Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2012 3:11:54 PM EDT
Im trying to learn how to learn how to build an AR, im not quite sure where i should start, i know what all the parts and what they do but im just so overwhelmed with all the different possibilities and combinations. So can someone help me understand how to build a good, "budget" AR? or atleast help me understand how to?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 3:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]
ok well as far as learning how to build check out brownells videos as well as the tacked thread on here how to assemble your own...

as far as choosing your parts start with what barrel you want. this is one place i wouldn't be afriad to spend the extra couple bucks.

Try to get many of your parts from the same place to save on shipping.

Building your own upper can be more expensive than buying an assembled upper as you will need tools as well as that urge to upgrade each part.

The cheapest build I've seen so far is something like a dpms upper or psa midlength madness upper and an nfa poly lower...

decide on your budget and try to stick to it find a supplier that has some stuff in stock and put together a wish list do that on a few different sites.

If your in to charts and spreadsheets use excell.

ultimately a budget build can end up costing you more in the end as you will replace all the budget parts with ones you want.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Some questions to answer first;

1) what is the rifles intent, sniper, hunting, plinking, 3 gun

2) what is your max budget

3) what are 'must have' accessories that you just cant live without

4) how much do you want to build it? you can by complete uppers/lowers or stripped uppers/lowers

5) the more stripped, the more specialized tools you may need.
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Im willing to learn to build all that i have to, eventually id like to be able to completely build every single part of one.

Id probably use it for more of hunting and plinking. but id like it to be good at a little bit of everything i suppose. Nice and well rounded if you would say.

as far as max budget goes, Im only 18 so id really like it to be not too expensive, ill be buying it in pieces over the next year probably.

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#4]
By reading......start with the tacked thread and the posts on the following pages....then get back to us
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Youtube.

Check this out. It will give you the basics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j69mYZswtlU&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBA10F1D63D0178F2

There are lots of videos from these guys. It will help I think.

Tim
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the Brownell's "How to build an AR video series"
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Im willing to learn to build all that i have to, eventually id like to be able to completely build every single part of one.

Id probably use it for more of hunting and plinking. but id like it to be good at a little bit of everything i suppose. Nice and well rounded if you would say.

as far as max budget goes, Im only 18 so id really like it to be not too expensive, ill be buying it in pieces over the next year probably.

Thanks for all the help!

im 19 almost 20 and have two ARs a DPMS and my build. I recommend to Buy a compelete rifle for your first AR first because of warrenty and so you can learn the rifle faster since your build will take a year+ ( no it won't BRD) another thing you want to think about when your building is How your gonna get your lower reciever you have to be 21 to buy stripped or complete lowers the only exception is if a complete lower comes from the factory with "rifle only" on the reciever which costs extra otherwise I will IM another way because it should be kept low profile because its almost a loophole in the law. but if you can build some how its gonna be hard right now due to election year and panic buying. IF this is your first AR and want a "budget AR" go to a gun shop and find either a S&W sport or try and order a PSA rifle online thats my 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for all the help!

im 19 almost 20 and have two ARs a DPMS and my build. I recommend to Buy a compelete rifle for your first AR first because of warrenty and so you can learn the rifle faster since your build will take a year+ ( no it won't BRD) another thing you want to think about when your building is How your gonna get your lower reciever you have to be 21 to buy stripped or complete lowers the only exception is if a complete lower comes from the factory with "rifle only" on the reciever which costs extra otherwise I will IM another way because it should be kept low profile because its almost a loophole in the law. but if you can build some how its gonna be hard right now due to election year and panic buying. IF this is your first AR and want a "budget AR" go to a gun shop and find either a S&W sport or try and order a PSA rifle online thats my 2 cents

I sense a CoC number three....
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 10:24:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for all the help!

How about you IM me the awesome loophole too.

no loophole just a legal way around it. its called "gifting from a parent"
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Just buy a cheap ar15 go up and shoot and clean a few times and you will get a good understanding of the gun and how it works! Then you can buy and swap out new parts as you see fit...
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/20/2012 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My son and I are building one now and these guys are right on the money (sorry for the pun). He bought a complete stock with buffer and tube at a gun show for a very good price. I got a YHM stripped lower for a great price and had a lower parts kit given to me. That's a pretty good start, right? Well, I can buy a complete rifle kit (less lower) for only $35 more than the complete upper we want.
My advice is to do all the research you can on building but use the year to save your money and either buy a kit that comes with an assembled upper or simply buy a rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top