Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:15:53 AM EDT
I recently picked up some Winchester 123gr SP for the AK, plan on using it for some deer hunting this fall.  I don't anticipate any shots farther than 75 yards (thick wooded area).  What kind of luck have you guys had using 7.62 x 39 soft points on deer?
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently picked up some Winchester 123gr SP for the AK, plan on using it for some deer hunting this fall.  I don't anticipate any shots farther than 75 yards (thick wooded area).  What kind of luck have you guys had using 7.62 x 39 soft points on deer?

That round has been mine and my father's go to round. Deer usually dont even run after being shot w/ Win SP   This year we are going to go w/ the new Corbon DPX.  Thought it would be fun using something new.

This year my Krink 5.45 will pop its cherry and i want another kill w/ our NHM-91 using the Corbon
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 9:08:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I've used wolf hps the last two years...  Just gotta place em well.  Both of these were around 60 yards away...

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen three whitetail does culled with the old red  and white box Federal 7.62x39 ammo from an SKS. All three were heart/lung area hits, and all three dropped within 10-25 yds.  So I'd say the Federal ammo works fine as well.

FN in MT
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Works well here!
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot a large 8 point in the chest with wolf hp once. I will never hunt with it again. It did not tumble, it did not expand, it didn't even fragment at 30 yards. It just punched a 30 cal. hole in the deer from its chest to its ass. Made a mess inside but the deer suffered badly. However, I think you would be fine with the winchester power points. I killed a deer with win. power points this year, in a .308 bolt gun. It expanded well and the deer died quickly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#6]
lol, did u shoot it from the front?
Quoted:
. It just punched a 30 cal. hole in the deer from its chest to its ass. .

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I did lol. It was about to run and I decided I wanted to kill it pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#9]
basically, the 7.62x39 is a hunting round that is in the class of the venerable 35 Remington.. and the famous 30 -30 . They all are great whitetail rounds. Good for brush guns on still-hunts, creeping slowly in the Adirondacks. I have always said to peers that a properly setup SKS was the perfect deer rifle in the Adirondack Mtns.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I would feel fine shooting a deer with a Winchester Power point. But the Barnual hunting rounds and anything wolf is a joke for hunting. Especially on big WV whitetail.
Link Posted: 10/12/2009 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag for pic of hunter with AK and real tree Shemagh.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I've not tried the SP's, but have killed several with Wolf HP's.  All within 75 yds.  Eight in one season including a nice 9pt buck.  All died quickly with massive trauma.  I guess it depends on who you ask.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you guys have big deer in TN like we do in WV? Just wondering because I see a lot of guys from the south post pictures and their deer are tiny. I would feel ok shooting most of the deer I see from down south with a .22 magnum. I plan on taking some doe this year with some of my evil black guns. The AR will get a chance using winchester power points, my 74 maybe....I will probably take another one with my dads mak90 again. I leave the buck hunting to my remington 700 sps tactical.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#14]
It kills.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#15]
once killed 3 does (doe day) in aprox 1min. they where good size too.
3 neck shots = 3 dead doe  at location shot ( Just fell over dead)
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Using a inferior HP, such as Wolf, is the same as me killing deer w/ 5.45 surplus.   Granted that the X39 has more kinetic energy, the wounds are par.  These rounds are far from the best choice for your hunt.  That said, i feel that the HP wolf will do the job w/ good shot placement w/o a hitch; and the same goes for surplus 5.45.

Win SP = more accurate, reliable grouping and superior wound ballistics   vs    Wolf HP

All depends on the hunter, his/her abilities and limitations.  Hell, i plan on killing a deer this year w/ my krink using 5.45 surplus
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Dpx is the only premium .310 bullet I know of that is readily available in loaded form.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to hunt this season with my Yugo underfolder. It has displayed exceptional accuracy, and I actually can get a good cheekweld. It's quite handy with the 20 round mags, amd I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 6:52:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Dpx is the only premium .310 bullet I know of that is readily available in loaded form.

Agreed!!!   Though, I do not have the experience in grouping or accuracy for this ammo.  This year will be different though.  Either me or a Friend (here) will post pix of a kill w/ an AK using Dpx (Corbon).

Edit:  Wanted to add that our deer here are bout the same as Greg_W's size deer.  Nice kills BTW
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I shot a large 8 point in the chest with wolf hp once. I will never hunt with it again. It did not tumble, it did not expand, it didn't even fragment at 30 yards. It just punched a 30 cal. hole in the deer from its chest to its ass. Made a mess inside but the deer suffered badly. However, I think you would be fine with the winchester power points. I killed a deer with win. power points this year, in a .308 bolt gun. It expanded well and the deer died quickly.

Was it a Wolf Military Classic HP or a Wolf Performance HP?  The WPHP is known to act like FMJ, but the WMCHP is supposed to fragment pretty reliably.

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#7.62x39

Quoted:

I was under the impression that the Winchester Super-X was the correct diameter as well?  I tried some Remington soft point (only thing available locally) and it was terribly inaccurate, I measured it at .308 so I'm sure that didn't help.  But the two boxes of Winchester (one really old white and orange, one new silver box) I have both measure around .310 or .311 inches.

ETA: the four deer I have taken with my AK, three were with Super-X (one shot stop) and one was with the inaccurate Remington SP (all I could get that first year) and it took three shots (shoulder blade, neck, and finally eye to finish it off).  The wound profiles looked like FMJ.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I plan to use mine with WMCHP on two doe tags I have this year.  I will let you know how it goes.  Deer rifle season opens 3 weeks from this Friday.  I may try to get some Winchester ammo if I get to a gunstore that has it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Have a buddy that routinely takes an SKS paratrooper out during rifle season in Nebraska.  Always has meat in the freezer.  Uses Remmy core-lokt.

Granted, he's technically not using an AK, but the round and ballistics don't really change, given like ammo and barrel length.

It's more or less a .30-30 equivalent, give or take.  And I'm pretty sure we're all aware of that round's history with successful game harvest.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I've taken deer with just about everything you can name over the years.AR-15,H&K 33,M1A,AK"s,Valmets,Bow,Truck etc.They all work just fine,except it's hard on the truck grill.I just pick the weapon for the terrain I am in.Brushy and or close ranges or long distances,or paved.It's all good.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Should work fine, there is also a nosler ballistic tip round available commercially.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top