Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/31/2013 4:24:43 AM EDT
I keep going back and forth about painting my AK...
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/N_K_1984/null_zps5b00cdc0.jpg

...but I can't seem to commit. I don't know what color or pattern I would do. I keep leaning in the direction of what the Rifle Dynamics guys do, either all OD Green or FDE and leave the furniture black, or do I go all in and camo the whole thing?! What kind of camo? Desert cam? Some sort of Eastern Bloc style? I've painted several of my ARs. Why is it so easy to throw caution to the wind and paint on an AR, but not an AK???

Here's two examples of the Rifle Dynamics color schemes I referenced...
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/N_K_1984/RDFDE_zps23bdbc2d.jpg

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae98/N_K_1984/RDODG_zps6712e2cb.jpg

Those of you who've painted your AKs, post some pics up.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Chris Butler / AKUSA Custom built AK103K - was a little hesitant to take cheap rattlecan paint to a high end rifle, but in the end, this thing is all workhorse no safe queen. If I chose to remove it, I probably could get most of the paint off in half an hour without much trouble or long term finish damage.

Posted not as much to give suggestions on paint type, but pattern/appearance.

Another rifle with similar paint scheme

Link Posted: 5/31/2013 9:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Save yourself some cash and just spray paint it. Cheap to do and cheap and easy to touch up when necessary.
Also looks bad ass when it gets some wear to it.
I spray painted my hog hunting AK with Rustoleum a couple months back, turned out pretty good imo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#3]
what's the best "rattle can" paint to use?
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what's the best "rattle can" paint to use?

Aervoe is generally regarded to be the best, but can be quite difficult to find their camo colors locally. Rustoleum and Krylon are also high quality.
My local Walmarts sell Rustoleum in their camo line as well as some other colors that work quite well, so that is what I went with.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#5]
So how does the paint stand up to solvents?
I use brake clean then corrosionX then clean the barrel with gun scrub.
So wouldn't I loose the paint job every weekend?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Krylon!

Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a great time with my SLR107UR.

Eventually sold it because I got rid of all my 7.62 guns but I really enjoyed the camo scheme, particularly the liberating process I went through to break out of the black rifle mode.

Z
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 6:46:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Many have regretted doing an unorthodox (non-black) paint job on their AK.
I would recommend buying different stock sets instead.....OD Green, Plum, Tan, wood, etc.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Many have regretted doing an unorthodox (non-black) paint job on their AK.
I would recommend buying different stock sets instead.....OD Green, Plum, Tan, wood, etc.

Great thing about spray paint is that you can remove it pretty easily if necessary.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Just do it, 95% of my gun stuff is covered in krylon.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]

I've admired that paint job for a while now. Beautiful job. Might steal the idea for my next one.

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 9:31:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine isn't as darkly colored as the others, but it works well in my area.

Link Posted: 6/2/2013 10:36:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm in the same boat with my SGL 31. I've been considering Coyote Tan and have done two of my ARs with Aervoe Coyote, but I have to say, I do like the OD Green paint job on the Rifle Dynamics AK in the OP.

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Look forward to see what you do OP, will post pic if I ever get around to it on my end.
Link Posted: 6/2/2013 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
For some reason this thread has me thinking about making my RPK tan

Should I do it? lol
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top