Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2015 4:34:22 PM EDT
Hey, so I'm going to be doing some work on my AR here soon and am curious about a few of these armorers vises. I currently rent our house and don't have anywhere to mount a normal bench vise. Do these like the Tipton gun vice or the wheeler armorers vice work for doing barrel and handguard changes? Seems like you need a pretty solid base for that so I'd rather not buy something and then have it not work out well. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks!

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ZX156224&name=WHEELER+AR+ARMORERS+VISE+&groupid=4311

http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-181181-Best-Gun-Vise/dp/B001AT3SCC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hunting-fishing&ie=UTF8&qid=1450382956&sr=1-1&keywords=tipton+best+gun+vise
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No those won't work, you will need a real vise like something from this thread. > Link.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No those won't work, you will need a real vise like something from this thread. > Link.
View Quote

Truth. They make a pretty solid platform for cleaning etc. but that's about it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I basically use mine to clean the rifles  and mount scopes.  But half the time, the simple MTM cleaning station works just as well for mounting scopes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah that i think is mainly used for cleaning.  At least that is what i use the tipton vice for.  It's plastic and will not hold the gun tight, especially for a barrel install.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Tipton best gun vise is for cleaning. Buy a quality bench vise (not the Chinese junk) and it will last you a lifetime.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Tipton best gun vise. I have the magazine adapters for both AR15 and AR10. These things are plastic and only good for cleaning. Even cleaning is not terrific with these. The stock clamps are also made of plastic and they flex just enough that if you have a tight patch/jag combination it will pop the gun loose sometimes.

I bought it on a Midway clearance but honestly if I was to do it over again I would not buy it. I have a 6" bench vise I need to mount someplace. I am considering mounting it to my gun bench and making my own gun vise that will clamp into the bench vise.

If you had the magazine block on the Tipton setup you could use it for installing triggers and such but any torque such as barrel nut the thing would break.

Buy yourself a bench vise mount it to a piece of wood and clamp it you your bench. That is not ideal but will get the job done.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#8]
So would something like the magpul BEV block be good to then put in the bench vise to do that work? I've seen the dpms upper block but I can't find it anywhere for a decent price.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top