Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2011 8:00:41 AM EDT
The title says it all. I've built one lower and want to put a little grease on the receiver extension where it threads into the lower. I could order a tube online, but really don't want to spend $25 with shipping for a small, one time application. Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a 1 oz jar of Neco Moly Slide for this.  It's moly grease and graphite free.  Bushmaster sells it as well.  http://www.neconos.com/category/Lubricants-8
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:27:34 AM EDT
[#2]
red high speed trailer bering lube is the same as shell but no mil spec ,so any boating store ftw
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It would be great if the vendors / manufactures of free float rails would include a small amout of anti-seize grease. I would be more than willing to spend an extra dollar for a one time packet of grease than buy a large tube of the stuff.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It would be great if the vendors / manufactures of free float rails would include a small amout of anti-seize grease. I would be more than willing to spend an extra dollar for a one time packet of grease than buy a large tube of the stuff.

Good call.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
not to highjack but...
whats wrong with the normal anti-seize?

Mine says
good to 1600 degrees and non-crosive

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You need to stay away from anti-seize grease with copper or graphite.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
i just used moly grease from a local hobby shop
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#8]
But if you get a tube of Aeroshell you can build ARs for the rest of your life!
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought a 1 oz jar of Neco Moly Slide for this.  It's moly grease and graphite free.  Bushmaster sells it as well.  http://www.neconos.com/category/Lubricants-8

Hey that may just be the ticket! Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is true.  I wonder if my wife would buy into it.

But Baby, I had to buy those 50 lowers...I have an entire tube of Aeroshell!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You need to stay away from anti-seize grease with copper or graphite.

whats with copper?
Aluminum?

I dont wanna highjack, Im asking because I cant find it, and anyone searching will find the answer here Besides its his next question anyway...
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#12]
It's not a huge deal but this is why the military does not use graphite and aluminum together. User GHPorter is better versed on this subjuect and posted this response to the question.

Quote GHPorter:

"GALVANIC corrosion needs an electrolyte to happen-it can be almost any material as long as it is electrochemically active. Many lubricant bases can be electrolytes with the right conditions present. Plus, graphite acts as an abrasive on hardcoat anodizing, breaking down the barrier between the steel nut and the raw aluminum. In the presence of air, aluminum very quickly forms a thin, impermeable layer of aluminum oxide, which protects it from further oxidization. But inside a metal-to-metal assembly, there is not enough oxygen for this to happen, and the anaerobic chemistry of the grease and dissimilar metals takes over. Further, almost every auto lubricant (axle grease has been widely advocated for barrel nut installation "because it's cheap") not only contains a significant amount of graphite as a lubricating agent, but also is formulated to accept and dissolve atmospheric and incidental water. So a grease that will keep your steel-to-steel contact roller bearings rolling just fine can actually be very detrimental to a dissimilar metal assembly.

But I've posted this before and people apparently would still rather save $15 than use an available, effective and affordable grease that's actually meant for this sort of application, one that has decades of history doing the proper job. Use what you want, if anything. But while it may be "quick and easy," it's not the best choice."

This information is taken from PREVENTION OF MATERIAL DETERIORATION: CORROSION CONTROL COURSE, LOGISTICS ENGINEERING DIRECTORATE, JUNE 1985

This course was presented by U.S. Army Armament Munitions and Chemicals Command
Rock Island Arsenal, Illinois (Note this command name has changed and is unknown at this time. I am told there is no update to this course book. It is considered by many as the finest course ever conducted by the Army.)
===============================================
GRAPHITE

Graphite, a natural occurring mineral is singularly one of the most insidious causes of corrosion in military equipment. It is an electrical conductor and is cathodic to all of the common metals with the exception of gold and platinum. It is this property that results in galvanic corrosion of metal structures to which it has been applied when an electrolyte is present. The voltage generated is sufficient to cause a rapid corrosive reaction. An example of this reaction is seen in the common dry cell where graphite and zinc develop a potential of approximately 1.5 volts. The voltage is produced by the corrosion reaction within the battery.

When applied on bearing surfaces the galvanic corrosion action destroys the very surface requiring lubrication and forms abrasive corrosion products which further hasten wear or seizure of mating parts. While graphite is generally considered .to be a lubricant it is a lubricant only in the presence of absorbed moisture or certain gases. Under conditions of vacuum or at subzero temperatures it is actually an abrasive. It is therefore unsuited for lubrication in space applications or high altitude aircraft unless combined with other materials capable of supplying the needed gas.

The graphite problem is compounded by the fact that many commercial solid film lubricants contain graphite in a mixture of powdered heavy metals, molybdenum disulfide or other lubricative solids. Many of these products qualify under a number of military specifications written primarily to obtain lubricant properties with little or cursory regard for the corrosivity of the product. Typical specifications are MIL-L-8937 or MIL-L-23398. The problem is made more complex by the fact that many nongraphite products qualify but the specification is not sufficiently stringent in respect to corrosion tests. A list of corrosive graphite lubricant specifications is found in Incl. 1.

Serious problems involving potential loss of human life as well as equipment are accelerated by the use of graphite lubrication hinge pins for critical control surfaces for aircraft. Graphite has been applied by mechanics to aid in installation of these long thin pins through multiple hinge tabs. Pitting, stress corrosion cracking, and ultimate seizing and breaking of the high strength aluminum hinge tabs results.

Major corrosion problems have been encountered when graphite-petrolatum compound was used in the “Lube-torque” wheel lug bolt torquing procedure on aircraft landing gear wheels, particularly with magnesium wheels.

A high incidence of corrosion is invariably found in wheel-well areas of aircraft where graphite from the brake lining combines with dirt and water and contacts critical structural members. There is no known qualified brake lining that does not contain graphite. Therefore, the solution of this problem is “cleansing” maintenance.

Problems of graphite induced corrosion were encountered in the M28 Armament Subsystem for Helicopters. In this equipment graphite containing qualified solid film lubricant meeting requirement of MIL-L-8937 was designated as the lubricant to be applied to a 7075T6 cam ring. After a brief period of exposure in field operation, severe stress corrosion cracking was encountered which required replacement of a number of the cam rings.

Layout pencils containing graphite were used in sheet metal fabrication for aircraft caused corrosion of aircraft in service and resulted in issuance of a US Air Force Specification for layout pencils with no graphite or conductive carbon content.

Corrosion problems were encountered on aluminum deck structures aboard naval ships in England and on launch facilities at Cape Kenney where graphite “lead” pencils were used for extraneous marking on the surfaces.

Graphite added to wheel-bearing grease used on the F-4 Phantom aircraft main landing gear caused severe corrosion of the bearings in as little as three months of service.

Graphite grease used in lubricating arresting cables aboard aircraft carriers contributes to the severity of corrosion of carrier based aircraft when landing gear wheels pick up graphite form the deck surface during rainy weather and spray it into wheel well areas and other surfaces of the rear of the wheels. “Cleansing”: maintenance will reduce the severity of the problem.

Solid film lubricants which meet the lubricant requirement s without graphite are available for most applications (see Incl. 1). Use of the corrosive graphite types is justified only in certain high temperature applications.

TABLE 1

GRAPHITIC (CORROSIVE) NON-CORROSIVE
LUBRICANTS USE REPLACEMENT

TT-A-580 Antiseize MIL-L25681 (Note 4)

SS-G-659 Dry Lubricant MIL-M-7866

JAN-A-669 Antiseize MIL-L-25681 (Note 4)

VV-G-671 Dry Lubricant MIL-M-7866

MIL-A-907 Antiseize MIL-L-25681 (note 4)

MIL-T-5544 Antiseize MIL-L-25681

MIL-T-5544 General Lubricant MIL-L-21164 (note 1)

MIL-G-13912 Antiseize MIL-L-25681 (note 4)
MIL-L-3572 Oil Lubricant MIL-M-7866

CANCELLED SPECIFICATIONS

MIL-G-6711 Dry Lubricant MIL-M-77866
(Cancelled 4 Mar 71)

MIL-G-7187 General Lubricant MIL-G-211164(Note 1)
(Cancelled 12 Nov 65)

SOLID FILM LUBRICANTS

MIL-L-8937 Heat Cure MIL-L-46010 (Note2)

MIL-L-23398 Air Dry MIL-L-46147 (Note 2)

MISCELLANEOUS SPECIFICATIONS

MIL-L-24131 Dry Lubricant Note 3

MIL-L-81329 Solid Film Lubricant Note 3

MIL-L-5542 Antiseize Note 3

MIL-L-17745 General Lubricant Note 3

TABLE 1 NOTES

Note 1: Where there are problems with noncompatibility of elastomers and this synthetic lubricant, use MIL-G-23549.

Note 2: Requests have been made for standardization action removing graphite from MIL-L-8937 and MIL-L-23398. Until this action is accomplished;, Air Force use of these specifications shall be withdrawn. Wide use of MIL-L-8937 and MIL-L-23398 has been made on supplier lubricated parts. We have found much corrosion/galling of the MIL-L-8937 or MIL-L-23398 types should be changed out under TCTO directives. Where this is impractical, its hold be made positive that replacement parts be solid film lubricated by non graphitic lubricants.

NOTE 3: In order to select a suitable substitute for these miscellaneous materials, the specific application just be known. Each specific use of these materials should be checked through San Antonio ALC/SFQTE, Autovon 945-7613.

NOTE 4: Do not use this silicone lubricant in fuel tank areas where sealing of fasteners is critical or in areas where paint adhesion is critical. Where sealing, paint adhesion, or torque values are involved, contact Warner Robins ALC/MMEETC, Autovon 468-3284, for substitute.

Note 5: Where use of a silicone oil base lubricant is impractical, (see Note 4), MIL-G_81322 also may be substituted for MIL-L-3572, except where use of an oil is mandatory, i.e., poor access, configuration, etc. Checked these instances with the ALC prime on the equipment.

Note 6: Rock Island Arsenal Purchase Description 703 air dry solid film will be furnished when MIL-L-46147 is ordered. There is no QPL for MIL-L-46147. Until a QPL is issued, specify RIA PD 703. This product is available in 12 oz aerosol containers (9150-00-142-9309) and one gal bulk containers (9150-00-142-9361).

===============================================

Below is a list of metals that react with each other in the presence of water. Sea water is generally the worst scenario. The metals are listed from one end of the potential the other. To put it simply the worst is at the top and the further down the list the contact metal is the more problems you get. Metals that are next to each other in the ladder will have the least amount of reaction in the presence of moisture. Metals that are further apart will have the most reaction. The metals highest on the list attract to those lower and interact trying to go to the lower metal.

You will note GRAPHITE always wins. Graphite will be the last thing left as everything else is below it. You may have noticed aluminum pots that have had water left in them long term will show pitting. The aluminum in the presence of water is attracted by the copper in the mixture and when the aluminum breaks away heading for the copper it floats away leaving pitting.

Magnesium
Zinc
Beryllium
Aluminum Alloys
Cadmium
Mild Steel, Cast Iron
Low Alloy Steel
Austenitic Nickel Cast Iron
Aluminum Bronze
Naval Brass, Yellow Brass, Red Brass,
Tin
Copper
Pb-Sn Solder (50/50)
Admiralty Bras, Aluminum Brass
Manganese Bronze
Silicon Bronze
Tin Bronzes (G&M)
Stainless Steel Types 410, 416 Note: 1
Nickel Silver
90-10 Copper – Nickel
80-20 Copper –Nickel
Stainless Steel Type 430 Note 1
Lead
70-30 Copper-Nickel
Nickel-Aluminum Bronze
Nickel-Chromium alloy 600 Note 1
Silver Braze alloys
Nickel 200
Silver
Stainless Steel Types 302, 304, 321, 347 Note 1
Nickel-Copper Alloys 400, K-500
Stainless Steel Types 316, 317 Note 1
Alloy “20” Stainless steels, cast and wrought
Nickel-Iron-Chromium alloy 825
Ni-Cr-Mo-Cu-Si alloy B
Titanium
Ni-Cr-MO alloy C
Platinum
GRAPHITE

Note 1: IN LOW-VELOCITY OR POORLY AERATED WATER, AND AT SHIELDED AREAS MAY BECOME ACTIVE AND EXHIBIT A POTENTIAL NEAR -0.5 VOLTS.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Or the Sun burns out
NECO will last the rest of your life

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 6:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Honda molly 60 paste or Suzuki or Yamaha,  you can get it from a motorcycle dealership/ shop.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm a fan of the Neco moly slide.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some Auto Zones have a small on time use foil packet of Moly grease for like $0.78 I've only seen them at Auto Zone and you have to look hard for it
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I have followed the "grease threads" here and elsewhere on the web.  I've seen all kinds of arguments and data sheets.  What I have NEVER seen was a simple pic of the supposed dangers of not using the areoshell.  

Like everything else, just because it's mil spec dosen't mean it's the best option.  Has anyone ever seen a pic of the demonic corrosion that will take over your whole gun safe  if you use trailer bearing grease on your barrel nut ???
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is it such an issue for folks to buy the right product?

They'll spend unreal amounts on junk to hang on their gun that adds no value though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why is it such an issue for folks to buy the right product?

They'll spend unreal amounts on junk to hang on their gun that adds no value though.

Because the "right" product isn't on sale at the local auto parts store in a 3 oz tube !
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my tube of Aeroshell 33 for $16 shipped from aircraftspruce.com

Link Posted: 2/15/2011 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Got mine from Skygeek for $14.90, overnight shipping at no extra charge.  Peace of mind, and enough of it to last 100 lifetimes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got mine from Skygeek for $14.90, overnight shipping at no extra charge.  Peace of mind, and enough of it to last 100 lifetimes.

That's where I'm going to get mine.  After all these years working with the AR.... I'm finally going to get some armorer's tools and get into upper assembly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top