Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2014 5:34:22 PM EDT
Has anyone tried to 3d-print a collapsible stock? It seems a viable undertaking, considering the materials used in a simple a2 style collapsible. Sadly, my Google-Fu has failed me and standard members can only search through the past 30 days.

Honestly, I'm considering building a pistol lower with an arm brace similar to the SB-15, but I'd rather use the lower I already have- with a standard buffer tube. The problems are:
1)The SB-15 is expensive
2)The SB-15 doesn't appear to be able to fit on a standard buffer tube because of the track used for the stock length adjustments on a mil-spec buffer tube doesn't exist on the pistol buffer tube.

The good news is that the arm brace is simply a modified collapsible, so reinventing that modification while retaining the adjustibility would be simple, given an existing autocad file. Does anyone have, or know someone that has, any such files?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Try Google site:ar15.com 3D print stock

The arm brace is NOT just a modified collapsible AR stock.  It looks like a standard AR stock from the side.  A hard plastic arm brace may not fly w/ Tech Branch.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
No, 3D printing is what you use to finger fuck an idea before going into production.

As for actually using it?  It'll fall apart before you get to the range.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
an SB15 is authorized and cheap compared to unknown on a rifle buffer tube
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, 3D printing is what you use to finger fuck an idea before going into production.

View Quote

Come again?

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Come again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ieNQzmBaHs

BTDT.  Just because you can squeeze a few rounds off for the camera doesn't make it anything you'd want to use for any period of time.

I've 3D printed and installed a prototype handguard, doesn't mean it's anything anyone would want to use if they had a choice.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 2:15:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Careful, you'd be getting into NFA territory by using a rifle or other collapsible tube on a barrel under 16".

I've seen plenty of people wrap para-cord around their collapsible tubes, but that is a no go in the eyes of the ATF.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  Careful, you'd be getting into NFA territory by using a rifle or other collapsible tube on a barrel under 16".

I've seen plenty of people wrap para-cord around their collapsible tubes, but that is a no go in the eyes of the ATF.
View Quote

Got a source for that statement?
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Careful, you'd be getting into NFA territory by using a rifle or other collapsible tube on a barrel under 16".

Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they:
(a) Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or
(b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including – (1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and
(2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length.
Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Okay, so you're safe if you don't own a collapsible stock at all and never get your pistol near one or a riffle lower for that matter.  I may be leaning on the safe than sorry side here, but for $50, I'd just buy a pistol tube.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

Okay, so you're safe if you don't own a collapsible stock at all and never get your pistol near one or a riffle lower for that matter.  I may be leaning on the safe than sorry side here, but for $50, I'd just buy a pistol tube.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Held, a firearm, as defined by the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(3), is made when unassembled parts are placed in close proximity in such a way that they:
(a) Serve no useful purpose other than to make a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length (e.g., a receiver, an attachable shoulder stock, and barrel of less than 16 inches in length); or
(b) Convert a complete weapon into such an NFA firearm, including – (1) A pistol and attachable shoulder stock; and
(2) A rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length, and an attachable barrel of less than 16 inches in length.
Such weapons must be registered and are subject to all requirements of the NFA.

Here's BigBore's letter from 2004 - you can use any buffer tube you like:

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=483410
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
You can definitely use any tube you like and printing a Sig brace like stock seems really dumb when you can buy one that has ATF's approval.  Yours will not nor will it be as durable.  You are correct that the Sig brace will not fit on a standard carbine tube.  There are several pistol tubes to choose from and they are not expensive. [%|
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Careful, you'd be getting into NFA territory by using a rifle or other collapsible tube on a barrel under 16".

View Quote

Any receiver extension is fine.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 7:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
The Thorsden Buffer Tube Cover is BATFE approved and it is made exclusively to fit a standard carbine receiver extension.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top