Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/27/2012 10:37:50 AM EDT
I purchased a Waffen Werks AK74 from Atlantic Firearms about 2 weeks ago. I would have gotten the Russian Saiga, but Waffen Werks claims they use new parts and various reviews were positive.

The first 40 rounds were problem free, then I started getting erratic ejection patterns. Instead of the cases zinging out at 2 o'clock, some of the case would fly forward or back over my head, or worse stay in the chamber lodged at funky angles.

I used 5 different magazines, ammo was 2 types of Russian. The extractor appears fine.

The ejector on mine appears fried. I can't go more than 5 rounds without a malfunction.

I should have gotten an Arsenal.

Right now I don't know what to do.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I should have gotten an Arsenal.

Yup.

Contact WW and see if they will replace or fix it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:22:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Bet your ejector is bent. Should be a simple fix for you without the hassle of shipping it back and forth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Contact Atlantic, they are great to work with and will get you straightened out pronto.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Is that the Canadian gun range in EL Reno?
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Is that the Canadian gun range in EL Reno?

Yep

I was reluctant to purchase an American built Kalashnikov, and will not make the same mistake.

I would prefer not to send it to Waffen Werks. I will need to contact Atlantic Firearms and see if they will take it back and apply what I paid for it toward something Russian.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Bet your ejector is bent. Should be a simple fix for you without the hassle of shipping it back and forth.

The ejector isn't bent, it ground down for some weird reason.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard the "new" kit thing is a ruse. I've read some reviews where it looks like there was a lot of wear before they refinished everything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've heard the "new" kit thing is a ruse. I've read some reviews where it looks like there was a lot of wear before they refinished everything.

I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah there's nothing new about the bolt or it's carrier.

The rear of the carrier (the part that slaps the hammer back) was mushroomed and painted black.

The receiver has "TGI" stamped on it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#9]
See if you can't return it outright and apply the difference toward an SGL31 or something.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

See if you can't return it outright and apply the difference toward an SGL31 or something.

I shot AF an email.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#11]

The bolt carrier group looks used.

Working, this is a $400 rifle..

If it's made from the TGI reject pile, the value is probably less..

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think it's a case of people not knowing what they're looking at.

Waffen Gun-Koted some of the internals of this gun, and there is some overspray on some of the internal parts.  It can easily be confused for wear.

It scrapes right off (if one wants to scrape it off), and once it is scraped off, it's pretty obvious there's no wear on the part.  At least, that was the case with my Waffen 74.

ETA: The TGI-marked receivers are not rejects.  TGI ordered a bunch of receivers, and cancelled the order after the receivers were made.  These receivers were sold at a discount to other builders (who should have removed the TGI name, but didn't.)  Regardless, nothing is wrong with the receivers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Waffen Gun-Koted some of the internals of this gun, and there is some overspray on some of the internal parts.  It can easily be confused for wear.

It scrapes right off (if one wants to scrape it off), and once it is scraped off, it's pretty obvious there's no wear on the part.  At least, that was the case with my Waffen 74.

ETA: The TGI-marked receivers are not rejects.  TGI ordered a bunch of receivers, and cancelled the order after the receivers were made.  These receivers were sold at a discount to other builders (who should have removed the TGI name, but didn't.)  Regardless, nothing is wrong with the receivers.

+1

This is how internet myths are started. TGI was raided by the ATF. Their productin was haulted so their orders for thousands of NODAK receivers were not needed and they canceled...of course after NODAK had made a bunch. NODAK was trying to recover
some of their loss and sold the receivers at a discount. There is NOTHING at all "reject" about these. I fully support the desire for a Russian AK, but these things happen..... if the OP honestly believes that Arsenal doesn't have mistakes that ship out... well
It has nothing at all to do with whether the rifle was made in the US or Russia.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Overspray isn't going to cause the ass-end of the bolt carrier to have a "pig nose" unless it was used previously. It was like this when I got it, only it was covered with black paint.

Look at your Waffen, is it flared out where it contacts the hammer? If not, then it's probably new. Mine however looks used and doesn't function very well.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If there is one vendor that will do that, Atlantic is probably it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If there is one vendor that will do that, Atlantic is probably it.

That is good to hear.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
This is how internet myths are started. TGI was raided by the ATF. Their productin was haulted so their orders for thousands of NODAK receivers were not needed and they canceled...of course after NODAK had made a bunch. NODAK was trying to recover
some of their loss and sold the receivers at a discount. There is NOTHING at all "reject" about these. I fully support the desire for a Russian AK, but these things happen..... if the OP honestly believes that Arsenal doesn't have mistakes that ship out... well
It has nothing at all to do with whether the rifle was made in the US or Russia.

Thanks.

I was wondering why it had TGI on the receiver.

I'm sure Arsenal sends out some bad ones every now and then.

My concern with American vendors has to do with the temper of the rivets corresponding with the temper of the receiver. Will the ejector deflect a steel case smashing into it without deforming? Will hard rivets hog-out a soft receiver? Will a hard receiver shear soft rivets?

How can we be assured the American manufacturer is using quality parts?

The American barrels have a big question mark floating over them. Is the bore centered? Is the chrome lining thick or thin? What kind of steel is used? Is the steel stress relieved? Who makes these damn things? Proof load?? What the hell it that? This is America, we don't need no stinking proof loads..

My only issue with a Russian rifle will be whether or not the sights are canted. I've never seen a Russian ejector wear out after magazine.

I can live with used Bulgarian parts, as long as they aren't worn out before they get re-painted.

Having a soft ejector (if that's what it is) is making me wish I had a Commie made receiver.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Thanks.

I was wondering why it had TGI on the receiver.
I'm sure Arsenal sends out some bad ones every now and then.

My concern with American vendors has to do with the temper of the rivets corresponding with the temper of the receiver. Will the ejector deflect a steel case smashing into it without deforming? Will hard rivets hog-out a soft receiver? Will a hard receiver shear soft rivets?

How can we be assured the American manufacturer is using quality parts?

The American barrels have a big question mark floating over them. Is the bore centered? Is the chrome lining thick or thin? What kind of steel is used? Is the steel stress relieved? Who makes these damn things? Proof load?? What the hell it that? This is America, we don't need no stinking proof loads..

My only issue with a Russian rifle will be whether or not the sights are canted. I've never seen a Russian ejector wear out after magazine.

I can live with used Bulgarian parts, as long as they aren't worn out before they get re-painted.

Having a soft ejector (if that's what it is) is making me wish I had a Commie made receiver.

Yeah, those are all valid concerns. One of the things that keeps the fears alive is that our hobby is zealous with the need for as "genuine" as possible. Let's be honest....we all want a real Izmash AK-74, but due to our stupid laws we are forced to settle for clones. I'm as guilty as anyone because
I tend to prefer SAR-1s, SA-85s, and MAADIs which I keep as close to their military cousins as possible. What makes me scratch my head is that nobody EVER questions the barrel quality on their Rem 700, or their 1911, or their Colt AR.....yet we question barrels made in the US for AKs. I'm not
positive why that is. I know there was that whole Century Arms Tantal debacle which caused a lot of this. If someone tried to sell you an AR-15 barrel made in Romania...I bet most people would shrivel their nose at it....because it's not "made in the US"....because we want our AR to be as close to the military
version as possible. I like the idea of supporting a small manufacturer like Waffen Werks. I remember back 25yrs ago when the Arsenal AKs were pretty crappy looking. I turned my nose at them and bought MAK-90s and MAADIs.

It sounds like you wanted a Russian AK...and I don't blame you. I have always wanted a Russian AKM. I've read a lot of good reviews on the Waffen rifles. I bet if you give them the chance to fix it they will make good on it. You can't go wrong with a Legion SAIGA converted rifle either. It's hard to tell if one is genuinely
"better" or not. I own an Interarms Tantal and the receiver/rails/rivets seem top notch. I hope you are taken care of with your rifle. Keep us posted I'm really curious about Waffen Werks rifles and I think I may buy one after I get my AR build done.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lung Shot , we will contact you on Tuesday to discuss your issues and concerns and do not worry it will all be worked out . It does appear that you have fallen pray to all of the internet storys about US VS Imported AK rifles & barrels .We have sold hundreds of the Waffen rifles with extreemley good results we also sell tons of the Arsenal SGL series rifles and they are very nice but not always flawless. We look forward to speaking with you on Tuesday !!

Where else you gonna find service like that?
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 7:03:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I would advise you to just send it in to Waffen Werks.  I had a little problem with my 74 and they were great to deal with.  They shipped it on their dime and had it back in my hands two weeks to the day after I sent it out.  The gun runs flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.  I would never hesitate to recommend WW to anyone interested in purchasing a 74.  So give them a chance to make it right.  Hope you get everything worked out to your satisfaction whatever you decide to do.

Aaron

ETA:  Her's the link to the thread I posted about my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lung Shot , we will contact you on Tuesday to discuss your issues and concerns and do not worry it will all be worked out . It does appear that you have fallen pray to all of the internet storys about US VS Imported AK rifles & barrels .We have sold hundreds of the Waffen rifles with extreemley good results we also sell tons of the Arsenal SGL series rifles and they are very nice but not always flawless. We look forward to speaking with you on Tuesday !!

Old(er) threat...but this is why I'm buying my next AK from Atlantic. I've NEVER heard of bad service from these guys...ever.

Link Posted: 5/13/2012 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Last week I received my Poly74 from Waffen Werks. WW had to replace the receiver. Yesterday I shot 210 rounds though it without any failures and it appears the rifle has been fixed.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top