Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/13/2010 8:06:59 AM EDT
Thanks to my friend Voron on theakforum.net I recently acquired a vintage PSO-1 scope with an Izhmash logo. He and Marco from Behind The Lines estimate it to be a mid 80's production scope and while it's beat to hell the optics are extremely clear, it zeroed nice and tight and stays put securely when mounted, no adjustment needed.

Interesting to me is that the optical quality between the PSO and the Chinese 4x24 that was imported with the NDM86 is remarkably similar, both are better than the civilian POSP 4x24 that I have (which isn't bad, just not quite as good as these) and way better than my old Romanian LPS 4x24 issued with the PSL/Romak rifle. The Chinese reticule pattern is the same as the PSO and overall construction seems to be nearly the same, it's evident the Chinese copied the PSO in detail. Both also have working IR detectors and while the day of their usefulness has come and gone, it's still pretty cool to have scopes with that feature.

NDM86 in 54r with PSO-1 4x24

Older photo with the Chinese 4x24

Comparison:

Z
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Good stuff!  The NDM-86 (Type 79) and accessories were definately modeled after an early SVD.  It's interesting to see the old Russian stuff and compare them to the Chinese.  Great post!
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Very nice as always TX.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
You, sir, are a bastard and I hate you. Nice NDM and PSO, this guy is jealous. Some day.....
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You could give the NDM that wear look too, though I dunno how you could without crying the entire time. How do you like that bipod? I don't really care for mine, but I may have gotten a sloppy one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#5]
No wear look on this one, it's been refinished in Gunkote because I hated the crappy chinese shiny paint. Probably won't see me roughing up this finish

I liked the bipod for collector's value but prefer my elbow or a sandbag for shooting, I never had a bipod in the Army and never really got used to it on the NDM. I sold it years ago anyway.

Z
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the beat-to-hell look gives it some nice patina––I would leave it as is.

Do you have pics of the reticle?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#7]
PSO-1 4x24

Chinese 4x24

POSP 4x24 (Simonov 400m reticule)(after closer inspection this isn't calibrated for 7.62x39, the range gradients are equal across the dial)

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 12:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice score Zen.

Sniper rifles never were my bread & butter but seeing pics like that make me want one.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
get that beat up stock from Keith's che'drag and you've got a BFPU Very cool mang!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top