Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/25/2011 8:18:37 AM EDT
There's a new SVD-DMR chest rig on the market made by Beez Combat Systems in collaboration with Marco Vorobiev of BehindLines.net. You'll remember Marco as the ex Spetsnaz Dragunov marksman who teaches DMR tactics; and BCS who are made up of prior military vets that make a variety of gear based on their real world combat experience. This rig is a nicely made combination of both Marco's Afghan war experience and BCS's ability to construct tough durable gear that works, derived from both their own experience and requests and input from other professionals in the industry. It's designed to be a simple, low profile setup for the dedicated marksman...something intended to give easy access to mags under stressful situation and to carry a few extra's like grenades, IFAK and a radio for example.
They are offering it in two main styles, a 10 mag version and a 6 mag version with the primary difference being in how much real estate is available for molle attachments. My review is on the 6 mag version because I wanted to experiment with different molle combinations. Another point is that this rig isn't just designed for the SVD, it can be used just as well with virtually any kind of DMR rifle...think PSL's, Yugo M76 or even Saiga 308s. Basically anything that uses a similar size magazine should work great. http://beezcombatsystems.com/SVD-Chest-Rig-BCS-SVD.htm
Some of you are familiar with the Russian Chamelion rig that I did a review on earlier this year. I had taken Marco Vorobiev's class and really wished I had one then, so as soon as they came on the market I picked one up and haven't been disappointed with it. However while I'm a big fan of Chamelion there's a few not so great parts of the design. I'm happy to say the new SVD chest rig removes the not so well done features of the original, namely replacing the MP 4x20 spotter scope pouch with way more useful molle attachments to increases the flexibility of the rig. It's also modernized with a significantly better magazine retention system, better orientation of the mag pouches and a tougher Cordura construction (vs the original Kodra material). Quick release buckles are incorporated and you now have the choice of using the traditional X style harness, or an H harness. It also comes in a nice array of colors including multicam, SURPAT and ATACS.
Hands on observations:
To me the first and biggest improvement is the bungee+snap retention system that allows for quick removal of the mag but keeps them quietly secure when snapped. I mentioned in my earlier review that one disadvantage of the original Chamelion is that it wasn't as quiet as it could be. The SVD chest rig solves this nicely with the new retention system and while training with it I could see an immediate improvement in speed when prone. You'll need to adjust the bungee somewhat but it doesn't take long to get them cinched properly. I've tried a variety of SRVV and SPLAV mag pouches before this rig came on the market and while most of them are well made they are usually not quiet enough for my taste. The analogy to me would be regular infantry vs special forces types...under most circumstances noise isn't critical for regular infantry but it could be a real show stopper on night patrol or ambush scenarios obviously. The SVD chest rig definitely shows the Spetsnaz/SF emphasis on quietness and I'm very impressed.
Construction of the rig is as good as I've seen any gear and definitely better than the original, I doubt this thing is going to fall apart any time soon. They added a large internal pocket but unfortunately I find it's so big that it's not easy to get to little things while wearing it ...they tend to collect under the side magazine pouch area. I guess you need to decide what you have to get to in a hurry, or just use it for maps as intended. The rig feels more comfortable than the original, it rides better and has a snugger fit IMO when adjusted properly. I'm on the fence about the X vs H harness, but during testing I added 6 more mag pouches to get to 12 total to see how the weight distributes. At the high weight of 12 mags it seemed like the X harness was more comfortable. At 6 mags both were great and I didn't notice any fatigue while wearing them all day on the range.
In summary I am really happy with the rig and am planning on buying probably two more in ATACS and Multicam most likely. It does what the Chamelion does only better and solves some of the smaller problems while it's at it. The addition of molle is my dream come true improvement. While I'm not one to run around with a plate carrier adorned with everything I can think of, there are a few things I do want and the new SVD rig delivers those options nicely. Another big hit with me is the choice of colors, I'm a fan of the Russian/American SURPAT pattern (basically the Russian colorization of MARPAT) and I'm glad to see it making it in the US. ATACS is another interesting choice, lately Texas has turned into a giant desert because of the never ending drought and ATACS looks right at home most everywhere these days.
I have to hand it to Marco and Beez at BCS, I think they knocked this one out of the park.
On to the pics:
6 mag version in SURPAT, shown here with H harness

My photoshop of how the 10 mag version looks

Closeup of the bungee+snap retention:

Cavernous internal pocket (Don't mind the loose threads, this is a prototype/proof of concept build)

Back showing the extra molle in the inside

Comparison with original Chamelion

Testing at the range

And no review seems to be complete without Tactical Buddha

EDIT:

And pics of the 10 mag A-TACS:

Z

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome review as always! Thanks for the time and details.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#2]
always enjoy your threads.

Thanks Zen!
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the camo scheme the Russian's attempt at duplicating what we now use on our uniforms?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the camo scheme the Russian's attempt at duplicating what we now use on our uniforms?

The Russian's are not anal like us about uniform regulations. Judging from the different pattern Gorka's, they same to match the terrain or season of one's surroundings.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent review! (as always)

In the picture below, is this the 10-mag version, or were those pouches added on?  If it's the latter, what kind of pouches are those?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I want the dudes blaster!
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Just my thoughts here, but having served in the infantry for 12 years I would never carry my Mags with the rounds facing up and exposed to dirt , water, yaddda yadda yadaa.

Just my 2 cents
YMMV

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Looks to be more of a waffen ss spring/autumn pattern.  Odd the russians of all people would go that route

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:38:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks interesting..

Personally I'd rather have an elastic "cover", something that actually covers the magazines than just a strap.     Probably wouldn't be totally necessary, but something.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:41:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just my thoughts here, but having served in the infantry for 12 years I would never carry my Mags with the rounds facing up and exposed to dirt , water, yaddda yadda yadaa.

Just my 2 cents
YMMV

Agreed, normally I go rounds up because the pouches I use have flaps to protect the mags, but for practice runs I loaded this rig the same way as usual even though it's open topped. Not shown here but do I run the mags rounds down on this rig and didn't have to make any major adjustments in how I draw.

Quoted:
Excellent review! (as always)

In the picture below, is this the 10-mag version, or were those pouches added on?  If it's the latter, what kind of pouches are those?

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/Z_BehindLines-BCS_Rig01.JPG

These are single mag add-on pouches made by Survival Corps/SRVV, the same guys who make the Cordura 1000 SURPAT pattern the rig is made out of. I just put them in the same spot the 10 mag version would have them.

I bought two kinds of SRVV pouches to try out a while ago, this one with the bungee retention and a 'uni-click' version. The uniclick works but is noisy, the bungee one in the pic is even noisier and I'm not really impressed with it at all. Like I said SRVV and SPLAV makes good stuff, it's just not terribly quiet.

As far as the camo pattern on the rig goes, SURPAT is the Russian/American color pattern for MARPAT/CADPAT. It's not an attempt to copy the US per se, it's part of the world wide trend in digital patterns. Seems like just about everyone has a digital pattern based on the MARPAT/CADPAT pattern. For the record the US Army experimented with digital camo in the late 70's (Dual-Tex) by Lieutenant Colonel Timothy R. O’Neill (U.S. Army, Retired). CADPAT appeared to come before MARPAT and the Canadians site the US Army research in their patent request for CADPAT. Seems like in the late 90's early 2000's the digital craze began to spread around the world. Also not to forget the Russians were the first to use a pixelated pattern way back in the 40's.

The uniform itself is called Partizan and is inspired by the SS Oakleaf pattern uniforms. A lot of modern Russian gear is made by commercial companies like SPOSN for direct military sales, and Partizan is one of those uniforms. It sounds odd that they like the SS pattern considering that little misundertstanding called WW2 but when I researched SPOSN and these uniforms it turned up pretty quick that Russians really don't care about the SS part. They recognise the camo pattern and uniform construction works very well and don't have any hangups about the association with the 'evil nazi' pattern. They just don't seem to care because it works.

Z
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Very nice review.  I think I'm going to need to get me one or two of these, particularly if I ever do get the chance to attend one of Mr. Vorbiev's classes.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]

The Russian's are not anal like us about uniform regulations. Judging
from the different pattern Gorka's, they same to match the terrain or
season of one's surroundings.

Quoted:

As far as the camo pattern on the rig goes, SURPAT is the Russian/American color pattern for MARPAT/CADPAT. It's not an attempt to copy the US per se, it's part of the world wide trend in digital patterns. Seems like just about everyone has a digital pattern based on the MARPAT/CADPAT pattern. For the record the US Army experimented with digital camo in the late 70's (Dual-Tex) by Lieutenant Colonel Timothy R. O’Neill (U.S. Army, Retired). CADPAT appeared to come before MARPAT and the Canadians site the US Army research in their patent request for CADPAT. Seems like in the late 90's early 2000's the digital craze began to spread around the world. Also not to forget the Russians were the first to use a pixelated pattern way back in the 40's.

The uniform itself is called Partizan and is inspired by the SS Oakleaf pattern uniforms. A lot of modern Russian gear is made by commercial companies like SPOSN for direct military sales, and Partizan is one of those uniforms. It sounds odd that they like the SS pattern considering that little misundertstanding called WW2 but when I researched SPOSN and these uniforms it turned up pretty quick that Russians really don't care about the SS part. They recognise the camo pattern and uniform construction works very well and don't have any hangups about the association with the 'evil nazi' pattern. They just don't seem to care because it works.
Z

Thanks guys for the info. And on the German connection like you said if the Russians found something that works well they will adapt if for there own use.

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

There's a new SVD-DMR chest rig on the market made by Beez Combat Systems in collaboration with Marco Vorobiev of BehindLines.net. You'll remember Marco as the ex Spetsnaz Dragunov marksman who teaches DMR tactics; and BCS who are made up of prior military vets that make a variety of gear based on their real world combat experience. This rig is a nicely made combination of both Marco's Afghan war experience and BCS's ability to construct tough durable gear that works, derived from both their own experience and requests and input from other professionals in the industry. It's designed to be a simple, low profile setup for the dedicated marksman...something intended to give easy access to mags under stressful situation and to carry a few extra's like grenades, IFAK and a radio for example.

They are offering it in two main styles, a 10 mag version and a 6 mag version with the primary difference being in how much real estate is available for molle attachments. My review is on the 6 mag version because I wanted to experiment with different molle combinations. Another point is that this rig isn't just designed for the SVD, it can be used just as well with virtually any kind of DMR rifle...think PSL's, Yugo M76 or even Saiga 308s. Basically anything that uses a similar size magazine should work great. http://beezcombatsystems.com/SVD-Chest-Rig-BCS-SVD.htm

will need to look into this, a new DMR is in my future!

Some of you are familiar with the Russian Chamelion rig that I did a review on earlier this year. I had taken Marco Vorobiev's class and really wished I had one then, so as soon as they came on the market I picked one up and haven't been disappointed with it. However while I'm a big fan of Chamelion there's a few not so great parts of the design. I'm happy to say the new SVD chest rig removes the not so well done features of the original, namely replacing the MP 4x20 spotter scope pouch with way more useful molle attachments to increases the flexibility of the rig. It's also modernized with a significantly better magazine retention system, better orientation of the mag pouches and a tougher Cordura construction (vs the original Kodra material). Quick release buckles are incorporated and you now have the choice of using the traditional X style harness, or an H harness. It also comes in a nice array of colors including multicam, SURPAT and ATACS.

Hands on observations:

To me the first and biggest improvement is the bungee+snap retention system that allows for quick removal of the mag but keeps them quietly secure when snapped. I mentioned in my earlier review that one disadvantage of the original Chamelion is that it wasn't as quiet as it could be. The SVD chest rig solves this nicely with the new retention system and while training with it I could see an immediate improvement in speed when prone. You'll need to adjust the bungee somewhat but it doesn't take long to get them cinched properly. I've tried a variety of SRVV and SPLAV mag pouches before this rig came on the market and while most of them are well made they are usually not quiet enough for my taste. The analogy to me would be regular infantry vs special forces types...under most circumstances noise isn't critical for regular infantry but it could be a real show stopper on night patrol or ambush scenarios obviously. The SVD chest rig definitely shows the Spetsnaz/SF emphasis on quietness and I'm very impressed.

big plus on the mag retention system. While I really liked the Chamelion, it was very loud.

Construction of the rig is as good as I've seen any gear and definitely better than the original, I doubt this thing is going to fall apart any time soon. They added a large internal pocket but unfortunately I find it's so big that it's not easy to get to little things while wearing it ...they tend to collect under the side magazine pouch area. I guess you need to decide what you have to get to in a hurry, or just use it for maps as intended. The rig feels more comfortable than the original, it rides better and has a snugger fit IMO when adjusted properly. I'm on the fence about the X vs H harness, but during testing I added 6 more mag pouches to get to 12 total to see how the weight distributes. At the high weight of 12 mags it seemed like the X harness was more comfortable. At 6 mags both were great and I didn't notice any fatigue while wearing them all day on the range.

you think a plate could fit in that pocket?

In summary I am really happy with the rig and am planning on buying probably two more in ATACS and Multicam most likely. It does what the Chamelion does only better and solves some of the smaller problems while it's at it. The addition of molle is my dream come true improvement. While I'm not one to run around with a plate carrier adorned with everything I can think of, there are a few things I do want and the new SVD rig delivers those options nicely. Another big hit with me is the choice of colors, I'm a fan of the Russian/American SURPAT pattern (basically the Russian colorization of MARPAT) and I'm glad to see it making it in the US. ATACS is another interesting choice, lately Texas has turned into a giant desert because of the never ending drought and ATACS looks right at home most everywhere these days.

I have to hand it to Marco and Beez at BCS, I think they knocked this one out of the park.
On to the pics:
6 mag version in SURPAT, shown here with H harness

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/BehindLines-BCS-SVD_Rig-01.JPG

My photoshop of how the 10 mag version looks

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/BehindLines-BCS-SVD_Rig-03-10MagExample.jpg

Closeup of the bungee+snap retention:

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/BehindLines-BCS-SVD_Rig-05.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/BehindLines-BCS-SVD_Rig-06.JPG

Cavernous internal pocket (Don't mind the loose threads, this is a prototype/proof of concept build)

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/BehindLines-BCS-SVD_Rig-07.JPG

Back showing the extra molle in the inside

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/BehindLines-BCS-SVD_Rig04.JPG

Comparison with original Chamelion

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/BehindLines-BCS-SVD_Rig-Chamelion02.JPG
Testing at the range

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/Z_BehindLines-BCS_Rig01.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/Z_BehindLines-BCS-Rig02.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/Z_BehindLines-BCS-Rig03.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/Z_BehindLines-BCS-Rig05.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/Z_BehindLines-BCS-Rig04.JPG

And no review seems to be complete without Tactical Buddha

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SVDChestRig/TacticalBuddha-BehindLines-BCS-SURPAT-Rig01.JPG

tacital BUDDA FTW!!!! I can still only imagine the looks you get at home over this :)

Z

I do have a question, I see that it's only a partial wrap, but does it breath? I remember the rig I wore at Sonny's class and it about killed me. That's why I'm all about the LBV set-up these days.

Excellent write up as usual.

What's the price point on these going to be?

Can't wait to see it in action 1st hand!

Link Posted: 8/29/2011 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't think a plate would be effective in the pocket, it'd probably slide around too much with no way to lock it down.

And it breathes fine I think. It's not mesh but for being coated cordura it does as well as can be expected. I've worn it quite a bit and I haven't noticed it being hot.

Z
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 2:44:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Updated with some pics of the 10 mag A-TACS version along with a first try at live fire video. I think the editing could be better but it gets the point across, more or less.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#16]
you missed 4

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I was shooting at your IQ. Small. Hard to hit.

Z

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was shooting at your IQ. Small. Hard to hit.

Z

HA!

Nice video man....Same camera?

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool vid Bro
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Had two students run them at a BehindLines class this past weekend.
Worked great and they both really liked them.

Well designed and made........

ETA: Is there a source for the Gorka in the vid? What pattern is that?
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#21]
First, thanks for the nice write-up.  I am really surprised they went with open pocket / pouch tops.  Given the right circumstances, ice and snow build up inside the pockets could be bad.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:11:42 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Had two students run them at a BehindLines class this past weekend.

Worked great and they both really liked them.

Well designed and made........
ETA: Is there a source for the Gorka in the vid? What pattern is that?

That's good to hear. So far it seems to be a quality product and I can't wait to run it in the snow to see how it holds up. I'm not 1000% in love with the open top just yet but it does seem to be faster and quieter than the Chamelion.

The uniform is actually not a Gorka, it's a Partizan-M on it's reversed/Autumn pattern which happens to be perfect for Texas lately due to the drought. It's also made by SPOSN and is really high quality but definitely not a mountain suit, more of a baggy uniform or a smock for cooler weather.

Z
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
First, thanks for the nice write-up.  I am really surprised they went with open pocket / pouch tops.  Given the right circumstances, ice and snow build up inside the pockets could be bad.

I have similar thoughts but the guys at BCS pointed out that there is a huge trend in this type of mag retention system, and apparently it does well in real life in combat conditions on other types of rigs. I'm US Army trained and everything in my day had a flap and a button to secure it, but this bungee system is definitely faster than a flap so for now I'm willing to use it as is. I guess we'll see what happens in the snow because we did a lot of crawling around last year.

Quoted:
would those pouches hold M14 magazines?

I'm guestimating but it looks like the pocket would be about half or 2/3's the height of the M14 mag, it could be possible to use longer bungee cord to get the mags secured. How well that would work in the field low crawling around I'm not sure, can't say exactly how secure they will sit like that.

Z
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top