Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2013 8:32:13 PM EDT
What is the best kind of paint to fill pictograms on a spikes lower? I have some hobby paint that I think would work but if there is a better option please chime in.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Hobby paint will work fine. Nail polish works fine.

There are LOTS of youtube videos on the subject.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Ok that looks legit ill run with the stuff I have.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Was at a dealer a few days ago and he was using these Sharpies to fill in a Spike's Zombie.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 11:56:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was at a dealer a few days ago and he was using these Sharpies to fill in a Spike's Zombie.

ill have to check these out i have been using the testors paint marker and i like them  but a extra fine sharpie would be sweet
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Nail polish.  Impervious to most gun chemicals, removes easily with acetone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Take a look at "Lacquer Stik" products.  Not as fast or easy as paint, longer dry time, but very durable.  Made for color fill.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:05:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I used paint pens, similar to laquer sticks
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#9]
All work well for a safe queen.   But if you roll in the dirt you should use something like duracoat.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#10]
A tip from my old Gunsmith friend... RC model airplane "Dope" Paint.
It is not affected by most l solvents and oils!!
He would used for sight highlighting or blackening!!!
The only way to remove it after it drys....a good Paint Stripper!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#11]
If I use Testors what solvents should I avoid getting on the marks?
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 8:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I made an attempt at this last night with paint pens and nail polish and failed. I used a non acetone nail polish remover like most say to use and it would smear the white into the lower and the lower would look gray. It took an hour of scrubbing to get it all off the lower and by then the filled marks were shot.

What was your step by step to doing yours pictured above.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I made an attempt at this last night with paint pens and nail polish and failed. I used a non acetone nail polish remover like most say to use and it would smear the white into the lower and the lower would look gray. It took an hour of scrubbing to get it all off the lower and by then the filled marks were shot.

What was your step by step to doing yours pictured above.

me too.  I did my PWA pre-94 lower which has a sklightly polished finish so the pint wiped right off.  Tried to do my post-94 LRB which is perfect and damn I cannot get the white haze of the f%&*ing receiver.  I am in NY so this cannot be replaced!

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I use the Testors paint.

Link Posted: 2/8/2013 5:52:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Used Testers on these Umbrella Corp lowers. Was really easy and turned out great in my opinion.

Used Testers on this Noveske lower also

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top