Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 12:48:25 PM EDT
Ok, What all do I need to do to put a folding stock on my fixed stock WASR?
I would prefer the stock to be held in the folded position as well as having decent lockup in the unfolded position. I dont want the wire style folder, the tringle folder looks much more comfortable as far as cheek weld goes. I would also seriously consider a folder system that would allow me to use an AR buffer tube.

So where do I need to start looking?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:25:48 PM EDT
[#1]
All of these attach without cutting the tang off and use screws to hold to the tang, just like a standard stock, all lock open solidly. I have all three of these stocks, so feel free to ask about cheek weld or length of pull.

Bonesteel Arms if you want an AR buffer tube folder; doesn't lock in the folded position, but is held tightly by a cam action.
M4 style AK sidefolder

The triangle folder is an option as well; is held in the folded position by a spring loaded hook.
Triangle sidefolder at Brownells

There is also the Beryl side folder which has a warsaw length LOP; is held in the folded position by a spring loaded detent pin.
Polish Beryl Sidefolder
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]
of the 3 which do you prefer?

Could you post pictures of the stocks installed?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I like the Beryl because of its lock up mechanism (push button to fold, spring detent holds stock folded for easy un folding), but the M4 style stock is more comfortable and better if you don't like fixed LOP.
The triangle stock isn't bad, but it needs paracord wrapping at the least; I only have it on an AK-74 for a classical look, but it is a solid stock with a good mechanism.

Here is the bonesteel with a magpul CTR stock and cheek riser; if you're going to use optics, you'll probably want to riser for cheek weld, otherwise it'll be a jaw weld.
Good review of the bonesteel M4 folder here: http://fleetingsurvival.com/2012/04/tail-of-the-ak-part-5/

Here is the triangle folder installed; longer LOP because it isn't sitting inside the rear of the receiver like a regular triangle folder.

Here is the Beryl sidefolder; I put some tubular foam around the top tube of this stock because I use optics that require a "jaw weld", but it makes shooting with irons more comfortable as well. Shortest LOP of the 3.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I want a longer LOP, so sounds like the Beryl is out as good as it may be.

Which direction does yours fold? Is there a benefit to having it fold left or right?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I preferred right side folders because the stock isn't up against your body if you're carrying it folded.
Some people prefer to have it fold left so that they can access the safety and charge the weapon easily; only downside is that they don't work when you have optics mounted to the side rail.
Depending on the stock, it may also be more difficult to grip and fire with it folded to the right.

Chinese AKs had right side folding stocks, as well as the Polish Beryl AKs, and most of the wire folders.
Russian and Bulgarian AKs have had left side triangle and poly folders historically.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top