Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/17/2011 1:00:43 PM EDT
Specifically, I want to put a Streamlight TLR-1 on it.

Looking for something durable that will not alter the normal AK look too much.

I was looking at this:

http://www.tacticalaccessories.com/products/viewproduct.php?id_product=236

What do y'all think?

Opinions and alternatives are hereby solicited.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer handguards with heat shields myself.  I did this:  DIY AK light mount using Ergo rails on a K-Var handguard.  Ergo sells longer screws if you want to drill through the heat shield, I'm not seeing them on their website though.

I'm using the STK handguard now though.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a cheap copy of the CAA LHV47.

The LHV47 is good to go. I have no complaints. It stays cooler than the brittle plastic that tapco uses, even without a heat shield. I don't care for most of CAA's products, but this is an exception.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine, an Insight weaponlight on a CAA LHV-47 handguard:

Link Posted: 8/18/2011 6:16:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on your price range, and how you want it to look.  I like the Magpuls, for the money.

Posted on Benelli Forums, as mounted on a Steoger M2000.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Gotta say the more I look at it the more it grows on me.  Look like it sits low enough to mount a MapPul AFG2 and get your hand and a light a little farther forward.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The LHV47 is good to go. I have no complaints. It stays cooler than the brittle plastic that tapco uses, even without a heat shield. I don't care for most of CAA's products, but this is an exception.

The STK isn't a cheap copy at all, in fact it appears to be quite a bit tougher and it has a heat shield. I'm a long time fan of the LHV47 and recommend it often but the STK isn't inferior, it's well made and probably the toughest lower HG I've seen for an AK.

That being said I like the DBMG and the LHV47 as well, I think these are all good options for the AK. These days I lean toward the DBMG because all I really mount is a light and it works great for that.

Z
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The STK isn't a cheap copy at all, in fact it appears to be quite a bit tougher and it has a heat shield. I'm a long time fan of the LHV47 and recommend it often but the STK isn't inferior, it's well made and probably the toughest lower HG I've seen for an AK.

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Tactical/STK-X300-Stubby-PK01VS-Triangle.jpg

That being said I like the DBMG and the LHV47 as well, I think these are all good options for the AK. These days I lean toward the DBMG because all I really mount is a light and it works great for that.

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Tactical/DBMG-MountSLR105Vltor.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Tactical/DBMG-MountSGL31-X300.JPG

Z

Click the link the OP posted. It's not for STK. It's for Veriforce Tactical and it does look to be a cheap copy.

Here's a link to their section in the "industry"
http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_2/226_Veriforce_Tactical.html
You be the judge.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Your comments appeared to be a response to rightwing87's link to the STK handguards, not the OP's link.

Z
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I just picked up a used Surefire 6P with a tapeswitch.  Tossed in a LED lamp, mounted it using a KONG Mount up front - just behind the muzzle break and under the barrel.  It's not in the line of sight and being nice and up front, it gives a good pattern.

I had a TLR-1 mounted on an AR and the back switchplate broke where the spring steel holds the plate on.  They're great for pistols because the switchplate is protected by the trigger guard. I won't run them on long guns any more.

Link Posted: 8/19/2011 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#11]

This is almost EXACTLY what the Romanians I was working with in Afghanistan were using on their -74's, they had old school lasters and flashlights mounted on them, looks like it worked really well for them
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top