Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/20/2009 10:32:50 AM EDT
Is there a suggested time/ number of rounds where gas rings should be replaced.  FYI, I am familiar with the test that involves standing the BCG on the bolt-face.

Thanks,
HE'D
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
FYI, I am familiar with the test that involves standing the BCG on the bolt-face.

Thanks,
HE'D

I'm not, what is that test?

And, how do you replace the gas rings?  Special tool?
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the test is you stand the bolt/carrier on end (extended) and if the carrier slides down its time to replace the rings
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I believe the test is you stand the bolt/carrier on end (extended) and if the carrier slides down its time to replace the rings

You are correct!!!

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 5:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#5]
How does one replace worn gas rings?
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Question Folks that's not being answered.  How many rounds  seem to wear these rings out?  I've been shooting my 14.5 Bushy for 2 1/2 years alot.  Many thousands of rounds.  I clean after every shooting session except in the field.  I keep the carbon off and a wet bolt.  All is stock save for the "O" ring around the extractor spring.  My little gun just keeps on running.  When should I change "apart from the carrier stand" or is that the ONLY criteria?
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
OK that's what I needed to hear.  I just didn't want to keep shooting until I started to get a gas malfunction.  I think I'll just change them at 3 year time frame and forget about round count.  Thanks again...........TinMan
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#11]
What facilitates premature wear on the gas rings? I've had this problem with my Match AR rifle and have had to replace the rings before the gun saw 2,000 rounds to get the gun to reliably cycle during rapid fire strings. What weight lube if any do you use? I use a light coating of the military stuff as its everywhere and cheaper. Do you guys do the Bolt stand up test on a dry bolt or lubed?
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/26/2009 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Just replace them when it fails stand up test. Dont read into it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 11:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just replace them when it fails stand up test. Dont read into it.

No offense but that is a broad reply, and I'll disagree.....It could be due to a bigger problem (at least if your going through them faster than you should be) that will only continue if not addressed. Chewing through gas rings like I've been doing does not prove anything other than I was stubborn and ignored the bigger problem. Correctly diagnosing the problem will prove to be better for the gun and the user down the road.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I use a dental pick.  works great. Just pry up , rotate a little, and slide off the bolt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a dental pick.  works great. Just pry up , rotate a little, and slide off the bolt.

I just replaced the ones in my bushmaster that I bought in 2001.  My extractor spring just failed after I'm estimating 25000-30000 rds so I figured that I would replace my gas rings also.  I could not believe how easy it was to do.  I just used my thumbnail to start one end of the ring gap over the edge of the bolt.  Took me all of 5 minutes to swap them out.  Now that I know how easy it was to do, I'll be swaping them out more often.  My rifle runs 100% unless I have a mag or ammo issue and did so after that many rds.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top