Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2010 2:01:57 PM EDT
Looking for suggestions on who I can send an SGL-31 to in order to have a side-folder installed.  Looking for somebody not backlogged for the next three years but can do decent work.  Not really looking for a hack that's learning to do this for the first time in his garage as this isn't a project, it's a top-of-the-line Arsenal.  Suggestions anybody?
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought of doing this also, and I believe I would send it out to Troy at Inrange. His reputation is tops.

By the way I got a real deal Russian poly folder inbound that I can't do anything with at the moment if you are interested, would sure go nice with a 31
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:07:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Already have a Russian folding set but thanks for the offer.  I've heard of Troy at In Range.  I'll see if I can fire a call to him and get a quote.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Troy
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've sent my SGL31-44 off to Mario at Piece of History to have it converted to a 5.5mm folder, but he may not send it back before the end of the year. I'm not in a huge hurry plus I want Russian selector markings engraved so I'm ok with the wait on this one.

My 31-61 was converted by Keith at Tac47industries and I'm happy with it, though to be honest he's not a collector grade AK builder and doesn't want to be. He specializes in S12 conversions and turns out some really nice stuff but he also knows his way around an AK and has done several side folder conversions for me and friends.

Just to be clear he's become a close friend of mine and we go shooting all the time, our friendship originally stemmed from the work he did on my S12 a few years ago. If you're looking for a Ted Marshal guy to handle every collector level detail of a clone he's not the one you're after, but if you want something done right that's functional like it's supposed to be then maybe give him a buzz.  

And it's not actually AK100 series folding stocks, it's AK74M series folding stocks. The 100 series is based on the 74M and came after the 74M did

Both 5.5mm conversions:

Z
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#5]
rifle dynamics- Fuller top notch and hes done a couple for me!
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Just out of curiosity, what is the going rate for the folder conversion?  Just talking doing the work, and not including the parts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never paid less than $250 and haven't heard of anyone doing it for less, but I don't keep up with the prices of various builders out there.

Z
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#8]
+2  For Troy.  I can't recall what he charged but I had him do the selector marks too and refinish the whole gun so it's uniform.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I talked to Troy and he can handle it for $175, including refinishing the whole rifle.  Unfortunately, he's backlogged for the next 2-3 months.  But I know the guy is top notch and does excellent work.  I sent my SLR-105 to Mike at The Firing Line a few years back and he did great work but he hasn't called me back yet.  I've had a lot of trouble reaching people via phone.  I talked to the guy at Arizona Response Systems and he said he could do it for $750.  Probably not gonna happen.  I'll continue the search.  My rifle should be in by Monday.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
$750? Is a Russian 5.5mm triangle folder included?

At $175, I think I'd be getting on that backlog.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
At $175, I think I'd be getting on that backlog.

This.  If I had another SGL to play with while he had mine, I'd ship it to him right now for $175 installation and refinishing.  I think he's going to have a 2-year backlog pretty soon, now that you've posted his price.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine is at Troy's now.  Don't know when I will get it back.  He had an 8 week backlog when I sent it last month.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mine is at Troy's now.  Don't know when I will get it back.  He had an 8 week backlog when I sent it last month.

Hey Citadel, why do I get the feeling you're having a replacement Russian stock installed on your rifle that exactly matches one you sold me?  By the way, thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Mike from The Firing Line called me back today and I spoke with him for a bit.  He did my SLR-105 a few years ago and did an excellent job.  He's a bit more than Troy but he said he'll have it back to me in under two weeks.  Looks like this is where it's going.  I'll be sure to post some pics soon.  This pretty much completes the AK collection: AKM, AKMS, AKS-74, AKS-74U and finally an AK-74M.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#15]
So what's the best place to get a complete polymer folding stock parts set?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So what's the best place to get a complete polymer folding stock parts set?

Monitor the EE daily.  Sooner or later, one will come up.  Or a triangle kit will come up and you can procure just the stock from K-VAR.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top