Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2011 5:15:00 PM EDT
I pretty much have my new carbine length AR build completed. My thoughts throughout this build was to make it with an LMT SOPMOD collapsible buttstock. But, now I am thinking about putting on a 9" skeleton fixed from Ace. Does that work? How does it effect the buffer/spring combo? I know they (Ace) also have a 7" stock. Is that a better idea? Thank you for any input.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#2]
ARFX  Rifle length tube, spring and buffer.
ARFX-E Carbine spring and buffer and has it's own buffer tube that comes with it.
I've been seriously thinking of the ARFX-E with a spikes T2 Buffer and a 1" pad.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:52:17 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use the ARFX stock with a carbine spring and buffer, but you need to use a spacer to make up the extra length.  I believe it's RRA that sells a spacer for thier 9mm setup that works perfectly in this app and costs about $9.  I used it for a while on my carbine setup with no issues.  I eventually gave up on the ACE stock due to it's length.  It's solid as a rock and very light, I just wanted a shorter stock for moving while shooting.  

Here's how my rifle was setup with the ACE stock.  It's carbine gassed in a dissipator setup.

Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have the standard (A1 length, not Entry) ARFX stock on a couple of my carbines and I really like them –– very solid-feeling.

It uses a rifle (not carbine) receiver extension and, accordingly, a rifle buffer/spring. (The short Entry version uses a proprietary extension and a carbine buffer/spring, IIRC, but I have no first-hand experience with that model.)

ETA:  Found an old pic of one of them, from back during the ban era when it was still "neutered."

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/DSC00921.jpg

Thanks for the info!! Looks great!
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ARFX  Rifle length tube, spring and buffer.
ARFX-E Carbine spring and buffer and has it's own buffer tube that comes with it.
I've been seriously thinking of the ARFX-E with a spikes T2 Buffer and a 1" pad.

Thanks casper. I am thinking the shorter version withthat 1" just may be the ticket!
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can use the ARFX stock with a carbine spring and buffer, but you need to use a spacer to make up the extra length.  I believe it's RRA that sells a spacer for thier 9mm setup that works perfectly in this app and costs about $9.  I used it for a while on my carbine setup with no issues.  I eventually gave up on the ACE stock due to it's length.  It's solid as a rock and very light, I just wanted a shorter stock for moving while shooting.  

Here's how my rifle was setup with the ACE stock.  It's carbine gassed in a dissipator setup.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk58/kwrangln/ar16.jpg

Ya, I am diggin' the Skeleton look, and apparently has a rigid feel. Thanks for the pics. I'll be sure to post a few pics when completed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I love them i use them on all my builds.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The ARFX is A2 length which is a bit longer than I like and the ARFX-E is too short, so I use the ARFX-E with a DPMS Buttstock Extender:

Compared to an ARFX (top):
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The ARFX is A2 length which is a bit longer than I like and the ARFX-E is too short, so I use the ARFX-E with a DPMS Buttstock Extender:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/DPMShardware.jpg

Compared to an ARFX (top):
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Tail_of-two_Aces.jpg

Oh, Hell ya! I like the shorter version by far...now that you supplied that pic! That looks Su...weet!!!  You're a great salesman.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks great with the full length stock.  It could be worse, you could be one of those guys that puts a collapsible stock on a 20" barreled AR!  Now that looks silly!!
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:59:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It could be worse, you could be one of those guys that puts a collapsible stock on a 20" barreled AR!  Now that looks silly!!

I guess that you would not like the M-16A5 concept then, would you?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the entry as well as the standard. They are very comfortable, solid stocks. The long version is too long for my stubby arms, but I really like the entry with the 1 inch butt pad.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top