Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2015 9:48:58 PM EDT
Unfortunately it's bolt action due to NYS Law.  But it's better than all the other options thanks to Crosshill Technologies

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry about your state's laws.
They look very nice, great paint job! How about a little detail on how you did the painting.
Who made the handguard on the white rifle? I can't tell how it's attached.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I love the "bolt Action" type AR but for a different reason. I can play with super reduced loads that would not operate a gas system and still get great accuracy and low recoil -- I have some physical problems that keep me from shooting ammo that might cause problems with my neck. I had to build mine about 10 years ago and had to make my parts so although my rifle works fine it is not as nice looking and clean as yours. I built two other "Bolt Action" rifles in smaller cartridges also and have fun shooting them also. Among other things, one of the best parts is not having to go far to get the brass.

This is my old Bolt Action with a newer handguard added just recently.

I'm not sure yo can see the charging handle in the photo but it's there.

I would love to build one or rebuild my existing one using the upper receivers and modified carriers with the charging hands that are available today but I don't thing I can afford it right now.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love the "bolt Action" type AR but for a different reason. I can play with super reduced loads that would not operate a gas system and still get great accuracy and low recoil -- I have some physical problems that keep me from shooting ammo that might cause problems with my neck. I had to build mine about 10 years ago and had to make my parts so although my rifle works fine it is not as nice looking and clean as yours. I built two other "Bolt Action" rifles in smaller cartridges also and have fun shooting them also. Among other things, one of the best parts is not having to go far to get the brass.

This is my old Bolt Action with a newer handguard added just recently.
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x205/22_boomer/100_7943_zpsgjj6ah8m.jpg
I'm not sure yo can see the charging handle in the photo but it's there.

I would love to build one or rebuild my existing one using the upper receivers and modified carriers with the charging hands that are available today but I don't thing I can afford it right now.
View Quote

Looks awesome
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it but if it were me I'd have something more of an intermediate range scope instead of the little dot things.  

I had similar thoughts on a 200-300 yard dedicated target rifle.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
So what if it's not a semi auto , I could hunt with that in my state once It was equipped with a scope  like previously mentioned....
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
So just an upper with no gas port/gas block/gas tube? I want to build a straight pull AR10 so i don't have to chase brass.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So just an upper with no gas port/gas block/gas tube? I want to build a straight pull AR10 so i don't have to chase brass.
View Quote

They make some pretty good brass catchers for $40.  Cheap ones are about $15.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#8]
No gas block or tube?  Hm, that leaves options open for a suppressor that's the entire length of the barrel under the hg...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Unfortunately it's bolt action due to NYS Law.  But it's better than all the other options thanks to Crosshill Technologies

View Quote

the NY Safe Act??
let me start by saying, what a bunch of morons there. i know, i lived there for 33years.
10rnd max in mag, hmmm, so i carry 20 mags instead of 5, oh wait, i am a punk/whack/criminal so perhaps i'll just load up with 20 30rnd mags today.

i didnt read all of that stupid Safe Act, does it simply allow the AR platform (nato) as-is as long as the action is manual bolt?
i saw a video on Safe Act, you can have the AR in semi-auto as long as some mods are made (non-std design, etc).

man, this stupidity just pisses me off.

i'll use my argument i always do, here goes:
so when will NYS put cars into the assault weapons category, cause crap, me being the punk/whack/criminal dont need a AR, just need to wait outside a school waiting for hundreds of people to exit and then mow them down with a car doing much more damage than the AR would. heck, these crazy butt-nuts usually kill themselves if they have a firearm, in a car they will try to run and in the process do more damage and hurt more people.

NYS is just full of moronic law makers !!!

sorry for that rant, i like your AR.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The top one is a great looking rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry about your state's laws.
They look very nice, great paint job! How about a little detail on how you did the painting.
Who made the handguard on the white rifle? I can't tell how it's attached.
View Quote

Thansk D-Tap.  Handguard is from Crosshill Technologies same place I bought the upper.  Its called the Ridge-Back Rifle length handguard.  I painted it using Duracoat (Copper) with a Paasche Air Brush.  I used painter's tape and cut the ridges with a razor blade slanted up against the rails.  Had to change the blade a couple of time to get a super clean sharp lines.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like it but if it were me I'd have something more of an intermediate range scope instead of the little dot things.  

View Quote

SteelonSteel.  I agree.  I have a Leupold Mark AR 3x9 for it.  Just did not take the picture with it.  How's this.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The top one is a great looking rifle.
View Quote

Thanks DrRemulak
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Is an Ares SCR legal?
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bolt action type AR's work really well for what you want. I love mine although I use reduced loads so the Muzzle velocity is between 2200fps and 2900fps with Hornady 35gr NTX and 40gr X-max. The recoil is light so I don't pop my neck. The action will easily take full charge loads with no worries about short stroking or over-gassing. Both of the OP's rifles are beauties and I really like the full rifle length version he did. My setup  is more home-made after i noticed the fellows over in the UK were doing it since semi-autos are a no-no over there. I asked them how they did it and went from there. Back then nobody really sold the type of parts needed so I had to do it myself. I wish I could afford the parts that the OP used -- they really look nice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#16]
pretty , pretty , pretty ,
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Green Mountain has chambered barrel blanks that would be perfect for anyone looking to build something like this.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar15-barrel-blanks/
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Green Mountain has chambered barrel blanks that would be perfect for anyone looking to build something like this.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar15-barrel-blanks/
View Quote

That is hard to pass up! I've got to put one of those barrels on my "want" list.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top