Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2013 7:08:19 PM EDT
I am really considering putting an acog on my vepr 308. I just wanted to see some acogs on some aks. Is it really worth doing that over a 1-4?

Thanks
Leland
Link Posted: 12/29/2013 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Scroll down to near the bottom of this thread to see an Acog on a Vepr:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/151508_Scope_options_for_a_Vepr_7_62x54R.html

That's an RS AK-303 base with AKOG upper mount.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool thank man.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Gabe Suarez had one back when he was pushing AKs.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I do know that I finally got off of my ass and added a side rail mount:

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 4:38:58 AM EDT
[#5]

" />

TA-33 on AKaRs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#6]
how are yall liking them? They look sweet with acogs on them
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

What brake is that and how much lighter is it vs. the AK74 brake?
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I made an informative post about the RS Regulate AK300 mount and ACOG adaptor months ago, I had mixed replies.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm taking the plunge myself, ordered an RSRegulate and got a good deal on a TA33 amber chevron in the EE

I blame RSRegulate and Riverine to be honest. I've spent too much time looking at various pics from two people I respect quite a bit...and I couldn't resist any longer. I've wanted one for a long time but had a hard time justifying the price compared to so many Russian optics but in the end I caved.

Thanks guys

Z
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm taking the plunge myself, ordered an RSRegulate and got a good deal on a TA33 amber chevron in the EE

I blame RSRegulate and Riverine to be honest. I've spent too much time looking at various pics from two people I respect quite a bit...and I couldn't resist any longer. I've wanted one for a long time but had a hard time justifying the price compared to so many Russian optics but in the end I caved.

Thanks guys

Z
View Quote

I look forward to hearing what you think about it Z. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the cheek weld and honestly want to go back to red dots on AK. Make sure to post pics of your setup!
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I can already tell by looking at it that I wish it was about an inch lower, but I shoot just fine with Obzor and NIT-A so I'll probably get used to it pretty quick. I hear you on getting used to the cheek/chin weld.  I came from the nose to charging handle school of Uncle Sam and it took me a while also. Over the years I think Kashtan ended up being my preferred height for AK optics.

Now I can say that I don't like long lengths of pull and find that I tend to shoot everything with a more head up position.  This has probably reduced my ability to shoot slow and steady from the bench but let me shoot more quickly in dynamic situations.

I will definitely post my thoughts on the TA33, as I said I'm really excited about it.

Z
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the kind words TX-Zen, my ACOG is currently mounted on my Colt 6920.  I'm not a fan of magnified optics on an AK and I'm plan on using the RS Mount/Aimpoint combo or keeping it real with the Rakurs.

I do look forward to your post, very professional and informative as always.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the kind words TX-Zen, my ACOG is currently mounted on my Colt 6920.  I'm not a fan of magnified optics on an AK and I'm plan on using the RS Mount/Aimpoint combo or keeping it real with the Rakurs.

I do look forward to your post, very professional and informative as always.
View Quote

Same here, I love Zs posts on AKs. Always informative.

I can say that I like the TA-33 as an optic, probably more than any other optic I have used to date including 1-4x scopes and Aimpoints/eotechs. I still really like Aimpoints, but the TA-33 is much more versatile as a combat optic I think. The ONLY problem I have with it is the height over bore on the AK due to the stupid carry handle mount. Trijicon really needs to get with the times and produce their optics with NO carry handle mount. No one uses them in this day and age, it's a very outdated system for optics.

Sorry, rant over
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I have my ta33-13 and 33-8 mounted on ARMS low Qd mount. It it lower than the original mount sitting on TWS dogtail rail.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:10:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quick update: I swapped out the AKARS for the RS AKOG low mount. I'm not sure if the RS akog low is any different from the gen 1 mount but it seems lower than the pics I have seen of older RS mounts. I'll get some pics up tonight. Anyhow, the RS is noticeably lower than the AKaRs, and I have to say it's pretty damn close to perfect for me. After my first go with the AKaRs, although it looked badass and seemed to hold zero, I couldn't get on board with the system and actually but the rifle and ACOG up for sale before deciding to try the RS. I'm glad I did, this set up is awesome and still preserves the traditional look of the AK.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is the RS AKOG and the 302 side mount:

" />

</a>" />

</a>" />

I since moved the ACOG one notch farther forward as well as removed the ultimak. I'm going to pick up the RS light mount and keep the traditional look.

The RS is very very light, and locks in hard and solid. Couldn't be happier!
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks great. I have to say that looks completely natural on there.

I'm still on the road in scenic West Texas but anxious to get home and fool with mine.

Z
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Agreed, it looks much more natural than a top rail IMO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Question: do the left side folders still fold with the optic rail mounted there? If so.. Double hotness.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Question: do the left side folders still fold with the optic rail mounted there? If so.. Double hotness.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 5:50:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Correct. It will fold with the TWS rail or AKaRS but not side mount.

I honestly wanted it to be able to fold and fire but it's really pointless.... Can't really look thru an ACOG with the stock folded ya know?
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#22]
TA-11e on a RSR AK-302.

Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I honestly wanted it to be able to fold and fire but it's really pointless.... Can't really look thru an ACOG with the stock folded ya know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

I was asking more from the stow-ability perspective rather than an eye relief one, but I hear ya. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Do Tri-Powers count?

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#25]
finally got around to taking pics of the acog low mount. in conjunction with rifle dynamics adapter i have a great cheek weld. this is a ta31 if a ta33 was used it would be even better.(cause it sits lower) in the first picture i'm trying to show you that i can see my iron sights great through the hole in the base of the acog the picture doesn't do it justice though as it looks cluttered in the picture. in real life you can see the front sight great i first put on the regular ak leaf sight and you can still use if it you smash your face into the stock (rifle dynamics stock raises cheek weld) but then i swapped it for the krebs rear peep sight and its a very clear sight picture now.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have my ta33-13 and 33-8 mounted on ARMS low Qd mount. It it lower than the original mount sitting on TWS dogtail rail.
View Quote

Do you have pics of this setup?

I'm curious to hear from you guys what the lowest ACOG setup is for an AK, using either the TWS dogleg or the RS series of side mounts.  Also, has anyone tried the TA26S-10?  It seems that this 1.5x mini-acog should get really low:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-acog-1-5x16-scope-circle-dot-reticle-w-special-ring-short-housing-amber-ring.html

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:53:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Here is the RS AKOG and the 302 side mount:

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/Mobile%20Uploads/8C34C87A-BC3E-4949-B85E-7DC7F08A931C.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/Mobile%20Uploads/805B3EAD-8ACB-4D63-A645-CCCD0294CBF6.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/u510/davegibbs45/Mobile%20Uploads/D88F372F-E607-491B-B09F-E82B5B0FFB84.jpg</a>" />

I since moved the ACOG one notch farther forward as well as removed the ultimak. I'm going to pick up the RS light mount and keep the traditional look.

The RS is very very light, and locks in hard and solid. Couldn't be happier!
View Quote

Do you think it's possible to get a lower 1/3 (or 1/5) cowitness with this setup using the RD-M4 adapter?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#28]
What it is that you are looking to accomplish?   Lowest mount for your cheekweld?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What it is that you are looking to accomplish?   Lowest mount for your cheekweld?
View Quote

Yes, trying to get a cheekweld like I do with an aimpoint micro on the TWS dogleg rail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Whats the height difference between between the low mount and the regular one? Pics If yall have them. I just bought the regular one I think from brownells for my vepr. I am getting more of a jaw weld than a cheek weld. I'll post some pics of mine a little bit later.

Thanks
Leland
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Whats the height difference between between the low mount and the regular one? Pics If yall have them. I just bought the regular one I think from brownells for my vepr. I am getting more of a jaw weld than a cheek weld. I'll post some pics of mine a little bit later.

Thanks
Leland
View Quote

I got mine from amazon and it was advertised as the "akog low mount". With my TA-33 in the 2nd hole from the back I get a midcheek weld. What kind of ACOG are you using? Some seem to sit a little lower than others.

I'll get some more pictures up later today
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#32]
It's as good cheekweld as aimpoiny t-1 I have mounted on ARM QD low mount.   Current set up gives me upper jaw weld. Better than the original mount came with.  Ive never used or seen RS Regulate ACOG mount so I cannot compare it with my current set up. Send me your email address so I can send you pictures. My set up has worked well - I am hitting 8 inch steel at 200yd and have not had any issues acquiring consistent jaw weld and hitting the target
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 2:18:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm not sure what the height difference is or if it's even 2 different mounts. May be the same one. Here is a few pics if the final setup:

" />

" />

" />

" />
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#34]

What's the eye relief on your particular model of ACOG? Do you have to adjust your head position backward a bit to compensate?
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#36]
At first I couldn't find the TA31H-G used so I picked up a TA33-8 with amber chevron for a great price and tried that out. I ran into a bit of an issue that needs some work so I couldn't do much with it these past few weeks. In the meantime I went ahead and bought a new TA31H-G and so far am really really impressed with it. It's heavier than the TA33 but not overly so.

When matched up to the AKOG rail I think the TA31 is fantastic. I haven't had a chance to hit the range yet but will probably soon. I can't say enough how impressed with it, I've always known ACOG's were high quality but actually owning one is more impressive than I thought it would be. The green horseshoe reticule is perfect for me. Exactly what I wanted.

This will be the home for the TA31, SGL31-44. Great combo for me.

TA33-8 on the AK105. This is a tight little package too...very handy and agile.

I actually find the amber chevron to be too small which is probably a result of so many years of the PSO and the Kashtan. I just prefer a larger chevron, though I really like the quality of the amber color on the TA33.

Also picked up an RMR08 with green triangle mostly because I have been so impressed with Obzor. This is a neat little optic but it really suffers when shooting from a darker position into a brighter one. Outside it's great but from under cover it can be next to useless depending on the lighting. Obzor actually does considerably better in this regard.

Z
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Z
View Quote

Man... it doesn't get much better than this. The only optic setup that could compete would be TWS (or Russian alternative) with Elcan SpecterDR.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:10:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Man... it doesn't get much better than this. The only optic setup that could compete would be TWS (or Russian alternative) with Elcan SpecterDR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/Optics/TA33-8_AKOG_AK105_Left01.JPG

Z

I agree...if only the Elcan wasn't 2 grand (and if it had the green horse shoe reticule). That would be an amazing combo indeed

Z
Link Posted: 2/10/2014 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#39]
*edit: see below*
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 3:24:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Tx-zen, what rail is that and where did you buy it?

Also is there any height difference between the TA-31 and TA-33?  I thought the 33 sat lower but it doesnt appear so.  Did you notice any POI shift with the lack of cheek support?
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I want to see, but all I see is an X.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Sorry. PA 2.5x on my M10-545. Stock is the Archangel, which is great for this application.

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Hows the Archangel stock? I've had my eye on it since TFB reported on it last year. anyway to put a cleaning kit in it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Hows the Archangel stock? I've had my eye on it since TFB reported on it last year. anyway to put a cleaning kit in it?
View Quote

I would say "crude but effective". Fit is tricky, and the extending mechanisms are not smooth. But they do work in the end, and it gets you a fast repositioning for your cheek (especially trying to get the cheek riser back down). It's also rather comfy with the removable buttpad.

No way to put a cleaning kit in it that I could see.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sorry. PA 2.5x on my M10-545. Stock is the Archangel, which is great for this application.

http://i.imgur.com/E4hdfpa.jpg
View Quote

Nice!

I kept coming back to this thread to see the pics and never clicked that this was posted by you.

<-------me
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 8:08:43 AM EDT
[#46]
It's a good setup, especially since the eye relief is just right for my purposes. Also like how my peep sight fits right under the optic; it's sometimes hard to get usable BUIS when you start doing non-side-rail optics. I don't want to say it's better than an ACOG, but it's one of the nicer alternatives out there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What's the eye relief on your particular model of ACOG? Do you have to adjust your head position backward a bit to compensate?
View All Quotes

Eye relief and exit pupil are freaking awesome on the ta33. The useable eye box is huge. It's the T-1 of acogs. It does have a narrow field of view, HOWEVER, its such a small optic that if you use it like a red dot and not like a bench scope, its so freaking easy to use from 5 yards to 300 yards. It doesn't block your view like other scopes causing you to lose situational awareness.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top