Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/5/2012 8:04:35 PM EDT
Hello. New to the forum and finally ready to build a custom AR. So many parts and manufacturers...and features! I'm trying to consider all aspects - so I posed the question to my friends - what is the most important feature on your AR? Hard to say just one thing. Is it comfort, accuracy, weight, quality, material (machined billet vs. forged, etc.) The rail, etc.

I appreciate the feedback. It will help me in building my ultimate AR.

Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome!

IMHO reliability is number 1.  None of what you listed means anything if it won't go "Bang" ever time you pull the trigger,
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Light weight, accuracy and, when properly maintained, reliability.

And modularity is a HUGE plus for the AR platform. It's basic design lends itself to limitless configurations.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Reliability and accuracy or what I strive for in my builds. To that end, the barrel and trigger are the two parts that will enhance or degrade those areas.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. Accuracy, reliability make sense. Barrel and trigger important. So are there companies that I should go to for a good barrel? Do any mainstream companies make a good barrel or do I need to go aftermarket?
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Accuracy, reliability make sense. Barrel and trigger important. So are there companies that I should go to for a good barrel? Do any mainstream companies make a good barrel or do I need to go aftermarket?

Check out the following site sponsors: Daniel Defense, BCM, Rainier Arms.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:32:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My first AR was a Daniel Defense and I LOVE it!
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 8:39:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The muzzle end is unobstructed.

JK

Reliability is number one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2012 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Reliability, portability, accuracy, modularity, and most people would be lying if they didn't add aesthetics to the list.

Of course the order of that list will be different for whatever the primary purpose of the rifle is.
Obviously your priorities will change between a sniper rifle, a match rifle and a rifle you'd be carrying long distances for hours on end.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Reliability
Weight
Accuracy
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:26:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Reliability.  Also deciding what you're going to use it for and building it to fit that purpose.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome!

IMHO reliability is number 1.  None of what you listed means anything if it won't go "Bang" ever time you pull the trigger,

I concur.
prib

Link Posted: 4/6/2012 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Reliability goes without saying and should be built into any rifle so I'm gonna go with lightweight on this one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I am working on my first build as well, so I am not experienced, but I think the trigger is at the top of the list.  I went with the Geissele 3Gun trigger.  Easy to install (I watched the video of Bill installing one on his website) and really smooth pull.  Not adjustable, and single stage, but really good quality.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 10:46:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I like that it's modular.  You can mix and match to your hearts content
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quality of the parts. I want to know that its going to go BOOM every time I pull the trigger. Do your research and some forum lurking, you'll be occupied for days with all you'll come up with.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 3:20:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Obviously no one wants an unreliable gun whether AR or ?. So quality parts. Reputable manufacturers. Barrel and trigger make the gun IMO. But, this goes hand in hand with what you are going to use the gun for. Some people will sacrifice a little accuracy for a chrome lined, ez to maintain and clean, longer lasting barrel, while others want extreme long range accuracy and will go with a match stainless barrel. You need to decide what the gun is going to be used for before decisions can be made. Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I feel the most important part of the AR15 is your "Brain". If your accuracy is a little off you can use your knowledge to adjust it, if you like your rifle and the accessories you put on it a couple of ounces here nor there will not mean much because its your opinion. If you have a FTE or FTF you can still use your knowledge to make it reliable.

When it comes to buying parts DO NOT get anything Blackthorn products you will be sorry!

Good luck and be warned of the BRD(Black Rifle Disease)

Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to AR15.com

If I get your question correctly I say the trigger / FCG and the rest of the the LPK should have quality in spec parts as the most important feature with a properly staked key on the BCG. As for add-on accessories I say my weaponlight and sling are the next most important accessories.

Otherwise I'd say the most important feature on my AR is the shooter .

But seriously, I consider the mileage and proven reliability on my main AR to be it's biggest attribute. I've had many accessories and optics come and go, but the core parts of my go-to gun have all been proven and well maintained and are trusted to make the gun go bang.

-JC
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#19]
That it goes """BANG"""every time I pull the trigger. So yes, reliability is foremost....<><....:)
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#20]
the #1 most importaint feature on my assemblies is the Bolt. Get a good one. Don't go cheap.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#21]
It's simple and lightweight. That's my favorite part.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Welcome!

I agree, but after that, all of the listed attributes are important to me.  Is there such thing as the "perfect" rifle, well scientifcally speaking I'd guess no., but for the individual, yes.  On my last build I about drove myself insane in trying to pick the very best of everything.  It doesn't work, unless you have Bill Gate's money and can afford to try everything.  Just stay with known quality parts, try your friend's guns, and you'll probably get it right.  The great thing about the AR platform, is you can always make changes, after the build, if something doesn't work for you.  I've had to make a couple myself, on this last gun, to get it "just right" for me.  What's "just right" for me, might be "totally wrong" for someone else.  That's the downside of a custom build.

FT
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:37:29 PM EDT
[#23]
its been said already but I'll echo it...reliability......lightweight is a big one for me too, Ive carried the weapon enough, that weight is a huge buying/building factor for me
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top