Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2011 6:58:05 AM EDT
So whatcha think? Thinking about making one to fit my 11.5 inch SBR.

Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:07:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I love it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 9:14:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Any particular practical use for one?
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any particular practical use for one?

Poking the bad guy to make sure he's dead
Link Posted: 8/27/2011 4:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Practical use? Not really.....are bayonets usefull for the civilian sector? Naaa but its nice to have one with a gun and if you have to have one might as well have one thats more usefull than a m7 and has more class than a m9.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to MAKE it.

Knock out/cut the pin from a kabars pommel and remove everything fron the blade.

Knock apart a m7 and assemble the parts on the kabar. You will have to weld the guard to the tang, drill holes for the grips, and weld the tang inside the pomel.

Link Posted: 8/28/2011 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Would wind up being a more sturdy "knife" than the current M9 offerings too I bet.
Link Posted: 8/28/2011 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
With the welded pommel I would say so, you are cutting out the only weakness the kabar had as a knife.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#10]
That is a cool mod.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If somebody were to do the mods and sell these, they'd probably make a tidy sum.
Link Posted: 8/29/2011 10:10:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If somebody were to do the mods and sell these, they'd probably make a tidy sum.

Yes and no..... The cost of the m7 donor bayonet and the kabar is going to push the price up there for a bayonet. I think they would sell but I dont think many would want to pay $100 for one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You have to MAKE it.

Knock out/cut the pin from a kabars pommel and remove everything fron the blade.

Knock apart a m7 and assemble the parts on the kabar. You will have to weld the guard to the tang, drill holes for the grips, and weld the tang inside the pomel.

That is really cool.   A Fraken-bayonet.  Stabbing your foes with class!

Would welding the guard to the tang cause any weakness in the metal?  I seem to remember from welding class that post-weld heat treatment was necessary after welding hardened steel.  Not sure if this applies to a Kabar.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like it.

Can I have it? (Since nobody else has asked.)

Send me a kabar and a m7 bayonet and I'll weld one up for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2011 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have to MAKE it.

Would welding the guard to the tang cause any weakness in the metal?  I seem to remember from welding class that post-weld heat treatment was necessary after welding hardened steel.  Not sure if this applies to a Kabar.

Technically yes it will cause a weakness BUT this is going to be a bayonet afterall, its not like its under alot of stress.....You would have to throw the rifle like a javilen before it might bend any and then I'm doubtfull that it actually would.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 9:27:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You have to MAKE it.

Technically yes it will cause a weakness BUT this is going to be a bayonet afterall, its not like its under alot of stress.....You would have to throw the rifle like a javilen before it might bend any and then I'm doubtfull that it actually would.

Good point. I've only seen a kabar break once, and that's because the owner was using it as a throwing knife. I was thinking about creating one myself.  Out of curiosity, did you MIG, TIG, arc or gas weld it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2011 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]
At the time I MIG welded the guard with a cheap $50 craftsman welder I found on craigslist but I'm a good welder and the weld is strong. Now I have my old job back I have access to a NICE miller setup so it will be alot stronger. I'm STILL looking for the right FSB. once I find it I will test fit it and then finish weld the pommel with the miller.

As for the kabars breaking, the pins usually go first when the pommel slams against a tree. I've never seen or heard of another breaking other than the pin sheering off. If you use a welded pommel, say a m7 bayonet catch, I dont think you would be able to break it by throwing it at a tree. You would have to shove the knife in a vice and use a breaker bar on the handle to snap the blade sideways.

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 8:22:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I hear ya.  I started with a cheap Harbor Freight MIG welder for <$100.  Had 2 power settings, weak and weaker.

I'm trying to remember how the kabar actually broke.  My buddy would sit and throw the damn thing all night at the barn wall while he was pissed off and drunk.  He missed many times and wound up striking metal and concrete on many occasions.  Ill ask if he still has the knife and snap a picture if he does.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#20]
If he still has it that would be a ideal canidate to use.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Do you have other pics?  Some of the handles off, and showing where you welded it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont have any other pics right now but its just a spot weld on each side of the finger guard on to the tang. The grips, once installed cover up the welds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:11:06 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have some cash and are lazy you can get one here: Bayonet

It looks like a Kabar and it's current issue.

I'm not sure it will work with your SBR unless your bayonet lug is standard distance from the end or the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#25]
My instance its close but wont work with out being slightly shorter.

This is what it would look like once done.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#26]
The current USMC OKC-3S bayonet is very similar to your bayonet.  The USMC is very fond of the KaBar pattern knife from both a utilitarian as well as historic standpoint.  I sold off a M9 so that I could get one and absolutely love it.  It is much more usable as a field or fighting knife.  Plus why wouldn't any self respecting owner of a bayonet lug not own a matching bayonet?  Without a bayonet, you only have a poorly performing bottle opener.  

Many overlook the usefulness of a bayonet when handling prisoners or for crowd control.  They are much less inclined to charge or grab for a knife than they would a bare rifle.  Also, prisoners & crowds know they are much more likely to get poked and cut rather than shot.  So they take verbal commands much more serious when faced with a very sharp knife pointing at them hanging off the end of a rifle.

Link Posted: 9/14/2011 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Sorry, double tap as I was so excited to talk about bayonets.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Check these out

http://www.tactical-arms.com/knives-scabbards-bayonets/
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:09:47 PM EDT
[#29]
My son is a Marine.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#30]
My son is a Marine.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Thats nice?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Gotta do some welding but heres one I did for a fellow member.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#33]
oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2011 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#34]
did you recieve it yet?
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Practical use? Not really.....are bayonets usefull for the civilian sector? Naaa but its nice to have one with a gun and if you have to have one might as well have one thats more usefull than a m7 and has more class than a m9.

If your AR is for home defense, that bayonet keep the bad guy an extra 6" from you. :) plus if the guy charged you, your natural instinct is to put the gun between you and him, he will find out the hard way that was a bad idea.

Especially in my state, you can only have 10 rounds, so "10+ knife" is better than just "10."
Link Posted: 12/10/2011 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#36]
As long as it has more steel than the M9. The tang in the M9 is bushed way down and then threaded inside the handle. It is shit for a survival knife.

Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top