Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2011 10:32:14 AM EDT
Guys, I'm new to the AK world. I'm an AR guy myself, but would like to diversify my collection of rifles a little bit. So I come to you with the question, of the semi-auto non-sbr AK rifles on the market, which are the most reliable and well built? I'm also looking for a way to mount optics. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Guys, I'm new to the AK world. I'm an AR guy myself, but would like to diversify my collection of rifles a little bit. So I come to you with the question, of the semi-auto non-sbr AK rifles on the market, which are the most reliable and well built? I'm also looking for a way to mount optics. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Welcome!

The question is really subjective, actually.  Honestly, there's no "most reliable and well built" AK - just those which have been built well to function well.  In other words, you could have a Russian AKM parts kit and NDS receiver (which are both regarded as top of the line) but have a poor build that gives you trouble constantly.  On the flip side, you could have a cheap Romanian AKM parts kit built on a cheap receiver and it functions beautifully because a lot of time and effort went into making a good build.

It really boils down to what you can afford based on what floats your boat in terms of the rifle's aethetics.  Figure out how much money you can put towards one of the rifles (you can find them from $350 to $2000).  Then, find one within your price range that you think is cool and would like to have.  Then go from there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
In the AK world, all properly built AK's will function reliably, and group the same. More accuracy comes from 5.45 or 5.56 generally. Paying more money gets you a better looking rifle, or a more collectible rifle. I have a cheap WASR 10/63 that has never failed me and always hits where I want (as do most WASR owners). I also have a Saiga in 5.45 that I have more money in, and a lot of my own work. It is just as reliable as teh WASR. I would put my life on either of them.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 12:15:19 PM EDT
[#3]
For a consistently well built off the shelf AK, I'd look at an Arsenal SGL 21 or 31 depending on your caliber preference.

The optics mount is gonna depend upon what type of optic you would like to mount.

I assume you mean a red dot type sight.  For that you can get an SGL with a Midwest Ind railed forend installed from KVAR.  There is also the option of the same rail system purchased seperately and having a US Palm upper rail which is designed to mount several red dots straight to the handguard as opposed to on a rail.  Some of these co-witness and others do not.  I don't care for the full rail system and instead run an Ultimak railed replacement gas tube.  Ultimak also has a full rail system  as do several other manufacturers.

There are also several domestic and foreign manufactured optic mounts designed to attach to the factory optics rail bolted to the side of the receiver.  And lastly the various systems that attach to or in place of the rear sight, the top cover, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
That's the info I'm needing! Thanks a lot!
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 12:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]

If you can afford it, a Krebs Custom AK is hard to beat.

I own many AKs, and Krebs [KTR-03S]  are a 100% reliable AK builder.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the Arsenal SGL-31.94.  It's a very good copy of the current issue AK-74M, minus a few minor points.  Overall, it's an outstanding quality rifle made on the same machines by the same builders that make the current Russian military rifles in Izhmash.  You simply can't beat owning a real Russian AK.

As for optics and rails... if you use this setup you'll never go back to anything else.

It's a Midwest Industries rail with a US Palm upper rail which is a dedicated mount for the Trijicon RMR.  This allows co-witnessing the iron sights through the optic.  It's small, light weight, doesn't change the balance of the rifle at all and is super rugged.   Of course that's a Magpul AFG-2 mounted to the bottom of the rail.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I converted a 5.45 Saiga into a 74.

With the Bulgarian Circle 10 mags (you can see one in the pic above my post), I'd take that rifle into combat. I like my 74 so much I sold my heavy boatanchor of an AR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you can afford it, a Krebs Custom AK is hard to beat.

I own many AKs, and Krebs [KTR-03S]  are a 100% reliable AK builder.

+ 1 for a Krebs, a KTR is hard to beat.

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would go with the Arsenal SGL-31.94.  It's a very good copy of the current issue AK-74M, minus a few minor points.  Overall, it's an outstanding quality rifle made on the same machines by the same builders that make the current Russian military rifles in Izhmash.  You simply can't beat owning a real Russian AK.

As for optics and rails... if you use this setup you'll never go back to anything else.

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/1143651944_NBXoQ-L.jpg

It's a Midwest Industries rail with a US Palm upper rail which is a dedicated mount for the Trijicon RMR.  This allows co-witnessing the iron sights through the optic.  It's small, light weight, doesn't change the balance of the rifle at all and is super rugged.   Of course that's a Magpul AFG-2 mounted to the bottom of the rail.

I really like that US Palm rig.  I have been using a Ultimak on my SGL-21 but am on the wire about going for the full rail setup like this.  I like the looks of it but like the simple solution the Ultimak offers......  just can't decide to buy or not..

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Arsenal is nice, but if budget is an issue you can get a lot of cheaper AKs that are practically equal in reliability.  That's just s a fact, but again, they are very nice and definitely worth it if it's doable.  I'm going to +1 on the MI handguard/rail.  Get the US Palm upper/top cover if you have an optic that they make a specific cover for as it helps with co-witnessing.  If not the standard MI upper allos for mounting of things other than an optic/just an optic because it's your standard rail.  Either way the MI locks down tight and is more solid than anything else I've seen.  Very good.  I have a Vortex SPARC optic.  Also very nice and relatively cheap.  There are a lot of optic options after you get the right mounting setup going.  All depends what you want to do with it, and what you like.   Im also a fan of the AFG, but some of the foregrips with the drop down bi/monopod are nice, and a solid collapsible stock is preferred by me over an AK with a folding stock, but that's also a preference issue.  Stock up on mags and ammo (I also suggest the ak74 over the 47), a nice muzzle brake, bayonet if you so desire, maybe a tactical light/pressure switch, maybe battery storage for your optic and a solid sling and you're set with a good battle AK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a shooting buddy that has 2 Krebs built guns to his specs, so granted they are even more expensive.  They are super nice but I could buy almost 2 Arsenal AK's and Arsenal is expensive in my book.  I'm too cheap so I built my own and they run like raped apes.  Whatever AK you pick you run her so you can feel like you can trust her.  Also practice fast mag changes via Youtube for ideas.  That's the biggest weakness next to the crappy sights.  Krebs peep sight or the Mojo ones will make it run faster and probally more accurately.  Finally a safety lever that you can manipulate without breaking the grip.  

Take a look at these http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory90.aspx

Personally I think cheaper the better.  I'm an AR guy but there is something about the AK that I like to take it out once in awhile and run it through drills.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:16:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I like simple

Z
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Nice looking AK, the Russian mag and hand guards really sets it apart from all the "Cookie Cutter" off the shelf AK's, while maintaining authenticity.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 3:53:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly whichever one you happen to have when the fight starts, I'm an Arsenal fan personally but there alot of good AK's about. Just depends on how much $ you want to spend. If I had to pick right now I'd do an SGL in eithere 21 or 31 flavor depending on which caliber I'd choose. That folding stock 31 looks mighty sweet but I can't afford another AK.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#15]
What does our spec ops use? Norinco!
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Looks like an AFG, not an AFG-2 to me...

What do you have on there for a light?

Link Posted: 1/11/2011 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I would probably go with a well built AK74 in 5.45 caliber.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 10:14:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn you guys and your purty pictures making me want to spend more money!  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]
like they said- one is as good as the other as far as 'will it fire'. there are a few companies I would avoid (hesse etc), but in general, you'll be ready to plink with any of them. the question about optics depends on what you are looking for. if you want to keep it basic with a wood grip and a traditional layout, i'd go with a Kobra and a sidemount. if you want to tact it out, thats a different ballpark.

the real questions-
(1) how much does finish matter?
(2) what do you want to spend?
(3) what style furniture/stock do you like/want in your rifle?

I'd advise a 74 over a 47 because ammo is cheaper if nothing else ;)
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top