Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/15/2011 8:52:34 AM EDT
Who makes your favorite hand guards and/or rail system for mounting optics, grips, etc.?

Poll added.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#1]
For a lower handguard, I love the CAA LHV-47.  It's well designed and rock solid.

When mounting optics in the forward position, I prefer an Ultimak tube in conjunction with the LHV-47.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I did not know magpul made ak hand guards. Ultimak is my favorite so far.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For a lower handguard, I love the CAA LHV-47.  It's well designed and rock solid.

When mounting optics in the forward position, I prefer an Ultimak tube in conjunction with the LHV-47.

Thanks for the info!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I did not know magpul made ak hand guards. Ultimak is my favorite so far.

You are quite right, Magpul got in there by mistake.  You wouldn't know how to edit the poll, would you?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 10:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 2/15/2011 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Nice looking combo.  Спасибо!
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For a lower handguard, I love the CAA LHV-47. It's well designed and rock solid.

Couldn't have said it better.

Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe you could change the Magpul choice to the Dog Leg AK rail. I think a lot of folks have tried and liked it. FYI, it's the rail that mounts above the dust cover.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had....

Ultimak

MI

CAA LHV47

For optics mounting I prefer the MI / US palm combo. I dislike the heat of the Ultimak plus the MI rail is real comfy with some nice rail covers. The standard grip is a little think and if you do run an Ultimak you are sure to get burnt fingers.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not a huge fan of quad-rails but I'm currently using FireField aluminum handguards on my Draco SBR because I wanted some mounting options for something different than my wood-and-steel guns, and the Ultimak quad rail wasn't going to happen at $300 for the set and the MI rail wasn't available at the time... The Firefield works well for my PA Mico and a VFG, which is all I need it to do. The Firefield isn't much different from the UTG quad rail in price or design, but the Firefield is noticeably lighter (which is why I chose it) and had a better finish. It heats up pretty bad after a couple mags, but with a VFG that doesn't really matter. The sight holds zero reliably while mounted on there so long as the handguards aren't removed, and does not co-witness (which I don't care for anyways). There are certainly much better options, but for a cheap "experimental" rail at less than half the cost of the MI, I think it's great. I had a coupon for the place I bought it from so my cost was like $40 or $50 shipped.

I don't have any experience with the others posted above, so I just thought I'd throw my $.02 in here on the Firefield.

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm not a huge fan of quad-rails but I'm currently using FireField aluminum handguards on my Draco SBR because I wanted some mounting options for something different than my wood-and-steel guns, and the Ultimak quad rail wasn't going to happen at $300 for the set and the MI rail wasn't available at the time... The Firefield works well for my PA Mico and a VFG, which is all I need it to do. The Firefield isn't much different from the UTG quad rail in price or design, but the Firefield is noticeably lighter (which is why I chose it) and had a better finish. It heats up pretty bad after a couple mags, but with a VFG that doesn't really matter. The sight holds zero reliably while mounted on there so long as the handguards aren't removed, and does not co-witness (which I don't care for anyways). There are certainly much better options, but for a cheap "experimental" rail at less than half the cost of the MI, I think it's great. I had a coupon for the place I bought it from so my cost was like $40 or $50 shipped.

I don't have any experience with the others posted above, so I just thought I'd throw my $.02 in here on the Firefield.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/3380/dsc05285u.jpg

I really wish people would stop posting SBR draco pics... Once day I'm going to break down and get one...
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
On my 74 Bulgarian I'm running the Ultimak forward optic mount with a Gen7 PA micro. For the hand guards I'm running the long, full length Ultimak. It's front heavy, but I like it just fne.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Forgot one... the SureFire M83. This one is now mounted on my SAR 1 and it fits much better.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Forgot one... the SureFire M83. This one is now mounted on my SAR 1 and it fits much better.
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p268/zukmon/106fr002.jpg

Very nice!
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 5:21:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Krebs makes the best rail system, bar none.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Krebs makes the best rail system, bar none.

It is nice and for their steep price they do not want you to forget it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
If you decide to get a MI rail check to see if you barrel is stepped. Mine is stepped down under the hand guards so MI is sending me a shim for it so I can zero my optic.
So far MI's customer service has been top notch. I was exchanging e-mails with Troy at like 9pm last night. He was responding so fast it was almost like I was texting him.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone know if the Primay Arms micro will work with MI's Aimpoint top cover??
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone know if the Primay Arms micro will work with MI's Aimpoint top cover??

The universal top cover will fit the fixed base version fine, but will not co-witness. The removable base version will fit the US palm T1 cover, but again won't co-witness.
Link Posted: 2/24/2011 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top