Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/24/2015 2:54:14 PM EDT
Anybody have they can give a solid review on? I am llooking at maybe getting one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
do it, don't look back. Buy mags and ammo, then shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a slr106f and slr106ur factory SBR. Both run great with steel cased and brass ammo. Mags are pricey but if you bite bullet and buy quality mags you won't regret it. I love not having to buy 5.45 ammo as I can share cheap 5.56 stockpiles with my ARs. Super smooth and flat shooting guns. I love mine, surprised they aren't more popular before they were discontinued to be honest.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for the info.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've owned just about every model in the Arsenal SLR-106 lineup and have really enjoyed them all.  I currently own two SLR-106 (FR & F) rifles and love them.  They are my "go to" guns.  

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
What mags are you using in those pics?
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
They look like Polish mags to me. Been wrong many time before though...

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Love the 106 series.

Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Not trying to hi-jack, but to those who own:

What kind of accuracy can you expect from them, compared to a standard AR?  Do they chew up brass so reloading lifespan is reduced?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
My 106's were very hard on brass. The extractor digs into the rim of the case pretty good and the ejector leaves a nice crease in the middle of the case. I have still reloading most of the cases from the 106.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Beryl 5.56 mags.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Are mags any easier to find for these?

I had my own 106 in my hands once, but it was a neutered version and not what I ordered so back it went. Ended up with a second 107 instead.

I kinda want to try again but the mag cost turns me off. I am solidly entrenched with 7.62x39 AK's at this time and have no other caliber.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are mags any easier to find for these?

I had my own 106 in my hands once, but it was a neutered version and not what I ordered so back it went. Ended up with a second 107 instead.

I kinda want to try again but the mag cost turns me off. I am solidly entrenched with 7.62x39 AK's at this time and have no other caliber.
View Quote

Arsenal/K-Var has jacked the prices on the 30 rounders to $45 a throw for the 5.56 ones, though sometimes you can find the 20 rounders for $30.  The price sucks but it does make them pretty available as it has crushed the demand for them.

Every now and then, RobertRTG.com gets the Beryl mags back in stock but they don't get many and they sell out quickly.  Once people figured out they were an economical alternative, they stopped being an economical alternative.

Forget 7.62 or 5.45 mags, Magpul needs to be looking at making 5.56 AK mags!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:21:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Are the long flash hiders functional on the 106 or just for looks?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:45:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are the long flash hiders functional on the 106 or just for looks?
View Quote

Looks to cover up the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:17:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Any SLR is a good choice.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I've not had one, but the SLR-106 series has issues stemming from being 7.62 based rather than 5.45 based. I wouldn't mind to have a one, but I think I might first look to an Archer (Beryl) or a Saiga for a .223 AK.

why the slr-106 should be avoided
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've not had one, but the SLR-106 series has issues stemming from being 7.62 based rather than 5.45 based. I wouldn't mind to have a one, but I think I might first look to an Archer (Beryl) or a Saiga for a .223 AK.

why the slr-106 should be avoided
View Quote

lol.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#18]
So they have some reliability problems from what I am reading?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorta. Basically what is being said is that during the import and re-manufacturer of these rifles, there have been some QC issues with the incorrect thickness for the selector stops that are installed. So if you get a used one that doesn't run 100% then it might need the selector stop replaced. Also watch out for Gen1 mags they are not as good as gen2 units. Keep in mind that the SLR106 is 100% commercial gun for the US market. AR-M4SF (milled) is the milspec version of the SAM5. They do share the same mag and bolt / carrier.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorta. Basically what is being said is that during the import and re-manufacturer of these rifles, there have been some QC issues with the incorrect thickness for the selector stops that are installed. So if you get a used one that doesn't run 100% then it might need the selector stop replaced. Also watch out for Gen1 mags they are not as good as gen2 units. Keep in mind that the SLR106 is 100% commercial gun for the US market. AR-M4SF (milled) is the milspec version of the SAM5. They do share the same mag and bolt / carrier.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not 100% true. They exported some to Nepal (maybe, can't remember the country).

Years ago on another forum some folks tracked down a few pics.....I'll try to find them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember also hearing about the 5.56mm Arsenal rifles having reliability issues 10-15 years ago. Was there any truth to it? If I were to find a used one could there be a reliability issue? All Arsenal 7.62 rifles I've used have been 100%, never ever 1 malfunction. As reliability is my main concern, should I stick to 7.62/5.45 Arsenals?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Mine has been a 100% thus far.  It would even fire some reloads which had the shoulder off enough they would not chamber in a specific ar.  It's been uneventful otherwise.  I only use circle 10 mags.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#23]
It was quite a while ago that they had problems--they're GTG now. Mine is 100% and one of the most pleasant rifles to shoot in my "arsenal" (Pun intended)
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a 106FR and a 106UR and have yet to have a malfunction out of either.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:15:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Years ago on another forum some folks tracked down a few pics.....I'll try to find them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

there are photos of SLR-106 type rifles in use by Bulgarian police and military.

the rumor still exists that the 106 has been out of civi  production to satisfy several large military contracts for them.

the early models had some FTF Issues and received a revised bullet guide and ramped chamber face.  if you find one lacking the ramped chamber face,  expect to have it done before the rifle runs 100%
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

there are photos of SLR-106 type rifles in use by Bulgarian police and military.

the rumor still exists that the 106 has been out of civi  production to satisfy several large military contracts for them.

the early models had some FTF Issues and received a revised bullet guide and ramped chamber face.  if you find one lacking the ramped chamber face,  expect to have it done before the rifle runs 100%
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have any pics (I'd like to see them).

I couldn't find the one I mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to own a 106, was one of my favorite rifles. Only reason I got rid of it was because I was consolidating platforms and didn't want the odd ball mags and don't trust the AR mag conversions.
Mine was 100% reliable with all 5.56 and .223 ammo using Circle 10 and Beryl mags.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Can't find the Bulgaria police photos now, but it was a couple of Bulgarian federal police guarding some building or bank. They had stamped SLR-106 type rifles, very obviously not AK-74M as they had C10 5.56 mags in them.

I found the Bulgaria mil photo I was thinking of, but it turned out to be a milled SA 5.56 Krink.

This is one photo of some of the SLR-106 export rifles

Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can't find the Bulgaria police photos now, but it was a couple of Bulgarian federal police guarding some building or bank. They had stamped SLR-106 type rifles, very obviously not AK-74M as they had C10 5.56 mags in them.

I found the Bulgaria mil photo I was thinking of, but it turned out to be a milled SA 5.56 Krink.

http://oi40.tinypic.com/96mg09.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://oi40.tinypic.com/96mg09.jpg

That is the pic I was searching for originally.

Only one I ever saw of export 106's.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top