Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/26/2011 6:13:42 PM EDT
I was originally going to build my AR and do an Olive Drab and black color scheme. The lower receiver is going to to be the Zombie Defense from Spikes.
However, I had an idea to get the Magpul XTM  rail covers for the forward hand guard (which will be a quad rail) and was thinking about going Black, Olive Drab, And Dark Earth-alternating. Then I had the idea to do the same with the stock, hand grip, and stock (and even possible the trigger guard).
Any ideas of how well this would look? Purely cosmetic, obviously, but I want to make the best looking stick that I can.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I find this pretty ridiculous.  Why would you ask other peoples opinions on how you like your gun to "look".  You even stated it is purely cosmetic.  Buy some xtm's, slap em on.  If you like it, keep it.  If not, decide what would make it better, and go from there.

I've decided not to post a picture of my AR until it is just the way I want, and that might be awhile
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Save your money for competition fees and get better at using it first. After you are an amazing shooter then go crazy with how it looks. Your doing it backwards it doesn't matter how your rifle looks if it is sitting in a closet collecting dust.

I have a custom build AR with an aimpoint on it and I get beat at 3-guns by guys using stock AK's. Just my .02 cents on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
just saying i was only spending like 30 extra dollars to do this.  Just wanted to know how this would look. Ppl usually e the same color on stock, mag, and grip.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
just saying i was only spending like 30 extra dollars to do this.  Just wanted to know how this would look. Ppl usually e the same color on stock, mag, and grip.

There are lot of pics out there. Just google AR 15 or browse the AR pic threads here. I like the black rifle with FDE furniture but that's me. I like my stuff to be functional AND look nice/cool so I hear you. I prefer function over form but not to the point that I don't care about form at all.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds cool to me.  Take a look at the magpul forum under the industry section, there's a picture thread that may give you some ideas.

click me

here's a link.  At the bottom of this page you'll find a picture that sounds kinda like what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
not exactly what you are looking for.. but this might help a little... none of my AR's are all one color

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Save your money for competition fees and get better at using it first. After you are an amazing shooter then go crazy with how it looks. Your doing it backwards it doesn't matter how your rifle looks if it is sitting in a closet collecting dust.

I have a custom build AR with an aimpoint on it and I get beat at 3-guns by guys using stock AK's. Just my .02 cents on the subject.

This falls into the "ever notice how a good shooter can shoot anything well while a bad shooter can't shoot anything well?" category.

Definitely not saying YOU are a bad shooter, just that good guys can make even a stock weapon sing while less experienced guys are worrying about free floating, which Geissele trigger they should get and how much accuracy can they get out of a 16" versus 14.5" barrel.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This falls into the "ever notice how a good shooter can shoot anything well while a bad shooter can't shoot anything well?" category.

Definitely not saying YOU are a bad shooter, just that good guys can make even a stock weapon sing while less experienced guys are worrying about free floating, which Geissele trigger they should get and how much accuracy can they get out of a 16" versus 14.5" barrel.

Definitely man. I shoot at a lot of the local competitions here and we have a guy that won a 3-gun with an SKS just to prove that point. Training is more important then decorating our weapon.

I'm not being a dick to the OP either I'm just giving him the info he needs. If you were in Phoenix I would take you to a competition anytime man. I offer all the guys in my HTF to come out with me to them.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely man. I shoot at a lot of the local competitions here and we have a guy that won a 3-gun with an SKS just to prove that point. Training is more important then decorating our weapon.

I'm not being a dick to the OP either I'm just giving him the info he needs. If you were in Phoenix I would take you to a competition anytime man. I offer all the guys in my HTF to come out with me to them.

That is hilarious...I bet people were like "yea right" at first then "holy crap" at the end.

In 4 DAYS I head out for leave in AZ in but will be totally engaged while there...'stan is a lot like AZ, but I still miss home.
Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

well I don't know about that. You don't have to be an amazing shooter to own a good looking gun, just like how you don't need to ride like a pro to own an amazing bike. Your money, your time, your gun...do what you want with it. When I was putting together my bike, I used MS Paint, brought in a picture, roughly colored the components with the colors I'm thinking of. Of course it's not as realistic as actual pictures, but hey, it gives you a general idea of how colors look next to each other.

Link Posted: 7/26/2011 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Durabo,  Can I get the name of that magwell cover?

*edit I think I found it, "never quit grip",  yay me
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top