Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/5/2013 4:59:59 PM EDT
Over the last couple of years I've built several AR's, each with different features but at the end of the day they were all about the same, 16" barrel, quad rail, blah, blah, blah.... When I started this build my intentions was not to build a MK12 copy. I was just building what I thought was the best features for a rifle from what I learned from the previous builds, turns out it's very similar to the MK12 SPR. My plans are to replace the upper and lower receiver with a matched billet set, either Seekins or CMT.

Upper:
AIM upper receiver
Wilson Combat match grade 1/8 twist SPR barrel
MI 15" Gen2 FF handguard
Rainier Mini comp
BCM charging handle
Zero Fail BCG

Lower:
Anderson Mfg
PSA LPK
Magpul grip and trigger guard
Ace skelton stock

Optics:
Nikon M223 3x12
Nikon mount
Omega Tactical 45* offset sights

I had ordered a 18" barrel from ICE Arms about 3 weeks ago and after I placed the order I started seeing all the threads about their service and ordered the Wilson Combat barrel so I could finish the build. Got the tracking number from ICE today that my barrel had shipped, so now Ill have a extra 18" ss match, rifle gas, pinned block barrel. Maybe this one needs a twin
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice looking rifle...
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice. Have you ever tried a Geissele trigger? They are well worth the invesment.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice. Have you ever tried a Geissele trigger? They are well worth the invesment.
View Quote

No, haven't tried one, but I have been kinda looking at different triggers and couldn't decide on a drop in like the POF or component type like the Geissele or others.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good.

For a budget trigger look at the geisele G2S or for a bit more the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Great looking build, nice job!

The SSA or SSA-E would be perfect for that rifle.

I have a Timney 3lb, Timney 4lb and Geissele SSA and the Geiselle is quickly becoming my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks awesome!  Please post a range report when you get the chance.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Geissele SSA-E on my SPR and love it. I use the SSA on my other ARs but the -E just screams SPR. Not only is it, imho, the best product on the market but Geissele is a class act company.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 12:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice boomstick!

Thanks for the non-cameraphone  pictures. I can actually see it.

and +1 on Geissele triggers.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking AR. I am working on my first build at the old age of 73. I am using a S.W.A.T billet multi cal. upper and lower. You may want to go to their sit and check it out. I will post a pictur of this one.
http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj594/AVG40/SWATSF-15_zpsfb199502.jpg
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 1:39:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice looking rifle.

I'm working on my first build; going to be very similar to yours.

I've been planning to order the 12" MI handguard, just been hoping to catch a sale.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Alright y'all talked me in to it.........(twisting my arm )

I order a Geissele SD-E trigger, for what ever reason I liked the looks of the flat trigger. Now to get it in, installed and to the range. I've got some 77gr loads already worked up to try.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Like your arm really needed twisting

Just curious why you chose the the SD-E over the SSA-E?  I've been wanting to try the SSA-E but I'm wondering about the SD-E now also.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Like your arm really needed twisting

Just curious why you chose the the SD-E over the SSA-E?  I've been wanting to try the SSA-E but I'm wondering about the SD-E now also.
View Quote

Only difference is the SD-E has a flat trigger and the SSA-E is curved.  No real reason other than the flat trigger is different from all the curved triggers that everyone else has.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#14]
nice! I just built a rifle using the same barrel, same if not close to the same scope, etc. I went with a 14" fortis REV but was thinking about the MI....

well done, nice looking build.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Great looking rifle! The build I just finished up is very similar to yours!

I do have a few questions for you though....
1. How do you like the M223 scope? I've been eyeballing one for a couple weeks now, but have yet to pull the trigger.
2. What is the honey combed thing on the end of the scope?
3. What bipod do you have installed there? Is it extendable to work with shooting from a sitting position?

Great pictures as well!
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great looking rifle! The build I just finished up is very similar to yours!

I do have a few questions for you though....
1. How do you like the M223 scope? I've been eyeballing one for a couple weeks now, but have yet to pull the trigger. Haven't used the scope yet, but it's very clear and I have a couple other Nikon scopes with the BDC and really like them.
2. What is the honey combed thing on the end of the scope? Not sure the exact name, but it kills any reflection from the glass
3. What bipod do you have installed there? Is it extendable to work with shooting from a sitting position? Bipod I bought at a gun show last weekend, I think it's made by NCStar, and it's extended and far as it will go. There are some that extend out a lot longer than this one.

Great pictures as well!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good looking AR. I am working on my first build at the old age of 73. I am using a S.W.A.T billet multi cal. upper and lower. You may want to go to their sit and check it out. I will post a pictur of this one.
<a href="http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/AVG40/media/SWATSF-15_zpsfb199502.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj594/AVG40/SWATSF-15_zpsfb199502.jpg</a>
View Quote

WOW, the anodising on that lower sucks! it's purle as a grape in the right light.
it's not even a hard coat.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Very nice build. I want to do a SPRish build eventually. I just built a 16" midlength rifle and used the MI gen2 SS in 12" length. I really like it and I think you will like the one on your rifle.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I looked at the SWAT lowers and the all the photos really scare me, the finish does look horrible.
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks good to me. I've got a rifle in progress that will be very similar.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Got the trigger in today, Geissele SD-E.

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:16:36 PM EDT
[#22]
i had no plans to build an spr until i seen yours mine will be pretty similar already picked up an anderson lower and ordered some parts.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#23]

Congrats on the Geissele trigger!  Now get out and shoot!

Range report expected.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:52:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Have you shot it yet? Any gas system problems? What lo profile gas block did you use? I am having some undergassing issues with mine, using the exact same barrel and am wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

Thanks,
Steve
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:07:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have you shot it yet? Any gas system problems? What lo profile gas block did you use? I am having some undergassing issues with mine, using the exact same barrel and am wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

Thanks,
Steve
View Quote

Have not had it to the range yet, planning on a trip week after next. Gas block is a YHM from Midway.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Rifle length gas system suggest H6 Buffer with colaspable stock

Link Posted: 11/25/2013 11:36:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Finally made it to the range today, temps about 40* and wind 6-8 mph. Very pleased, performed flawless. I'm not 100% sold on the stock, maybe looking for something else on Black Friday, but it will work just fine for now.

Sighted in the scope as well as the iron sights. Put probably 75 rounds down range total. 77gr HPBT over 8208XBR

5 rounds to the head and 5 to the chest - 100 yards.

Close up of the 5 shot group

10 shot group at 200 yards

close up of the 10 shot/200 yards

Now to give it a good cleaning and load more ammo for Wednesday.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 2:51:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I picked up a Magpul PRS stock on a Black Friday sale (along with enough parts for another build........no need to have a extra stock laying around )
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:12:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Looks great! That's some fine shooting for sure!

You'll really like the upgrade to the PRS stock. I have almost the exact same build as you with the PRS and it is very nice for some precision shooting.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Sweet setup and great shooting, how did you like the Geissele trigger. I bought the SSA-E awhile back and thought it was a fantastic improvement on the stock GI unit my LPK came with... My 100 yard groups were greatly improved.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sweet setup and great shooting, how did you like the Geissele trigger. I bought the SSA-E awhile back and thought it was a fantastic improvement on the stock GI unit my LPK came with... My 100 yard groups were greatly improved.
View Quote

I love the trigger, don't know how I ever used a standard trigger before bench shooting.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Got the PRS stock installed and a few rounds down range. Much better setup than with the Ace stock.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top