Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/10/2015 10:41:59 PM EDT
Finished a build recently and had a failure to feed problem.  In the course of troubleshooting, I swapped BCGs with a rifle that functions normally.  That took care of my failure to feed problem in the new build.  So I'm pretty sure the BCG is the problem.  The bad BCG will properly chamber and eject a single round, but will not chamber a new round from the magazine.  It will usually lock back after the last round from the magazine is fired.  I'd like to fix the bad BCG, but not sure where to start.  I've cleaned and lubed it properly.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to answer part of my own question.  I installed the wrong size buffer spring in my rifle.  Rifle length versus carbine length.  That was probably a signficant contributor to the failure to feed problem.  But that doesn't answer the question of why one BCG worked while the other didn't.  The only thing I can think is the older BCG has a little less friction due to wear than the new BCG, and that allowed it to overcome the extra resistance of the buffer spring.  Does that make any sense or do I have another problem to look for?
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 4:39:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the help.  Here's a picture of the end of the bolt.

Here is where the bolt sits after pulling it all the way back and locking it with the long buffer spring.

Here is where it sits with the proper length buffer spring

There was no O ring on the extractor spring.  And here's a picture of how the extractor sits in the bolt.

Sorry, I'm still trying to figure out how to post pictures.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 12:47:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Rifle spring in a carbine receiver extension with a carbine buffer should coil bind the spring. The older bcg may work despite the coil bind, but coil bind is terrible for the spring. The new bcg may not travel as far to the rear as the older one due to more friction of the new gas rings, or there could be a gas leak in the newer bcg.
I bet it works fine with the correct spring.

ETA: If you have a gas leak in the newer bcg, check for a loose gas key.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:00:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
KarlSG1,this has been a good learning event for me. I've built several rifles now and was getting a bit cocky about slapping them together. Nothing like trouble shooting a problem to force you to learn a lot more than you did before about what you're working with. I built another one today with a buddy and have added a lot more items to my step by step checklist.
I did check the gas key and it's tight.  The rifle spring was actually trying to climb around the end of the buffer.  I guess it had to go somewhere.  Stupid on my part not to notice.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:20:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Dano523, maybe these pictures will help...

I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I'll do that.  If it is a bad extractor do I need a new extractor or should I try a new extractor spring first.  Also, the current spring has a rubber plug inside it.  Not an O ring.  Is it required?
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 2:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top