Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2013 12:58:12 PM EDT
All,

I know that this AK variant isn't exactly the most popular, but I was hoping someone else out there owned one and had some insight on a particular issue.

When I shoot the SAM7SF with a tight cheekweld from a supported or prone position (standing seems OK), I get severe stock bite, similar to the bite you get from the Yugo underfolder or some over-folding shotguns. When I spoke to Arsenal about it, they said that my issue was the only time they had heard of this happening. I'm not as much looking for solution suggestions as I am trying to figure out how many other owners had this same issue. If it is uncommon among other SAM7SF owners, I will know that this may be an operator issue rather than a gun issue, so I'd like to start there.

Anyone else experience this as well?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#1]
is this the new SA M7 SF? or the one that came out back in 2006ish timeframe?

what type of muzzle device are you using?  if it is the brake it should dampen recoil

it might be that the recoil is enough that its tagging you pretty good, just get a cheek pad for it

also, this rifle would be much more popular if it was affordable
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The new Bulgarian. However, I understand the US made model has the exact same stock. I am using the factory brake, which is untouched from the factory. Thanks for your advice, MAKAK47.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd try one of those pieces of foam insulation that is made to wrap around a pipe.  If that solves the problem I'd come up with a way of covering it to make it look nicer.. like a piece of goretex with buttons on it so it snaps on.  That would look nicer than foam and zip ties.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new Bulgarian. However, I understand the US made model has the exact same stock. I am using the factory brake, which is untouched from the factory. Thanks for your advice, MAKAK47.
View Quote

Interesting, this is one of the major reasons I pass on fixed stock Yugos.  Was considering the SAM7SF.  Tagged for more feedback.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

And you got one already? Pics or I call BS.

Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a cheek rest for my PSL here, I'd try this since you can adjust everything the way you need

I got one here
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you are joking, but I am happy to oblige anyways. That's a Fellhoelter Dauntless and a TAD EDC bag:

Does anyone else have one of these darn things???
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I think you are joking, but I am happy to oblige anyways. That's a Fellhoelter Dauntless and a TAD EDC bag:

http://i.imgur.com/L9ALJom.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. K-Var really stepped up their shipping game considering these just came out a few days ago. I doubt you're going to find many people who will be able to chime in since K-Var still hasn't sold the first 500 rifles yet. Even if some people do have them in their possession already, they probably haven't taken them to the range and are still in the "fondling" stage of ownership.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nice. K-Var really stepped up their shipping game considering these just came out a few days ago. I doubt you're going to find many people who will be able to chime in since K-Var still hasn't sold the first 500 rifles yet. Even if some people do have them in their possession already, they probably haven't taken them to the range and are still in the "fondling" stage of ownership.
View Quote

I was wondering how you got yours so fast, did you do a pre order or order the day of its release?  

The fondling stage of ownership is some of the most fun, but if you don't live close to the range it can last too long, and you'll get blue balls
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, that's what I figured.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 10:40:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Obey,
Can you take a picture of the gun from the rear with the stock folded? I'd like to see the hinge of the gun exposed.
I'm curious if the stock could be removed and different one put in place, (triangle folder).
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Obey,
Can you take a picture of the gun from the rear with the stock folded? I'd like to see the hinge of the gun exposed.
I'm curious if the stock could be removed and different one put in place, (triangle folder).
View Quote

Does it matter that it is a somewhat-uncommon RH folder? All of them fold to the RH.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:24:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Obey,
View Quote

I already have this pic - does it help?

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#14]
He's talking about the back of the receiver. Fold the stock and take a pic of the back of the receiver.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He's talking about the back of the receiver. Fold the stock and take a pic of the back of the receiver.
View Quote

I caught that the first time. The pics I am posting I took over the weekend, just wanted to volunteer the closest one to what he was asking for to see if it helped, because I may not be able to break out the rifle and the camera again until this coming weekend.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I caught that the first time. The pics I am posting I took over the weekend, just wanted to volunteer the closest one to what he was asking for to see if it helped, because I may not be able to break out the rifle and the camera again until this coming weekend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it because it's not in your actual possession?

Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for posting the additional picture. It doesn't really help what I'm looking for though...

However, you could also tell me if it looks like the stock could be swapped out for another one?

Thanks again, and I'm jealous....
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:47:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It probably won't be much longer if I can't do something about this stock. It is already back in the box. Make me a good enough offer and you, too, can soon have multiple arfcom posters questioning whether or not you would feign ownership of a commercially available rifle through an innocuous inquiry.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting the additional picture. It doesn't really help what I'm looking for though...

However, you could also tell me if it looks like the stock could be swapped out for another one?

View Quote

Maxxll,

While I know a decent deal about the AK, whether or not it can be swapped I do not know. I will say this, it does have the exact same push to fold button as I have on my M92 (Bulgarian triangle installed by Henderson), and while I haven't compared side by side, the hinge looks similar. That said, again, this is an RH folder, and I don't know how common RH folders are. Also note that if you fold RH, you could interfere with the non-reciprocating CH if you fire a round with the stock closed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the information Obey.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You won't be able to. Triangle stocks have the hinge pin on the opposite side as well as the slot for the locking bar and the tab that locks it closed in the folded position on the opposite side.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You won't be able to. Triangle stocks have the hinge pin on the opposite side as well as the slot for the locking bar and the tab that locks it closed in the folded position on the opposite side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I am an idiot. Should have thought of that. Thanks, Enema. Excellent point.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#23]
That stock does not look lefty friendly
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 2:52:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Try adjusting your cheek weld, sometimes that's all that is needed. Other than that wrap some paracord around it. Or go to the local bike shop or find one online if you don't have one locally and buy some of the foam used to pad handle bars etc. and then either wrap paracord around it or make a custom cloth cover. There's not much you can do with a steel folder.

spelling
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 2:58:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd think this would be nice as a lefty, the stock release is on the right side so your support hand can manipulate it and flip it out
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:13:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm gonna be in the minority here but, I had the stock and didn't like it anywhere near as well as a triangle folder. I bought a used SAM7 SFC about 2yrs ago and really wanted to like the rifle. After shooting it side by side with my Henderson Defense Khyber/Romanian G, I found I preferred the triangle stock and lighter weight stamped receiver combination.

The Bulgarians stock seemed to have a smaller buttplate section. It was not as comfortable.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 5:41:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm gonna be in the minority here but, I had the stock and didn't like it anywhere near as well as a triangle folder. I bought a used SAM7 SFC about 2yrs ago and really wanted to like the rifle. After shooting it side by side with my Henderson Defense Khyber/Romanian G, I found I preferred the triangle stock and lighter weight stamped receiver combination.

The Bulgarians stock seemed to have a smaller buttplate section. It was not as comfortable.
View Quote

As an owner of a triangle stock gun (also put together by Henderson) and this rifle, I agree 100%. Let me ask, did you get any face bite when shooting prone or from any other position?
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

As an owner of a triangle stock gun (also put together by Henderson) and this rifle, I agree 100%. Let me ask, did you get any face bite when shooting prone or from any other position?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall the cheek slap with my grape

ETA- you might lay a section of mouse pad over the tube and then do an overwrap of 550 cord. I'm sure it would look good and offer some protection.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd think this would be nice as a lefty, the stock release is on the right side so your support hand can manipulate it and flip it out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at the stock extended the tubing on the right side seems to be recessed possibly for strength or lightening.  As a lefty I think I would have to definitely wrap it or fill it in somehow to get a comfortable cheek weld.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I own underfolders, Romy sidefolders, AMD sidefolder, triangle Bulgarian sidefolders, Maadi sidefolders and all have a bit of slap to them that the standard style stock does not have. Worse would be the straight line underfolders.

Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All,

I know that this AK variant isn't exactly the most popular, but I was hoping someone else out there owned one and had some insight on a particular issue.

When I shoot the SAM7SF with a tight cheekweld from a supported or prone position (standing seems OK), I get severe stock bite, similar to the bite you get from the Yugo underfolder or some over-folding shotguns. When I spoke to Arsenal about it, they said that my issue was the only time they had heard of this happening. I'm not as much looking for solution suggestions as I am trying to figure out how many other owners had this same issue. If it is uncommon among other SAM7SF owners, I will know that this may be an operator issue rather than a gun issue, so I'd like to start there.

View Quote

Looks like you weren't the only one experiencing cheek bite.  Same problem during identical positions here:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/08/14/arsenal-sam/
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Looks like you weren't the only one experiencing cheek bite.  Same problem during identical positions here:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All,

The OP is the author.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Got it.  I read the article but didn't look at the pics, which would've given me a clue.  Anyway, thanks.  Sorry OP.
Link Posted: 8/16/2013 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I just got mine today.  WOW it is nicely made.  I will give a report after I fire a few rounds tomorrow to see if the cheek slap is present or not in the prone position.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I just got mine today.  WOW it is nicely made.  I will give a report after I fire a few rounds tomorrow to see if the cheek slap is present or not in the prone position.
View Quote

...going to pick mine up this morning..although, I won't be able to shoot it until next weekend.
Link Posted: 8/17/2013 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The OP is the author.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All,

The OP is the author.

Nice article! Good read!
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Went out and fired a few round in the back 40 at 25 yards or so.  I did not experience any cheek bites from the stock.  She's got a really nice trigger though and went bang every time I pulled the trigger.  YMMV
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top