asked what was in the bag I would take it out, and show it to them. If they have a problem with it that's their problem. In MN a landlord can't keep you from having guns in the apartment. It's called right to bear arms.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 10:31:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I lived in an apartment, and owned an AR I wouldn't try and keep it a secret. I would just carry it in a tactical bag. If anyone asked what was in the bag I would take it out, and show it to them. If they have a problem with it that's their problem. In MN a landlord can't keep you from having guns in the apartment. It's called right to bear arms.

Sure showing off guns is cool and everyone has the right to bear arms, but my concerns are about thieves wanting to bear the arms I own.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure showing off guns is cool and everyone has the right to bear arms, but my concerns are about thieves wanting to bear the arms I own.

IMO it's about dodging trouble. The OP topic is interesting, keep it going.

J
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Too bad Rosie O'Donnell is anti-gun. she could move a 105mm howitzer through airport security without anyone being the wiser.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 11:49:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Too bad Rosie O'Donnell is anti-gun. she could move a 105mm howitzer through airport security without anyone being the wiser.

How would she hold it in place?

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have pics but I used to have an MGI upper and when broken down it would fit into a bookbag pretty easy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:19:45 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 to the discreet guitar case.

I've done this with an soft guitar case when I was one case short for a trip to the range. A yamaha acoustic usually rides in it but it worked in a pinch for a 16" KISS Carbine.

$50 at a local guitar shop. Works well enough as is but by adding a few DIY hook and loop straps it would be high speed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Bulldog Ultra Compact works for me.   It's blue and carries the rifle in halves so there is no clue whatsoever what might be in it.   Sturdy as well.   Sells for less than $40 from a variety of places.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 8:10:16 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not a fan of the bag that you have to separate the rifle to transport.

Might be a case of too much tinfoil but what happens if a situation arises and you need quick access to the rifle?

I carry mine around in a tactical rifle bag with mag pouches for all the world to see and don't think twice about it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Might be a case of too much tinfoil but what happens if a situation arises and you need quick access to the rifle?

I carry mine around in a tactical rifle bag with mag pouches for all the world to see and don't think twice about it.

Draw your pistol and find cover until you have time to get your rifle out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Another guitar case:

It was only about $40, and is better built than rifle cases at that price point.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Draw your pistol and find cover until you have time to get your rifle out.

that's asking a lot in a scenario where you need your rifle ricky tick! Which is why carrying it in 2 separate pieces IMO is not an ideal situation to find yourself in and is why I don't do it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#25]
This is how I carry mine.

" />
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Is your sausage dog trained to kill?
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Man, that gun case really does look like a bassett hound.  Amazing!

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He feeds the dog all the parts mixed with it's food, then gives it a super laxative when trouble presents itself.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 11:02:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How would she hold it in place?

Seriously?? She'd pin it under a fold right next to the left over bucket of KFC from last week.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#31]

This for the win, I was gonna post a pic of my truck but this guy beat me to it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#32]
I just use a soft case. Never get any second looks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#33]
bump for the night crew
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#35]

I feel your pain...  My wife went back go grad school a few years ago and though we are just months away from the end of it, I have had to renew my low profile carry strategies over the last few years based on the locations that we've lived:

Varmint rifle with 26" barrel goes in a soft bass guitar case with some towels to keep the form.

M4 gets broken down into upper/lower and put into a rectangular soft case that goes into a duffel bag.

M4 gets broken down into upper/lower and carred in a "fake" tool box. (several threads on this)

M4 can remain in once piece in an appropriately sized gym bag.

20"-22" barreled rifles (hunting rifles) go into a garment bag and carried upright like the bag has suits in it.

SBR'd MP5 clone gets carred in a tennis racket bag.

Link Posted: 10/13/2010 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I feel your pain...  My wife went back go grad school a few years ago and though we are just months away from the end of it, I have had to renew my low profile carry strategies over the last few years based on the locations that we've lived:

Varmint rifle with 26" barrel goes in a soft bass guitar case with some towels to keep the form.

M4 gets broken down into upper/lower and put into a rectangular soft case that goes into a duffel bag.

M4 gets broken down into upper/lower and carred in a "fake" tool box. (several threads on this)

M4 can remain in once piece in an appropriately sized gym bag.

20"-22" barreled rifles (hunting rifles) go into a garment bag and carried upright like the bag has suits in it.

SBR'd MP5 clone gets carred in a tennis racket bag.

+1

ON THE TOOL BOX

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 10/14/2010 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#39]

What do you use to fill in the space? is that like a vacu-form thing?
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:08:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What do you use to fill in the space? is that like a vacu-form thing?

I used foam sheets made for putting under a sleeping bag and cut them to shape.  You can get them at Walmart.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:13:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He feeds the dog all the parts mixed with it's food, then gives it a super laxative when trouble presents itself.

This also lubes the parts up nicely.

Back on track:

I use an softcase for my guitar. I also use a Wilson duffel bag that requires me to break down the rifle.
I kinda gave up on this since I usually am taking shotguns too, and well...they are a bit more tedious to break down and I'm lazy.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Another guitar case:

It was only about $40, and is better built than rifle cases at that price point.

Nice case.
Not to derail the thread at all, but I'm considering a similar set up with the fixed rear buis and an EOTech of some model. Which model are you using, and is it lower 1/3 or co-witness? Which of those setups do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 11:47:38 AM EDT
[#43]
when i was at my appts i carryed mine on a sling in hand loaded
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#44]
The trouble with musical instrument, sports equipment, and tool cases is that people seem to want to steal  musical instruments, sports equipment, and tools as much or more than they want to steal guns.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Violin case?
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The trouble with musical instrument, sports equipment, and tool cases is that people seem to want to steal musical instruments, sports equipment, and tools as much or more than they want to steal guns.

The fear is not just theft, it's people freaking the fuck out and/or moving firearms to and from places that either frown upon or prohibit firearms such as an apartment or dorm.  A ton of douchey guys in college have guitars, so it's not strange to see someone taking a guitar case to and from their car.  It might even get you some positive attention.  (I've got a story.)  A rifle case immediately changes the tone.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#47]
I have thought about using a hardshell guitar case and cutting foam to fit. For instance I have an old Charvel case that is made by SKB that would be fantastic as a gun case.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:57:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I can't beat the basset hound, but

tennis racket from Wal*mart:  $15

closed-cell foam to protect contents:  $20

being able to stealthily transport a combat weapon under the nose of unsuspecting liberals:  priceless
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I agree that in situations where one may need to deploy the weapon immediately, being discreet is not the primary concern.
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#50]
This thread is a trap, now he knows what all of your discreet cases look like, so he knows what to look for.

But seriously, the sports cases I like.

The guitar cases? I don't know anything about guitars, and if a dude asks me about it I personally wouldn't know what to say. And what if someone wants to see your guitar?

One day I'll have my SBR, and I'll be looking for a case that holds it, plus other stuff. It'd be weird if you had a bag that only had one compartment, that no one saw you use. If you can pull a book, cell phone, laptop, pens, paper, or etc from it, looks more legit. That's just how I think though. Because there are times when it just seems weird for you to have a tennis bag. (Dude, you carry your rackets everywhere?)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top