User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2013 2:34:25 PM EDT
Gun details:sa&a lower
Daniel defense 16 in barrel
Yhm free float rail
BCG is dpms

I've tried swapping this upper on a functioning lower, with a different BCG and still the same problem.Load a round, fire, ejects shell, then click, fail to freed.I have also upgraded the extractor with bcm parts and still same problem.Any help?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Check to see the carrier key is not loose on the bolt carrier.

If it is tighten and Use a punch to stake it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds to me like it's short stroking.What kind of gas block you running?
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Load a single round in the mag, chamber it, and fire it.

Does the bolt lock open on the empty mag?

If not, you probably have an under gassing problem.  Low gas pressure to the gas key.... is the gas key tight?  Are the gas rings on the bolt?  Someone just mount or remount the gas block/sight base?  Using light reloads?  Buffer too heavy?  buffer spring too stiff?

If the bolt locks open on an empty mag, try a different mag.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the advice!!!

It did it with 2 different bolts one was a BCM bcg so I know its not a bcg /gas key issue.It does a a spikes buffer, not sure which one.Could this casue it to not pick up the next round.It goes into battery after the first shoot just no ammo gets loaded.

Link Posted: 5/29/2013 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Check to see the carrier key is not loose on the bolt carrier.

If it is tighten and Use a punch to stake it.

My apologies if I come across one upping, but finding a staking tool is a better route.  Punches can be very hard them with the shock.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thanks for the advice!!!
It did it with 2 different bolts one was a BCM bcg so I know its not a bcg /gas key issue.It does a a spikes buffer, not sure which one.Could this casue it to not pick up the next round.It goes into battery after the first shoot just no ammo gets loaded.
Usually, the next round fails to chamber because the bolt did not travel far enough rearward to get behind the next round in the mag and push it into battery.  Usually, if the bolt doesn't travel rearward enough, there isn't enough gas pressure to push it back. This is the purpose of test firing the gun with only one round in the mag.  If the bolt travels back far enough to lock it open on an empty mag, that should also be far enough to grab the next round.  This is just a test to tell if you have enough gas pressure to force the bolt fully rearward.

This is not the only possibility but it is a very good first check.

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top