BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2010 6:29:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is some real Russian stuff I bought, this is the look I prefer.  Actual "red" doesn't look right to me at all.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Generally, that "Russian red" term was a bit of a perversion by a vendor to describe what they believed was the representational color of the refinished wood furniture of rifles they sell/were selling.  Unfortunately, the "red" is just that - almost way too red.  It seems to have carried over for folks that make their own color mixture to emulate the Russian reddish-brown.  However, the refinishes that most do also seem to turn out too bright with the red.  If one looks at the original era Russian wood furniture colors, it's fairly apparent there weren't any bright red colors - a lot of medium to dark reddish-browns (often from the Tula factory) along with the honey brown-colored furniture (often from the Ishevsk factory).  

In short, the "Russian red" is used to not really describe that very distant color representation of Russian furniture, but rather a unique color in itself, nowadays.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 8:31:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most people who have described their furniture as "Russian Red" tend to have stock that are WAY too bright and WAY too red.

Take a look at this to see what it SHOULD look like.

+1.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:20:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Real Soviet wood runs from a light dirty Orange to a medium Red-Orange, to a dark Red-Brown.

A good site to see the real stuff is the above posted link and here:

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/default.html

Also note that photos of reddish woods tend to look more red than they really are.

Here's my Dark Red AK-74.  Again, the photos look redder than they are:

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In many discussions on furniture, the term "red" is thrown around.  I've noticed that there are a variety of reds ranging from dark orange to almost burgundy to plum.  So my question is this... when you say you like red furniture, what shade of red do you prefer?  And feel free to post pics of your Red rifle if you have one.

(I'll try to find a few images and turn this into a poll)

why are you planning on doing a red in the new wood?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#7]

just depends on what shade you like
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 10:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
the thought has been kicked around.. along with a half dozen other colors and combinations.  I just felt we should have better understanding of what "red" actually is before making a decision on it.

thats cool. like to see more colors in the new wood. by the way i own your wood and its a excellent product.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Rit dye and alcohol method that used to be on the Ironwood site with a light topcoat of pecan stain.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Minwax Red Oak, and semi-gloss sparurethane spray-on.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep in Mind, the REAL Russian/Soviet red is all based on the shellac used. Most tend to go from orange - brown - red, and in any combination of the three.

I personally like this shade.

A noble question to ask, as I assume its for future products. However its like asking, blond, brunette, or redhead?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked this up and really like the red. I haven't decided if I should get alternate furniture but this will do for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/baztek/AR-15/IMG_0868.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v336/baztek/AR-15/IMG_0870.jpg
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:18:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Keep in Mind, the REAL Russian/Soviet red is all based on the shellac used. Most tend to go from orange - brown - red, and in any combination of the three.

+1

Russian Laminate

Z
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#16]
i tend to like the orange brown colors
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
People have a tendency to attempt a replication of Soviet wood furniture coloration, but very very rarely succeed. For me, red doesn't mean a single thing unless it is real.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#18]
While your at  trying to get the stain right, how about making the palm swell more pronounced? Get the stain right and re-do the palm swell and I'll be your next buyer!
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 4:10:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 4:52:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I agree with most here that many people's attempts are too RED.

I alos agree tha Tantal's sight has some very good pictures showing the variations in color of the real deal, ranging from a honey brown so a deep burgandy.  I tend to waffle back and forth on what I find most attractive.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer "Russian Red" which isn't really red at all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#22]
If Tapco offered '74 wood like that posted above with the palm swells and lightening cuts, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#23]
If taking suggestion for future products I'll make a couple.  In order of preference:

1.  Please consider offering a Warsaw length buttstock.

2.  If you want to develop a red that is fine and if done well I'm sure it'll sell.  And while I'm sure the poly finish is fine and cost effective, I'd really like you to consider offering an unfinished option, both in laminate and solid birch, for those that like doing our own thing.  I would like the option of doing my own technique and I persoanlly have a strong dislike of polyurethane on rifles

3.  Please consider changing the lower HG bulge profile to more closely replicate the AK pattern.  The 74 style with the sharply defined bulges, like posted above by TX-zen and phreakmode would be nice in addition to the older AKM style.

4.  Offer the pieces individually as well as packages.  Some of us may only want the HGs for a folder project.  Some of us may not care for the PG and only need the HG and buttstocks.

5.  Not huge on my list, but some have expressed a disappointment that the buttstock doesn't have provisions for the cleaning kit.  I don't know how your profile compares to the milsurp buttplates
    but if it would work, it would be nice to have the internal cavity milled, so the purchaser could swap on a milsurp plate.  Might not be cost effective though, IDK.  Again, this isn't a deal breaker for me but it would be a plus.

I'm not trying to knock your current product, and I'm glad to see more options available for the AK.  I'm just throwing out some ideas for you to consider, that from my perspective at least, would make me more interested.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]
My contributions:

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If taking suggestion for future products I'll make a couple.  In order of preference:

2.  If you want to develop a red that is fine and if done well I'm sure it'll sell.  And while I'm sure the poly finish is fine and cost effective, I'd really like you to consider offering an unfinished option, both in laminate and solid birch, for those that like doing our own thing.  I would like the option of doing my own technique and I persoanlly have a strong dislike of polyurethane on rifles

3.  Please consider changing the lower HG bulge profile to more closely replicate the AK pattern.  The 74 style with the sharply defined bulges, like posted above by TX-zen and phreakmode would be nice in addition to the older AKM style.

4.  Offer the pieces individually as well as packages.  Some of us may only want the HGs for a folder project.  Some of us may not care for the PG and only need the HG and buttstocks.

5.  Not huge on my list, but some have expressed a disappointment that the buttstock doesn't have provisions for the cleaning kit.  I don't know how your profile compares to the milsurp buttplates
    but if it would work, it would be nice to have the internal cavity milled, so the purchaser could swap on a milsurp plate.  Might not be cost effective though, IDK.  Again, this isn't a deal breaker for me but it would be a plus.

I'm not trying to knock your current product, and I'm glad to see more options available for the AK.  I'm just throwing out some ideas for you to consider, that from my perspective at least, would make me more interested.

Ditto what he said.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Always go for the real Russian laminate!

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#29]
If you're going to do it, do it right. Nothing else looks like amber shellac and that's exactly what you're looking at on these beautiful Russian laminate sets. You make authentic looking AK47/74 stock sets and they will sell! I've always thought the Chinese furniture looks great as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you're going to do it, do it right. Nothing else looks like amber shellac and that's exactly what you're looking at on these beautiful Russian laminate sets. You make authentic looking AK47/74 stock sets and they will sell! I've always thought the Chinese furniture looks great as well.

There is your answer.  If trying to replicate Russian furniture, skip the poly and use shellac.  I haven't found another finish with the same properties of; ease of application, the proper look, and ease of repair when/if needed.  In fact that is one of the reasons I requested an unfinished option in my earlier post.
Link Posted: 6/22/2010 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#31]
I use amber shellac tinted with Iodine a 12/1 ratio for chinese orange(12 teaspoons of shellac to 1 teaspoon of iodine.)
I use this same  measurement for Egyptian furniture which tends to run darker ...so it gives me a brownish amber tint. and matches factory pretty close.
I use a 8/4 ratio to match the russian color...remember with shellac it deepens in color with each coat.
chinese and Egyptian HG's...

my version of russian "red"...on my 74(shellac on stripped bulgy wood)
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I use amber shellac tinted with Iodine a 12/1 ratio for chinese orange(12 teaspoons of shellac to 1 teaspoon of iodine.)

I use this same  measurement for Egyptian furniture which tends to run darker ...so it gives me a brownish amber tint. and matches factory pretty close.

I use a 8/4 ratio to match the russian color...remember with shellac it deepens in color with each coat.

chinese and Egyptian HG's...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/gunwolf/002-6.jpg

my version of russian "red"...on my 74(shellac on stripped bulgy wood)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/gunwolf/001-39.jpg

This is almost exactly what I do except that I use garnet shellac for Russian red. Everything else though is the same with the amber shellac. The problem I see with other people's examples is that they use stains instead of shellac.

Link Posted: 6/23/2010 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#33]
i think all those colors are ugly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Zinsser(Bullseye)amber shellac is the best I've used by far! If you want, you can add a bit of iodine for the Russian look but I doubt you'll want to! Most major home improvement stores carry it and it's all I use on my nagants and AK's. Beautiful stuff!
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Am I the only one that depises the the term "russian red"? I think it is over used and misrepresented with stained red non laminated birch wood. The only Authentic look is Shellac Which there are several different tints Garnet being one of them and Corect me if I am wrong but I beleive the wood the russians used was Laminated birch. That combination is what gives that Famous look that we all love so much and try to duplicate which it can be done. with the right color combo of shellac and the right laminate wood.

But it is not Just Red! as others have posted it can be reddish, honey colored with some orange there are serveral different color combos that we have seen.

Sorry hate to run on I just really dont like everything always being called "russian red!"!
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#36]
When I think of "Russian red", the first and only thing that comes to mind are some of those beautiful old Mosins with the shiney, dark red stained stocks. Now that's Russian red!
Link Posted: 6/23/2010 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/24/2010 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#38]
How much is your set of black/grey laminate?  How many US parts?
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 3:59:07 AM EDT
[#39]
A full furniture set counts as three US parts; buttstock, PG, and HGs.  Not sure of price but they can be found on Tapco's website.
Link Posted: 6/25/2010 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All excellent suggestions.  I'm a little surprised that I completely agree with a post that long.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top